Health workers inoculate their fellow health workers with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine at the Ospital ng Maynila on March 9, 2021. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN
MANILA — The Serum Institute of India has offered to help the Philippines produce its own vaccines, the country’s coronavirus strategy chief said on Wednesday.
National Task Force Against COVID-19 chief implementer Carlito Galvez said he secured this commitment from SII, the world’s largest vaccine maker, on a trip to India last week.
“Tayo rin po ay nakipag-usap sa Serum Institute of India upang pag-aralan ang posibilidad na ibalik ang kakayahan ng ating bansa na makapag-produce ng sarili nitong bakuna,” he said in the Kapihan sa Manila Bay forum.
(We also had discussions with the Serum Institute of India to talk about the possibility of restoring our country’s capability to produce its own vaccine.)
“Gusto po nilang tulungan tayo na tayo po ay makapag-produce ng sarili nating bakuna,” he added.
(They want to help to produce our own vaccine.)
The SII is bulk-manufacturing the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Britain’s AstraZeneca-Oxford University, and will soon start bulk-manufacturing the shot by US biotech firm Novavax.
Galvez said he has signed a supply deal with SII for 30 million Novavax shots, which will start arriving in the Philippines in the third or fourth quarter of 2021.
Philippines secures 30 million doses of Novavax COVID-19 vaccine – Galvez Watch more in iWantTFC
- DN: 34% of vaccine doses in Norway have gone to health personnel Norway’s health institute will consider quarantine exemptions for vaccinated people Norway’s health institute: We are running out of flu vaccines Health institute: Corona infection soared in February, R-number in Norway rose to 1.3 last week Health institute chief: The causes of vaccine-related deaths in Norway have not been analyzed yet [https://norwaytoday.info/news/dn-34-of-vaccine-doses-in-norway-have-gone-to-health-personnel/]
- Doctors and experts react to government suspension of AstraZeneca vaccine Doctors and experts react to government suspension of AstraZeneca vaccine [https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/doctors-and-experts-react-government-suspension-astrazeneca-vaccine]
- Official: There is currently no scientific basis for the elimination of the AstraZeneca vaccine [https://actmedia.eu/daily/official-there-is-currently-no-scientific-basis-for-the-elimination-of-the-astrazeneca-vaccine/91359]
- Mayawati demands free coronavirus vaccine for poor [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/national/mayawati-demands-free-coronavirus-vaccine-for-poor-677273]
- Andria Jagmaidze: The church cannot take responsibility for the promotion of vaccination, as the above is the competence and responsibility of health workers [https://www.interpressnews.ge/en/article/112396-andria-jagmaidze-the-church-cannot-take-responsibility-for-the-promotion-of-vaccination-as-the-above-is-the-competence-and-responsibility-of-health-workers]
- Cyprus decides to buy Russia’s Covid-19 vaccine pending EMA approval [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/cyprus-decides-to-buy-russia-s-covid-19-vaccine-pending-ema-approval-121031700159_1.html]
- UK health secretary says Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe [https://www.interpressnews.ge/en/article/112397-uk-health-secretary-says-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-is-safe]
- Chakwera told to investigate AstraZeneca blood clotting reports [https://malawi24.com/2021/03/17/chakwera-told-to-investigate-astrazeneca-blood-clotting-reports/]
- Jokowi shines light on Green Zone great escape for tourism [https://seminyaktimes.com/jokowi-shines-light-on-green-zone-great-escape-for-tourism/]
- Former US President Trump tells Republican supporters to get vaccinated [https://nilepost.co.ug/2021/03/17/former-us-president-trump-tells-republican-supporters-to-get-vaccinated/]
- Japan PM receives 1st dose of Pfizer vax [https://www.mangalorean.com/japan-pm-receives-1st-dose-of-pfizer-vax/]
- Vaccine nationalism may hit WHO’s 2021 goal of 2 bn doses: Adar Poonawalla [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/vaccine-nationalism-may-hit-who-s-2021-goal-of-2-bn-doses-adar-poonawalla-121031700389_1.html]
- Coronavirus update, March 17, 2021: Czech government to discuss possibility of reopening schools Longer interval between doses considered, one-third of Czechs against COVID vaccination, and EC could propose vaccination passports today. [https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/coronavirus-update-march-17-2021]
- Rwanda to continue using AstraZeneca vaccines: Minister [https://www.siasat.com/rwanda-to-continue-using-astrazeneca-vaccines-minister-2112034/]
- Moderna starts testing Covid-19 vaccine on young children, infants [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/moderna-starts-testing-covid-19-vaccine-on-young-children-infants-121031700204_1.html]