Portugal last night temporarily suspended AstraZeneca COVID-19 shots, amid reports of blood clots in some patients who had received the vaccine.
Officials here said around 170,000 people in Portugal have received the Oxford jab.
The vaccination task force had earlier announced that up to 80,000 teachers and school workers would be vaccinated this coming weekend, but this has now been postponed due to the suspension of AstraZeneca.
The schedule for vaccinating high-risk groups in Portugal remains in place.
The Azores and Madeira will also suspend the administration of the AstraZeneca vaccine against covid-19 following guidelines announced yesterday by Portugal’s Directorate General for Health, drugs watchdog Infarmed and the temporary suspension task force.
The suspension of the vaccine’s administration in Portugal came just one day after Infarmed and DGS declared that the AstraZeneca jab could continue to be administered. M
ore than a dozen countries have now suspended it as a “precaution”, after reports of serious cases of blood clots in people who have been vaccinated with doses of the AstraZeneca drug.
- Portugal suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccines as a “precaution” [https://algarvedailynews.com/news/18892-portugal-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccines-as-a-precaution]
- “No Indication” – European Medicines Agency delivers Update on AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine Latest: Bay Way Hoodie (Unisex) Read more: [https://bay.com.mt/no-indication-european-medicines-agency-delivers-update-on-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine/]
- Portugal temporarily suspends AstraZeneca shots [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/03/16/no-indication-astrazeneca-jab-linked-to-blood-clots-says-european-regulator/]
- Health Ministry Says AstraZeneca Vaccine Rollout Not Halted But Suspended [https://en.tempo.co/read/1442790/health-ministry-says-astrazeneca-vaccine-rollout-not-halted-but-suspended]
- Greece to continue using the vaccine [http://en.protothema.gr/which-countries-have-stopped-using-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-infographic/]
- Benefits of AstraZeneca vaccine continue to outweigh the risks, says EMA [https://dailynewshungary.com/benefits-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-continue-to-outweigh-the-risks-says-ema/]
- EU regulator ‘convinced’ AstraZeneca benefit outweighs risk [https://apnews.com/article/eu-regulator-astrazeneca-benefit-outweighs-risk-37c3f8fa9523c58576cbff6d9c13a103]
- EU regulator ‘convinced’ AstraZeneca benefit outweighs risk [https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/03/16/eu-regulator-convinced-astrazeneca-benefit-outweighs-risk/]
- EU drug agency declares ‘no indication’ AstraZeneca vaccine caused dangerous blood clots [https://www.9news.com.au/world/astrazeneca-vaccine-no-indication-it-caused-blood-clots-european-medicines-agency-says/8cf2f6a5-1428-4fbd-a7a8-8def01e69996]
- Germany postpones vaccination summit over AstraZeneca furor [https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20210316/news/303169963/]
- COVID-19 Vaccines: WHO admits small fraction of people may have allergic reaction [https://theeagleonline.com.ng/covid-19-vaccines-who-admits-small-fraction-of-people-may-have-allergic-reaction/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=covid-19-vaccines-who-admits-small-fraction-of-people-may-have-allergic-reaction]
- Sweden pauses AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccinations [https://www.tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/sweden-pauses-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccinations-217423]
- Health experts pour over AstraZeneca safety data as Europe reels from vaccine suspensions [https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/business/health-experts-pour-over-astrazeneca-safety-data-as-europe-reels-from-vaccine-suspensions/articleshow/81532062.cms]
- Safety experts to review AstraZeneca vaccine jab [https://www.tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/safety-experts-review-astrazeneca-vaccine-jab-217435]
- WHO warns against vaccine panic: “Countries should continue to vaccinate with AstraZeneca” Norway’s Health Minister: Norway is prepared for reduced deliveries of AstraZeneca’s vaccines Sweden puts use of AstraZeneca vaccines on hold Severe allergic reaction added to the list of AstraZeneca side effects Gaming Disorder is officially a diagnosis [https://norwaytoday.info/news/who-warns-against-vaccine-panic-countries-should-continue-to-vaccinate-with-astrazeneca/]
- Covid-19: Romania goes ahead with administering the AstraZeneca vaccine [https://www.romania-insider.com/ro-continues-astrazeneca-march-2021]
- COVID-19: Global health experts move to reassure Europe over Oxford-AstraZeneca jab – as side effects are investigated [https://www.islandfm.com/news/around-the-world/covid-19-global-health-experts-move-to-reassure-europe-over-oxford-astrazeneca-jab-as-side-effects-are-investigated/]
- Greek Health Authority Decides To Continue Using AstraZeneca Vaccine [https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/greek-health-authority-decides-to-continue-us-1195574.html]
- Several more countries suspend the use of AstraZeneca vaccines, says UN health agency head [https://asiaplustj.info/en/news/tajikistan/society/20210316/several-more-countries-suspend-the-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccines-says-un-health-agency-head]
- Experts: AstraZeneca jab safe, connection to clotting unproven [https://petra.gov.jo/Include/InnerPage.jsp?ID=33155&lang=en&name=en_news]