NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – New research shows the COVID-19 variant, first discovered in India, is growing in North Texas and across the country.
“Looking at the way the delta variant has accelerated here in the United States in the last three weeks, by far, this could be the predominant strain at the rate that we’re going at,” said Dr. Nikhil Bhayani, an Infectious Disease Specialist with Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Alliance.
He said the growing presence of the delta variant is reminder about why vaccines are important.
“It does put pressure on the local governments, the health departments,” Dr. Bhayani said. “Of course people in general need to be aware that this is why we want to get vaccinated.”
The latest data from researchers at UT Southwestern shows the alpha variant, also known as the UK variant, remains dominant in North Texas.
It was found in about 60% of their sampled individuals, but that’s followed by a rise in the delta variant, now in more than 20% of those sampled.
“So thus far we’ve seen six cases in Dallas County,” said Dallas County Health and Human Services Director Dr. Philip Huang. “We know it’s present, you know, and that it’s sort of a race to get as many people vaccinated and slow this down.”
While not a large number, Dr. Huang said it’s a concern, especially with restrictions easing and vaccination rates falling.
“The greatest risk is for the people who have not received the vaccine, and so it is to their own peril to be going around without masks,” he said.
- McDonald’s offers COVID-19 vaccines, free food at select Bay Area locations [https://abc7news.com/mcdonalds-free-food-covid-19-vaccine-covid-vaccinations-stuff/10816998/]
- Attorney sues to stop ‘most severe’ vaccine mandate at Indiana University [https://www.foxnews.com/media/attorney-sues-stop-most-severe-vaccine-mandate-indiana-university]
- 10pc of population to be fully vaccinated by middle of July [http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/173152/10pc-of-population-to-be-fully-vaccinated-by-middle-of-july/]
- State govt targets 50K jabs per day [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/06/22/state-govt-targets-50k-jabs-per-day/]
- US announces sharing plan for 55mn Covid vaccine doses [https://www.mangalorean.com/us-announces-sharing-plan-for-55mn-covid-vaccine-doses/]
- Chinese vaccine maker aims to increase global markets Chinese vaccine maker aims to increase global markets [http://en.ce.cn/./main/latest/202106/22/t20210622_36660758.shtml]
- Day 1 Of New Vaccination Policy: India Vaccinates Record 85.96 Lakh People [https://pragativadi.com/day-1-of-new-vaccination-policy-india-vaccinates-record-85-96-lakh-people/]
- City Establishes Forward Command Post at TAPMC to Ensure Operations [https://english.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=A11F01CFC9F58C83&s=2DAEAA4B129010EA]
- Wenshan Second Precinct Promotes Anti-Fraud Concepts at Vaccination Sites [https://english.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=A11F01CFC9F58C83&s=CFED39D79C552306]
- Record 8.5 million vaccine doses given on day 1 of revised guidelines [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/record-8-5-million-vaccine-doses-given-on-day-1-of-revised-guidelines-121062200010_1.html]
- Chhattisgarh counters Centre’s report, says it records 0.95% vaccine waste [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/chhattisgarh-counters-centre-s-report-says-it-records-0-95-vaccine-waste-121062200083_1.html]
- Hek warns anti-vax gossipers [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/06/22/hek-warns-anti-vax-gossipers/]
- After 80 lakh vax jabs in a day, PM says ‘Well done India!’ [https://www.mangalorean.com/after-80-lakh-vax-jabs-in-a-day-pm-says-well-done-india/]
- New proposals would give patients ‘greater control over their health data’ [https://www.islandfm.com/news/uk/new-proposals-would-give-patients-greater-control-over-their-health-data/]
- I will jail you, use pig vaccine on you – Duterte to people who refuse Covid vaccination [https://businessmirror.com.ph/2021/06/22/i-will-jail-you-use-pig-vaccine-on-you-duterte-to-people-who-refuse-covid-vaccination/]
- Don’t wait for a vaccine of personal choice [https://www.omanobserver.om/article/1102480/oman/health/dont-wait-for-a-vaccine-of-personal-choice]
- US-China vaccine diplomacy rivalry crucial but will fade away: analysts [https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/us-china-vaccine-diplomacy-rivalry-crucial-but-will-fade-away-analysts-4296902.html]
- WHO to establish first vaccine tech transfer hub in South Africa [https://www.france24.com/en/africa/20210622-who-to-establish-first-vaccine-tech-transfer-hub-in-south-africa]
- Covid-19: How UAE’s virtual doctors helped speed up pandemic response [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/covid-19-how-uaes-virtual-doctors-helped-speed-up-pandemic-response]
- New Zealand approves Pfizer vaccine for young people from 12 to 15, but they’ll have to wait their turn [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/06/22/new-zealand-approves-pfizer-vaccine-for-young-people-from-12-to-15-but-they/1984011]
- Health chief: Same vaccines rejected by PA being given to our kids ‘right now’ [https://www.timesofisrael.com/health-chief-same-vaccines-rejected-by-pa-being-given-to-our-kids-right-now/]
- Most poorer countries do not have enough COVAX shots, WHO says [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-22/most-poorer-countries-do-not-have-enough-covax-shots/100233082]
- VACCINE LIMBO [https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/vaccine-limbo/article_1d9fa26c-d2f1-11eb-ae0f-7b492e0190ce.html]
- “Well done India”: PM Modi [https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40002304]
- Philippines will be among last in Asia to achieve herd immunity – UK think tank [https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40002306]
- The unvaccinated will need to ‘deal with consequences’ [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6260036599001]
- Victorians support COVID rule exemptions for fully vaccinated [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6260050065001]
- No evidence children will be exclusively affected if third wave hits [https://kathmandupost.com/health/2021/06/22/no-evidence-children-will-be-exclusively-affected-if-third-wave-hits]
- Korea meets first vaccine target: 13 million people get one dose [https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40002307]
- ‘No doubt’ there is a lack of vaccine supply: AMA President [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6260023907001]
- Hong Kong to cut quarantine time for vaccinated travelers [https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40002305]
- Joe Biden in danger of failing two major Covid milestones as US vaccination rates decline [https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1452856/Joe-biden-news-usa-coronavirus-vaccinations-July-4-milestone-70-percent-ont?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-world-news+%28Express+%3A%3A+World+Feed%29]
- New Zealand approves Pfizer vaccine for young people from 12 to 15, but they’ll have to wait their turn [https://theconversation.com/new-zealand-approves-pfizer-vaccine-for-young-people-from-12-to-15-but-theyll-have-to-wait-their-turn-163158]
- Vaccination for factory workers should be expedited, says MEF [https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/06/22/vaccination-for-factory-workers-should-be-expedited-says-mef/]
- SoCot fast-tracks Covid-19 vaccine rollout [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1144392]
- Over 325K Covid-19 shots administered in W. Visayas [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1144427]
- World Bank, African Union join forces to expand access to COVID-19 vaccines [https://news.trust.org/item/20210621234322-r3kjb]
- S. Korea reports 395 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday : ARIRANG [https://www.arirang.com/News/News_View.asp?nseq=278915]
- UK reports another 10,633 coronavirus cases [https://www.siasat.com/uk-reports-another-10633-coronavirus-cases-2153981/]
- Sleeves Up For New Crest Lihir [https://www.looppng.com/coronavirus/sleeves-new-crest-lihir-101537]
- Delta coronavirus strain is growing fast in California, with risk for unvaccinated people [https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Delta-coronavirus-strain-is-growing-fast-in-16263766.php]
- Delta COVID variant poses more danger to the unvaccinated [https://www.pe.com/2021/06/21/delta-covid-variant-poses-more-danger-to-the-unvaccinated/]
- Cayman: COVID-19 Update 21 June 2021, ONE NEW positive, 88,911 total COVID-19 vaccinations given [https://www.ieyenews.com/cayman-covid-19-update-21-june-2021-one-new-positive-88911-total-covid-19-vaccinations-given/]
- Delta COVID variant poses more danger to the unvaccinated [https://www.pe.com/2021/06/21/delta-covid-variant-poses-more-danger-to-the-unvaccinated-2/]
- Victoria records zero new local cases of coronavirus [https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-victoria-update-no-new-local-cases-of-covid19/3668ca54-c216-44cd-827c-ce88ba0c43eb]
- Chhattisgarh govt counters Centre’s report, says state records 0.95 per cent Corona vaccine waste [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210622/3775236.html]
- New Zealand’s medical regulator gives provisional approval for Pfizer to be given to 12- to 15-year-olds [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-22/new-zealand-approval-for-pfizer-vaccine-12-15-year-olds/100233274]
- Himachal govt aims to vaccine 100 pc of population with first COVID dose by July 25 [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210622/3775237.html]
- Santa Clara Co. ‘phases out’ final local health order regarding masks in the workplace [https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-covid-19-cal-osha-santa-clara-county/10817994/]