(Adds detail, context)
JOHANNESBURG, March 16 (Reuters) – South Africa’s drugs regulator SAHPRA said on Tuesday that it had approved a “section 21” emergency use application for the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech.
SAHPRA added in a statement that the approval was subject to further efficacy and safety surveillance of the vaccine in the country, including monitoring its efficacy against the dominant local coronavirus variant.
South Africa is the hardest-hit country on the African continent in terms of recorded coronavirus cases and deaths, and suffered a severe second wave of infections driven by the more infectious 501Y.V2 variant, first identified late last year.
It kick-started its vaccination campaign with Johnson & Johnson’s one-dose vaccine last month in a research study targeting up to 500,000 health workers.
But it has so far administered only 150,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, lagging wealthier nations on other continents that have already vaccinated millions of their citizens.
The government says it has secured 20 million doses of the two-dose Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in bilateral negotiations, with deliveries ramping up from the second quarter of the year.
It also hopes to receive 117,000 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine before the end of the month from the COVAX Facility, the global vaccine distribution scheme co-led by the World Health Organization and partners including the Gavi vaccines alliance.
(Reporting by Alexander Winning and Wendell Roelf; Editing by Steve Orlofsky)
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
- First children vaccinated in Moderna’s Phase 2/3 pediatric Covid-19 vaccine trial [https://news.az/news/first-children-vaccinated-in-modernas-phase-23-pediatric-covid-19-vaccine-trial]
- Coronavirus mass vaccination programme: Sindh decides to involve pvt hospitals, labs [https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/805274-coronavirus-mass-vaccination-programme-sindh-decides-to-involve-pvt-hospitals-labs]
- East Java has lost 106 nurses to COVID-19: Governor [https://en.antaranews.com/news/170146/east-java-has-lost-106-nurses-to-covid-19-governor]
- Iran starts domestic Covid-19 vaccine tests, curbs New Year trips [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/03/16/iran-starts-domestic-covid-19-vaccine-tests-curbs-new-year-trips/1958416]
- Local Councils’ Offer to Help Vaccinate Public Declined by Gov’t [https://hungarytoday.hu/local-councils-budapest-szombathely-offer-help-covid-vaccination-government/]
- China to permit Indians and people from 19 countries to return only if they take Chinese vaccines [https://morungexpress.com/china-to-permit-indians-and-people-from-19-countries-to-return-only-if-they-take-chinese-vaccines]
- 5.86 crore doses of ‘Made in India’ COVID-19 vaccines to 71 countries as grants, sales till Mar 15: Govt [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/5-86-crore-doses-of-made-in-india-covid-19-vaccines-to-71-countries-as-grants-sales-till-mar-15-govt]
- Covid Vaccines For Under 50s From Early April [https://www.islandfm.com/news/jersey-news/covid-vaccines-for-under-50s-from-early-april/]
- Somalia: Farmajo receives 1st dose of COVID vaccine [https://www.garoweonline.com/en/news/somalia/somalia-farmajo-receives-1st-dose-of-covid-vaccine]
- India supplied over 58 mn doses of Covid vax to 70 nations: Govt [https://www.siasat.com/india-supplied-over-58-mn-doses-of-covid-vax-to-70-nations-govt-2111624/]
- China approves another COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use [https://www.siasat.com/china-approves-another-covid-19-vaccine-for-emergency-use-2111531/]
- Home-grown Covid vax add luster to National Vaccination Day [https://www.siasat.com/home-grown-covid-vax-add-luster-to-national-vaccination-day-2111610/]
- Jubilation as King gets vaccine jab [https://www.thepost.co.ls/news/jubilation-as-king-gets-vaccine-jab/]
- Physicians in Gaza anxiously await broader vaccine rollout [https://mondoweiss.net/2021/03/physicians-in-gaza-anxiously-await-broader-vaccine-rollout/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=physicians-in-gaza-anxiously-await-broader-vaccine-rollout]
- No lockdown, DGHS urges to limit gatherings [https://www.tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/covid-19-bangladesh/no-lockdown-dghs-urges-limit-gatherings-217330]
- Covid-19: Sindh to vaccinate people above 18 in next phase [https://www.samaa.tv/living/health/2021/03/covid-19-sindh-to-vaccinate-people-above-18-in-next-phase/]
- Duterte wants mobile Covid-19 vaccination for informal settlers [https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/03/16/news/duterte-wants-mobile-covid-19-vaccination-for-informal-settlers/851865/]
- Iran starts domestic COVID-19 vaccine tests, curbs New Year trips [https://news.trust.org/item/20210316130605-b3cv8]