Europe 07:17 GMT 04.03.2021Get short URL by Igor Kuznetsov 3111 Subscribe https://cdn1.img.sputniknews.com/img/07e4/0c/02/1081331417_0:211:3072:1939_1200x675_80_0_0_c460086be3bdc334eb26cbf6e537079f.jpg Sputnik International https://cdn2.img.sputniknews.com/i/logo.png Igor Kuznetsov. Sputnik International https://sputniknews.com/europe/202103041082250368-mayors-of-norwegian-municipalities-want-russias-sputnik-v-to-speed-up-pace-of-vaccination/
Amid vaccine shortages, many politicians in northern Norway see Russia’s Sputnik Vaccine as a way of ending the misery caused by the coronavirus pandemic, emphasising good-neighbourly relations and broad cross-border cooperation on various issues, including healthcare.
A nationwide vaccine deficit has pitted Norwegian municipalities against each other, and in the county of Finnmark that borders Russia’s Murmansk Oblast, several mayors would like to use the Russian vaccine to speed up the inoculation process.
Pål Gabrielsen of the Socialist Left party, acting mayor of Sør-Varanger, a municipality on the Russian border, decried the current lack of vaccines.
“This is a situation that should have been avoided by us contacting Russia and pushing for us to have access to the Sputnik V vaccine,” Gabrielsen told national broadcaster NRK. If he had been independent of national guidelines, he said, it would have been a natural part of the assessment to consider the Russian vaccine.
If the Russian vaccine is made available, the vaccination process would go faster, Gabrielsen insisted. This may be especially important after a change of vaccination plans announced by the Norwegian government. “There’s a tradition for neighbours to help each another”, Gabrielsen told the newspaper Klassekampen.
“I understand that Oslo has a desire to gain control of the infection. We must probably accept that differential treatment. But we have too few doses, and Sputnik V could have helped,” Gabrielsen argued.
Across Finnmark, several fellow mayors are in favour of the Russian vaccine, as long as it is approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA), NRK reported.
Hammerfest mayor Marianne Sivertsen Næss of the Labour Party told NRK that she would also like to speed up the vaccination process.
Lars Georg Fordal of the Barents Secretariat is also positive about the Sputnik V shot if it gets the green light from the EMA. He argued that it may be the solution to the misery brought by the pandemic.
“We’ve had cross-border cooperation on health issues for more than 30 years,” Lars Georg Fordal told the newspaper Klassekampen. “There’s no reason that Norway shouldn’t take contact with Russia to secure us some of their vaccine.”
“The issue is how many vaccines are available and how large the production of the Sputnik V vaccine is. As I understand it, some countries have bought the recipe for the Russian vaccine, so that they have been given the right to produce it themselves,” Fordal ventured to NRK.
© AP Photo / Zoltan Balogh Swedish Daily Dagens Industri Lambasts EU’s Vaccine Rollout, Urges to ‘Buy Sputnik V’ Marit Arnstad of the Centre Party is critical of the government’s actions to secure enough vaccines for Norway. She ventured that Sputnik V is a good candidate and suggested that the Norwegian Medicines Agency should review this vaccine on its own, without waiting for the EU’s approval.
According to the medical director at the Norwegian Medicines Agency, Steinar Madsen, contact has been established between the Russian vaccine manufacturer and the European Medicines Agency.
Sputnik V has been developed by the Gamaleya National Centre of Epidemiology and Microbiology and became the first vaccine in the world to be green-lit for use in fighting the coronavirus. With its 92 percent efficiency, it has been exported to 37 countries, with a combined population of 1.1 billion. Most recently, the Czech Republic, which recorded the highest infection rate per capita in the world, asked for a batch of the Russian vaccine.
The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), which is tasked with the vaccine’s distribution and promotion abroad, announced that Sputnik V rose to become “one of the world’s top three coronavirus vaccines” in terms of approvals issued by government regulators.
… Reddit Google+ Blogger Pinterest StumbleUpon Telegram WhatsApp 111
Norwegian Health Authorities Think Twice About Double Masking: One Is Enough, if Worn Properly New, Possibly More Contagious COVID-19 Strain Discovered in Norway Many Norwegians ‘Unprepared’ for ‘Unpleasant’ Vaccine Side Effects, Chief Physician Says Swedish Daily Dagens Industri Lambasts EU’s Vaccine Rollout, Urges to ‘Buy Sputnik V’ Tags: Sputnik V, vaccination, Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology, Scandinavia, Norway TrackDo not trackCommunity standardsDiscussion Сomment Add Comment Thank you! Your comment will be reviewed by the moderator for compliance with the Rules Add more Post limit reached. Please try again in a minute. Your comment contains a link, so it can’t be published on our site
Show more comments (20) Show new comments (0) Сomment Reply
in reply to(Show commentHide comment)
| | Edit | Delete Save Thank you! Your comment will be reviewed by the moderator for compliance with the Rules
- Live COVID-19 updates: Spain’s COVID-19 deaths surpass 70,000 [https://www.johannesburglife.com/news/267999642/live-covid-19-updates-spains-covid-19-deaths-surpass-70000]
- 1,000,000th person in Romania gets vaccinated against COVID-19 [https://actmedia.eu/daily/1-000-000th-person-in-romania-gets-vaccinated-against-covid-19/91158]
- He is President and over 70, Roque says on why Duterte gets to choose COVID-19 shot [https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/04/21/he-is-president-and-over-70-roque-says-on-why-duterte-gets-to-choose-covid-19-shot]
- Interpol: Fake COVID Jabs Found in China, South Africa ‘Tip of Iceberg’ in Vaccine-Related Crimes [https://sputniknews.com/world/202103041082250175-interpol-fake-covid-jabs-found-in-china-south-africa-tip-of-iceberg-in-vaccine-related-crimes/]
- Minister Poklukar presents an updated national vaccination strategy [https://www.gov.si/en/news/2021-03-02-minister-poklukar-presents-an-updated-national-vaccination-strategy/]
- Russia Can Supply Sputnik V Vaccine to 50Mn EU Residents After EMA Approval, RDIF Says [https://sputniknews.com/russia/202103041082252008-russia-can-supply-sputnik-v-vaccine-to-50mn-eu-residents-after-ema-approval-rdif-says/]
- Push to end tourist quarantine as shots rolled out [https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2078243/push-to-end-tourist-quarantine-as-shots-rolled-out]
- Italy to give just one COVID-19 vaccine shot to those previously infected [https://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/03/04/21/italy-to-give-just-one-covid-19-vaccine-shot-to-those-previously-infected]
- Madrid’s Vaccination of Essential Workers Causing Disruption as Sick Leaves Widespread [https://sputniknews.com/europe/202103041082251973-madrids-vaccination-of-essential-workers-causing-disruption-as-sick-leaves-widespread/]
- All you need to know about the COVID-19 vaccine Uganda will use [https://nilepost.co.ug/2021/03/04/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-covid-19-vaccine-uganda-will-use/]
- UK underscores its role in fighting pandemic as Uganda prepares to receive Covid-19 vaccine [https://nilepost.co.ug/2021/03/04/uk-underscores-its-role-in-fighting-pandemic-as-uganda-prepares-to-receive-covid-19-vaccine/]
- Covid-19: Czech president requests supply of Chinese vaccine Sinopharm [https://english.radio.cz/covid-19-czech-president-requests-supply-chinese-vaccine-sinopharm-8711018]
- Coronavirus update, March 4, 2021: Death toll crosses 21,000 as Czech Republic requests Chinese vaccine As new cases surpass 15,000, EU allots 100,000 extra vaccines to the Czech Republic and President Zeman requests Sinopharm vaccine from China. [https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/coronavirus-update-march-4-2021]
- Cambodian PM gets 1st dose of COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/268001575/cambodian-pm-gets-1st-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine]
- As Palestinians clamour for vaccine, their leaders divert doses to favoured few [https://bdnews24.com/world/middle-east/2021/03/04/as-palestinians-clamour-for-vaccine-their-leaders-divert-doses-to-favoured-few]
- Germany extends lockdown, but seeks way out with testing and jabs [https://www.bna.bh/en/Germanyextendslockdownbutseekswayoutwithtestingandjabs.aspx?cms=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1%2bDozcBhZKqqgESf4zltqw6ek%3d]
- COVID-19 vaccination of workers of educational sphere in Baku begins [https://news.az/news/covid-19-vaccination-of-workers-of-educational-sphere-in-baku-begins]
- Germany to approve AstraZeneca vaccine for over-65s [https://news.az/news/germany-to-approve-astrazeneca-vaccine-for-over-65s]
- China’s vaccine diplomacy falls flat in the Philippines [https://asiatimes.com/2021/03/chinas-vaccine-diplomacy-falls-flat-in-the-philippines/]
- Ghana Parliament needs more than 6,000 doses of vaccines – Speaker [https://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2021/03/04/ghana-parliament-needs-more-than-6000-doses-of-vaccines-speaker/]
- Govt Set 861 Sites to Administer Covid-19 Vaccine [https://www.zodiakmalawi.com/nw/national-news/65-news-in-central-region/3138-govt-set-861-sites-to-administer-covid-19-vaccine]
- South Kivu Movement Opposes Vaccination Against Covid-19 [https://taarifa.rw/south-kivu-movement-opposes-vaccination-against-covid-19/]
- One shot of two-dose COVID-19 vaccine can prevent serious illness, death [https://www.ghanabusinessnews.com/2021/03/04/one-shot-of-two-dose-covid-19-vaccine-can-prevent-serious-illness-death/]
- India Inc wants the government to loosen its tight grip on vaccine distribution [https://qz.com/india/1979964/premji-mahindra-bat-for-india-inc-in-covid-19-vaccine-plan/]
- Korea investigating possible links between vaccines and 2 post-inoculation deaths : ARIRANG [https://www.arirang.com/News/News_View.asp?nseq=273287]
- Vaccination of teachers to start next week [https://sloveniatimes.com/vaccination-of-teachers-to-start-next-week/]
- Vaccine equity in Maldives hailed by UN Resident Coordinator [https://raajje.mv/96200]
- Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin Phase 3 interim efficacy at 81 percent [https://businessmirror.com.ph/2021/03/04/bharat-biotechs-covaxin-phase-3-interim-efficacy-at-81-percent/]
- Sabah CM Hajiji receives Covid-19 jab, says ready to kick off statewide vaccination [https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2021/03/04/sabah-cm-hajiji-receives-covid-19-jab-says-ready-to-kick-off-statewide-vacc/1954784]
- Thai government considers future use of Covid-19 passports [https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thai-government-considers-future-use-of-covid-19-passports-345662]
- UK regulator says will fast-track vaccines for coronavirus variants [https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/health/article/2001405312/uk-regulator-says-will-fast-track-vaccines-for-coronavirus-variants]
- 10 groups of people are prohibited from receiving Sinovac vaccine [https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/10-groups-of-people-are-prohibited-from-receiving-sinovac-vaccine-345659]
- Fake Covid-19 vaccines seized in South Africa, China: Interpol [https://www.terradaily.com/reports/Fake_Covid-19_vaccines_seized_in_South_Africa_China_Interpol_999.html]
- Coronavirus; Chakwera, Chilima To Be Vaccinated First [https://www.faceofmalawi.com/2021/03/04/coronavirus-chakwera-chilima-to-be-vaccinated-first/]
- Kenya records 331 COVID cases as vaccination set to start [https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2021/03/kenya-records-331-covid-cases-as-vaccination-set-to-start/]