Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga will receive his first shot of Pfizer Inc.’s COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday as part of preparations to visit the United States next month, a government official said.
Suga is slated to get the second shot three weeks later before departing on the trip, in which he will be the first world leader to meet with U.S. President Joe Biden in person.
Japan has prioritized vaccinating health care workers before expanding the rollout to the rest of its population. Suga, 72, had previously said he would receive the shot after people aged 65 years or older become eligible in mid-April.
The official said Suga’s vaccination will likely be open to the press, following the example of leaders of other countries who have received their shots in front of cameras to ease concerns over the safety of COVID-19 vaccines that have been quickly developed using new technology. Biden, 78, did so in December before taking office.
To lower the risk of spreading the coronavirus during the April trip, Suga is keeping his entourage small and having everyone receive both shots before departure, according to the official.
In their meeting, Suga and Biden are expected to discuss efforts to realize a free and open Indo-Pacific amid China’s growing economic and military influence in the region, as well as global issues including the coronavirus pandemic and climate change.
The leaders attended a virtual meeting last week with their Australian and Indian counterparts, in which they agreed to cooperate to expand COVID-19 vaccine production for developing countries.
- PM Orban: The left’s anti-vaccine campaign will worsen Hungary’s crisis [https://rmx.news/article/article/pm-orban-the-left-s-anti-vaccine-campaign-will-worsen-hungary-s-crisis]
- Benefits of AstraZeneca vaccine outweigh risk – Portugal [https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/2021-03-15/benefits-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-outweigh-risk-portugal/58790]
- COVID-19 vaccine eligibility expanded to 40 years and older effective Thursday [https://www.pncguam.com/covid-19-vaccine-eligibility-expanded-to-40-years-and-older-effective-thursday/]
- Japan PM Suga to receive 1st shot of COVID-19 vaccine on March 16 Tokyo fashion week mixing real, virtual in fall and winter launch [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/03/15/two-vaccine-doses-offer-similar-covid-19-protection-as-prior-infection-study/]
- Govt Eyes to Complete COVID-19 Vaccinations for Would-be Hajj Pilgrims in May [https://en.tempo.co/read/1442457/govt-eyes-to-complete-covid-19-vaccinations-for-would-be-hajj-pilgrims-in-may]
- Hong Kong drags its heels on vaccination rate [https://asiatimes.com/2021/03/hong-kong-drags-its-heels-on-vaccination-rate/]
- Estonia to be able to vaccinate 300,000 people with Janssen vaccine [https://bnn-news.com/estonia-to-be-able-to-vaccinate-300000-people-with-janssen-vaccine-222955]
- GLOBALink | Chinese vaccine aid shows friendship with Middle East [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/268117783/globalink–chinese-vaccine-aid-shows-friendship-with-middle-east]
- Japan PM Suga to receive 1st shot of COVID-19 vaccine on March 16 Tokyo fashion week mixing real, virtual in fall and winter launch [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/03/15/nhs-staff-who-refuse-jabs-could-be-redeployed-to-less-exposure-prone-setting/]
- Northern Ireland CMO ‘delighted’ to receive AstraZeneza vaccine [https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0315/1204078-coronavirus-northern-ireland/]
- VMRO-DPMNE Accuses of Fraud with Vaccines, Filipce Announces Lawsuit [https://skopjediem.com/2021/03/15/vmro-dpmne-accuses-of-fraud-with-vaccines-filipce-announces-lawsuit/]
- Sekerinska claims that Macedonia has long met the COVAX conditions, but the Vaccine Alliance is silent [https://english.republika.mk/news/macedonia/sekerinska-claims-that-macedonia-has-long-met-the-covax-conditions-but-the-vaccine-alliance-is-silent/]
- Japan PM Suga to receive 1st shot of COVID-19 vaccine on March 16 Tokyo fashion week mixing real, virtual in fall and winter launch [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/03/15/foster-people-need-to-take-astrazeneca-jab-to-leave-lockdown-behind/]
- Vaccine arrivals to push pace of immunization in July-Dec: minister [https://en.antaranews.com/news/170018/vaccine-arrivals-to-push-pace-of-immunization-in-july-dec-minister]
- EXPLAINER: Why countries are halting the AstraZeneca shot [https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/EXPLAINER-Why-countries-are-halting-the-16026199.php]
- Almost 13 percent of healthcare workers already vaccinated–DOH [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/268118612/almost-13-percent-of-healthcare-workers-already-vaccinated–doh]
- EU can authorize Russia’s Sputnik V jab not earlier than in May, official says [https://tass.com/world/1265983]
- The Latest: Half of Italy’s regions under strict lockdown [https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-infectious-diseases-li-bin-china-mens-college-basketball-7733a272ee8a84c872ae1d427aa31170]
- ‘Covid-19 vaccine is safe, effective’ [https://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/headlines/covid-19-vaccine-is-safe-effective]
- Lumpy skin disease in Omaheke decrease [https://www.namibianewsdigest.com/lumpy-skin-disease-in-omaheke-decrease/]
- Number of daily vaccinated citizens varies between 1,000 to 2,000 people: Egypt’s Health Min. adviser [https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/99690/Number-of-daily-vaccinated-citizens-varies-between-1-000-to]
- Decline in number of coronavirus infections possible in 3 weeks [https://bnr.bg/en/post/101436825]
- 60-year-old woman who died after receiving AstraZeneca vaccine had ‘unusual symptoms’ [https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/health/article/2001406411/60-year-old-woman-who-died-after-receiving-astrazeneca-vaccine-had-unusual-symptoms]
- Belgium starts vaccinating general population today: how ‘reserve lists’ will work [https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/159996/belgium-starts-vaccinating-general-population-today-how-reserve-lists-will-work-over-65s-flanders-interfederal-leftover-vaccine-doses/]
- Morocco’s Ministry of Health Asks Citizens to Respect Vaccination Appointment [https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2021/03/337347/moroccos-ministry-of-health-asks-citizens-to-respect-vaccination-appointment/]
- COVID-19: Netherlands suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine [https://theeagleonline.com.ng/covid-19-netherlands-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=covid-19-netherlands-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine]
- Summer season starts from May 1: Bulgaria introduces green certificate for tourists [https://bnt.bg/news/summer-season-starts-from-may-1-bulgaria-introduces-green-certificate-for-tourists-293139news.html]
- EXPLAINER: Why countries are halting the AstraZeneca shot [https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20210315/news/303159963/]