The White House is confirming that Canada has indeed asked the United States for help in procuring COVID-19 vaccine doses.
But press secretary Jen Psaki would only say they are considering the request, not whether the Biden administration has agreed to it.
Read more: Separating noise from signals: How ‘adverse reactions’ to COVID-19 vaccines are investigated
Psaki is repeating what she’s been saying for weeks: that President Joe Biden’s priority is to ensure every American is vaccinated first.
She says the U.S. is still fighting a “war” against COVID-19 and that dealing with the crisis on the home front is still job 1.
Psaki also says the White House understands the importance of making sure as many people around the world can get vaccinated in order to bring the pandemic under control.
A Bloomberg News report suggests Canada and Mexico will be at the top of the U.S. list when the time comes to begin sharing vaccine doses.
- Pfizer CFO hints at raising COVID-19 vaccine price, but company says ‘too early’ to tell [https://globalnews.ca/news/7702146/pfizer-covid-vaccine-pricing/]
- Victoria’s COVID-free streak stretches to 20 days [https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/victoria-s-covid-free-streak-stretches-to-20-days-20210318-p57br8.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- Ecuador health ministry raided over vaccine scandal [https://www.rfi.fr/en/ecuador-health-ministry-raided-over-vaccine-scandal]
- Chile’s red-hot inoculation drive reaches frozen continent of Antarctica [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antarctica/chiles-red-hot-inoculation-drive-reaches-frozen-continent-of-antarctica-idUSKBN2B92SM]
- Walz quarantines after staff member tests positive for virus [https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Teens-fueling-slight-increase-in-COVID-19-cases-16031951.php]
- Palestinians get 60,000 vaccine doses through WHO program [https://apnews.com/article/israel-coronavirus-vaccine-health-coronavirus-pandemic-west-bank-8ed67e886277ec05f74a0bb16e9d27ce]
- Chaos and frustration on first day of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine rollout in NSW [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-18/doctors-taken-by-suprise-as-practices-listed-for-vaccine-rollout/100014834]
- Philippines to shut border to foreigners [https://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/philippines-to-shut-border-to-foreigners/]
- ‘Chaos and confusion’: Opposition criticise online vaccine website crash [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6241355579001]
- Trump urges Americans to get COVID-19 vaccine: ‘I would recommend it’ [https://whdh.com/news/trump-urges-americans-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-i-would-recommend-it/]
- Government accused of causing chaos over vaccine booking platform crash [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6241373194001]
- Queensland doctors say wait for COVID-19 vaccination appointments at GP clinics could be weeks [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-18/queensland-coronavirus-wait-for-vaccinations-gps-take-weeks/100014052]
- Needle-free COVID-19 vaccines in the works, WHO scientist says [https://www.foxnews.com/health/needle-free-covid-19-vaccines-in-the-works-who-scientist-says]
- Latino vaccination rates lag in Texas. The problem is especially acute in the capital. [https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/03/17/latino-covid-19-vaccinations-texas-disparities/4726650001/]
- Oklahoma’s Chickasaw Nation Now Vaccinating Non-Members, Including Those From Out of State [https://www.newsweek.com/oklahomas-chickasaw-nation-now-vaccinating-non-members-including-those-out-state-1576947]
- Dozens of Trump Tower Workers Improperly Vaccinated, Hospital Admits [https://www.newsweek.com/trump-tower-staff-vaccinated-improperly-chicago-hospital-1576890]
- We Passed an American Rescue Plan. Next Up: The Global Rescue Plan | Opinion [https://www.newsweek.com/we-passed-american-rescue-plan-next-global-rescue-plan-opinion-1576601]
- White House says unvaccinated face great risks from travel [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-psaki/white-house-says-unvaccinated-face-great-risks-from-travel-idUSKBN2B92VC]