Ongoing delivery issues have further impacted Flanders’ coronavirus vaccination rollout, as 97,117 new vaccinations have been scheduled in the region for next week, a quarter less than the 130,000 doses this week, according to an update from the Agency for Care and Health.
This decrease is mainly due to significantly fewer vaccinations – 20,000 down from 75,000 this week – being planned in the region’s hospitals, which are relying only on the 92,000 available Pfizer doses, as Moderna’s vaccine will not be delivered at all.
All available AstraZeneca vaccines will go straight to the vaccination centres, where vaccinations will gradually increase to almost 52,000 next week, which is 30,000 more than the 21,500 shots administered there this week.
Next week, another 20,000 people with disabilities in collective care institutions will receive a vaccine, 6,000 more than this week. However, only 4,000 residents of service flats will be vaccinated, down from 15,000.
In residential care centres, the vaccination campaign will be finalised next week, after the last people, around 700 more, have been vaccinated with their second shots.
Currently, a total of almost 350,000 people living in Flanders have received their vaccination, equating to just over 5% of the region’s population.
On Wednesday, Flemish Health Minister Wouter Beke announced the vaccination rollout would be sped up following the advice from the Superior Health Council to also start using the AstraZeneca vaccine on people over 55 years old.
However, this change won’t be implemented until 15 March, and the vaccine manufacturer AstraZeneca has already announced that 13,900 fewer vaccines will be delivered during this week, which could result in further delays in the rollout.
The 72,100 doses delivered by AstraZeneca to the region this week will be saved for two weeks when they will be used for the frontline staff and the first people aged over 85 who expect to receive their shots in the vaccination centres.
Lauren Walker The Brussels Times
- Nzimande vows to invest millions to allow SA scientists, pharmaceuticals to produce locally branded Covid-19 vaccine [https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/nzimande-vows-to-invest-millions-to-allow-sa-scientists-pharmaceuticals-to-produce-locally-branded-covid-19-vaccine-e7fa28f0-6b05-4eb4-af84-d6eefc6a3312]
- Most African countries to begin Covid-19 vaccination drives by end of March, says WHO [https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/most-african-countries-to-begin-covid-19-vaccination-drives-by-end-of-march-says-who-8afb7461-5cbb-55b8-a7eb-4433f88e12c2]
- COVID-19: Morocco Set to Receive 1,608,000 Vaccines Through COVAX [https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2021/03/336571/covid-19-morocco-set-to-receive-1608000-vaccines-through-covax/]
- Seychelles to accelerate COVID-19 vaccination programme ahead of tourism re-opening [http://www.seychellesnewsagency.com/articles/14454/Seychelles+to+accelerate+COVID-+vaccination+programme+ahead+of+tourism+re-opening]
- Mardani: Gov’t Unlikely to Complete COVID-19 Vaccination Target in a Year [https://en.netralnews.com/news/currentnews/read/29034/mardani.gov.t.unlikely.to.complete.covid.19.vaccination.target.in.a.year]
- Hungary tightens pandemic restrictions amid rising deaths [https://wtop.com/europe/2021/03/hungary-tightens-pandemic-restrictions-amid-rising-deaths/]
- First Johnson & Johnson shots delivered into the arms of Massachusetts residents [https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/03/04/first-johnson-johnson-shots-delivered-into-the-arms-of-massachusetts-residents/]
- COVID-19: San Diego Zoo’s great apes given experimental coronavirus vaccine after becoming infected [https://www.islandfm.com/news/technology/covid-19-san-diego-zoos-great-apes-given-experimental-coronavirus-vaccine-after-becoming-infected/]
- COVID-19 in Iceland: South African Variant Detected at Border [https://www.icelandreview.com/society/covid-19-in-iceland-south-african-variant-detected-at-border/]
- Rwanda earmarks 51 million dollars for buying COVID-19 vaccines [https://www.gna.org.gh/1.19980915]
- Govt won’t force vaccination — Palace [https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/03/04/news/govt-wont-force-vaccination-palace/847339/]
- 1K medical front-liners in R1MC to get Sinovac vaccine [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1132546]
- Duterte prefers China’s Sinopharm vaccine [https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/03/04/news/latest-stories/duterte-prefers-chinas-sinopharm-vaccine/847371/]
- WHO: ‘British’ coronavirus strain detected in 43 European countries [https://report.az/en/other-countries/who-british-coronavirus-strain-detected-in-43-european-countries/]
- Duterte: China to donate another 400,000 vaccines to PH [https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/03/04/news/duterte-china-to-donate-another-400000-vaccines-to-ph/847383/]
- No politics in getting access to Covid-19 vaccines: Go [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1132638]
- Zaev announced 21,000 doses of Pfizer vaccine by the end of March [https://english.republika.mk/news/macedonia/zaev-announced-21000-doses-of-pfizer-vaccine-by-the-end-of-march/]
- Celebrities urged to not spread anti-vaccine sentiments, says Karyawan president [https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2021/03/04/celebrities-urged-to-not-spread-anti-vaccine-sentiments-says-karyawan-presi/1954922]
- Task Force Claims Sinovac Vaccine Effective to Tackle New Covid-19 Variant [https://en.tempo.co/read/1438850/task-force-claims-sinovac-vaccine-effective-to-tackle-new-covid-19-variant]
- Czech president asks China for the Sinopharm vaccine [https://rmx.news/article/article/czech-president-asks-china-for-the-sinopharm-vaccine]
- Military, Police urged to assist in expediting vaccination: Minister [https://en.antaranews.com/news/169230/military-police-urged-to-assist-in-expediting-vaccination-minister]
- Adhere to protocols even after inoculation: Central Java Governor [https://en.antaranews.com/news/169233/adhere-to-protocols-even-after-inoculation-central-java-governor]