A dose of the Pfizer-BioTech Covid-19 vaccine is pictured at the UiTM Hospital in Sungai Buloh March 2, 2021. ― Picture by Hari Anggara.
Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.
KUCHING, March 18 — Sarawak has crossed the halfway point in its aim to vaccinate some 2.2 million people with the Covid-19 vaccine, the State Disaster Management Committee (SDMC) revealed today.
It said in its Covid-19 daily update that as of 8am today, 1,223,080 people have registered for the vaccination programme throughout the state.
“Of that figure, a total of 788,012 individuals had registered with the Divisional Residens’ office and 435,068 via the MySejahtera (smartphone) application,” the committee said.
The vaccination programme was rolled out in Sarawak on February 26, with Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg among the first to be administered the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine.
The state is currently in the first phase of the vaccination programme for frontliners, and it aims to launch the second and third phases simultaneously next month for the elderly, those with comorbidities and those above 18 years old, including foreign residents.
Sarawak hopes to complete the vaccination programme in August this year, well ahead of the Federal government’s plan which was yesterday revised from the first quarter of next year to the end of this year.
On Sunday, Local Government and Housing Minister Dato Sri Dr Sim Kui Hian, in revealing that about a million Sarawakians had registered for the vaccination, said the state needs a minimum of 70 per cent of Sarawakians to be vaccinated.
He said with vaccines indicated only for those above 18 years old, this meant that 99 per cent of Sarawakians above 18 are to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.
“We want to be vaccinated as fast as possible and as many as possible not just to decrease our daily cases but also to prevent Covid-19 mutation into variants,” he said. — Borneo Post
- Taiwan clears AstraZeneca vaccines, shots may start next week [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/03/18/taiwan-clears-astrazeneca-vaccines-shots-may-start-next-week/1958762]
- V.I. Inmates Getting Vaccinated Against COVID [https://stthomassource.com/content/2021/03/17/v-i-inmates-getting-vaccinated-against-covid/]
- Immunization Director Reflects on COVID-19 Vaccination Effort [https://stthomassource.com/content/2021/03/17/immunization-director-reflects-on-covid-19-vaccination-effort/]
- The vaccine coming to T&T is safe, says Tobago doctor [https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/the-vaccine-coming-to-t-t-is-safe-says-tobago-doctor/article_c1c4304c-8747-11eb-90a5-57ebd0f29841.html]
- Report shows California lagging most states in vaccination equity [https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Report-shows-California-lagging-most-states-in-16033809.php]
- ARF Eastern Region COVID vaccine panel provides insight on protocols, efficacy [https://armenianweekly.com/2021/03/17/arf-eastern-region-covid-vaccine-panel-provides-insight-on-protocols-efficacy/]
- Lok Sabha MP who is a doctor tells govt not to “waste” Rs 35,000 crore on Covid vaccines [https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/lok-sabha-mp-who-is-a-doctor-tells-govt-not-to-waste-rs-35-000-crore-on-covid-vaccines-1780530-2021-03-18]
- US Nurse Charged With Stealing Two Syringes of COVID-19 Vaccine – Reports [https://sputniknews.com/society/202103171082374944-us-nurse-charged-with-stealing-two-syringes-of-covid-19-vaccine/]
- A growing sense of hesitancy as Lebanon’s vaccine rollout stutters [https://english.alarabiya.net/coronavirus/2021/03/17/Coronavirus-A-growing-sense-of-hesitancy-as-Lebanon-s-vaccine-rollout-stutters]
- Benefits outweigh the risks of AstraZeneca COVID shot as review continues: WHO [https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/03/18/21/benefits-outweigh-the-risks-of-astrazeneca-covid-shot-as-review-continues-who]
- Turkey reports over 18,900 daily virus cases [https://www.anews.com.tr/turkey/2021/03/17/turkey-reports-over-18900-daily-virus-cases]
- ‘Russians are pretty good scientists’: EU internal market chief says he has ‘no reason’ to doubt Sputnik V vaccine [http://voiceofvienna.org/2021/03/18/russians-are-pretty-good-scientists-eu-internal-market-chief-says-he-has-no-reason-to-doubt-sputnik-v-vaccine/]
- Work towards reduction of maternal and preventable diseases – Deputy Director [https://www.gna.org.gh/1.20397779]
- Modi warns of second wave of Covid-19 [http://www.uniindia.com/modi-warns-of-second-wave-of-covid-19/india/news/2346461.html]
- LS passes Demand for Grants for Health; Vardhan states vaccines not exported at expense of citizens [http://www.uniindia.com/ls-passes-demand-for-grants-for-health-vardhan-states-vaccines-not-exported-at-expense-of-citizens/parliament/news/2346534.html]
- UPDATE – Austrian Chancellor Wants EU To Authorize Use Of Sputnik V As Soon As Possible [https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/update-austrian-chancellor-wants-eu-to-auth-1197385.html]
- Greece calls for volunteer doctors to help state hospitals with Covid-19 [https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1157306/greece-calls-for-volunteer-doctors-to-help-state-hospitals-with-covid-19/]
- Austrian Chancellor Wants EU To Authorize Use Of Sputnik V As Soon As Possible [https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/austrian-chancellor-wants-eu-to-authorize-use-1197386.html]
- Lul Raka: The pandemic exposed Kosovo’s weak healthcare system [https://prishtinainsight.com/lul-raka-the-pandemic-exposed-kosovos-weak-healthcare-system/]
- More than half of Sarawak’s 2.2 million population targeted for Covid vaccination have registered for jab [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/03/17/confidence-in-vaccines-rises-after-data-on-over-70s-health-chief/]
- S.Africa’s Aspen Pharmacare to supply J&J’s COVID-19 vaccine by end-June [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=602709]
- Iraq sees daily record of 5,663 new COVID-19 cases [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/268138899/iraq-sees-daily-record-of-5663-new-covid-19-cases]
- Budapest mayor called on Orbán cabinet to stop fighting and start cooperating [https://dailynewshungary.com/budapest-mayor-called-on-orban-cabinet-to-stop-fighting-and-start-cooperating/]
- More than half of Sarawak’s 2.2 million population targeted for Covid vaccination have registered for jab [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/03/17/van-tam-evidence-suggests-no-increased-risk-of-blood-clots-from-astrazeneca-jab/]
- Health Minister Filipche: The number of infections on the rise, tightening of the measures will follow if the current ones don’t bring results [https://meta.mk/en/health-minister-filipche-the-number-of-infections-is-on-the-rise-and-there-will-be-a-tightening-of-measures-if-the-current-ones-dont-provide-favorable-results/]