The Covax facility, operated by the World Health Organisation (WHO), announced on Tuesday the list of 142 countries, including Mozambique, that will receive 237 million doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine against the Covid-19 respiratory disease between March and May.
The Covax document states that Mozambique will receive 2,064,000 doses. Since each person should take two doses of the vaccine, this should be enough to vaccinate fully over a million people.
Outside of the Covax initiative, Mozambique has already received 200,000 doses of the vaccine produced by the Chinese company Sinopharm. Those vaccines have now been flown from Maputo to all provincial capitals, and the vaccination is expected to begin on Monday.
The Mozambican government has asked Covax for enough vaccines to cover 20 per cent of the population (about 6.5 million people) by the end of 2022. The figure of 20 per cent includes children – but if children are excluded from the figures, then 6.5 million is around 40 per cent of the population to be vaccinated.
The Mozambican government’s vaccination plan has not yet been published, but a summary of it is circulating on the Internet. In the first phase of vaccination, the priority groups are all health professionals (including community health agents, and trainees in health training institutes), followed by people aged 70 and above, and people aged between 15 and 69 who are at high risk of serious illness or death because of such risk factors as high blood pressure, obesity, asthma, heart disease or chronic lung diseases.
The groups to be covered in the second phase of vaccination are people aged between 15 and 69 with conditions such as tuberculosis and HIV, which put them at high risk of death; everyone aged between 50 and 69; key workers outside the health sector (including teachers, police, soldiers, firemen, emergency response staff, and workers in old people’s homes and in prisons); vulnerable groups such as transport workers, market sellers, and internally displaced people.
Source: AIM© 2021 clubofmozambique.com. All rights reserved.
- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen inoculated against COVID-19 [http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14239825]
- Thousands of fake doses of COVID-19 vaccines seized in China and South Africa [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-04/fake-covid-19-vaccine-doses-seized-in-china-south-africa/13216362]
- Queensland slowest in Australia to administer COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.9news.com.au/national/queensland-rollout-of-coronavirus-vaccine-slowest-in-australia/14778b8d-1f95-4fbc-aef4-21fcf44e7c45]
- UK to fund study on 3rd dose of COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.inform.kz/en/uk-to-fund-study-on-3rd-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine_a3760469]
- S. Korea’s COVID-19 vaccinations ramp up amid safety woes [https://www.inform.kz/en/s-korea-s-covid-19-vaccinations-ramp-up-amid-safety-woes_a3760377]
- California to devote 40% of vaccines to low-income communities [https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/03/california-to-devote-40-of-vaccines-to-low-income-communities/]
- California To Give 40% Of Vaccine Doses To Vulnerable Areas [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/03/03/california-to-give-40-of-vaccine-doses-to-vulnerable-areas/]
- Brazil reports new single-day record for COVID deaths [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/3/brazil-reports-new-single-day-high-of-covid-19-deaths]
- Indonesia courts controversy with private COVID vaccine scheme [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/4/indonesia-courts-controversy-with-private-covid-vaccine-scheme]
- Unrelated deaths bound to happen: former CHP head [https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1578648-20210304.htm]
- Peru receives 1st batch of Pfizer vaccine against Covid-19 [http://www.uniindia.com/peru-receives-1st-batch-of-pfizer-vaccine-against-covid-19/world/news/2334204.html]
- Spain exceeds 70,000 deaths by covid-19 [https://kenyannews.co.ke/world-news/world/spain-exceeds-70000-deaths-by-covid-19/]
- Health officer vaccinates Karnataka minister at home, gets show-cause notice [https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/health-officer-vaccinates-karnataka-minister-at-home-gets-show-cause-notice-1775372-2021-03-04]
- WHO: PH to be among biggest recipients of COVAX vaccines, 4.5M AstraZeneca doses coming [https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/04/21/who-ph-to-be-among-biggest-recipients-of-covax-vaccines-45m-astrazeneca-doses-coming]
- US ramps up COVID-19 vaccination efforts [https://www.siasat.com/us-ramps-up-covid-19-vaccination-efforts-2102675/]
- Moldova Health Ministry Approves Use Of 10 Types Of COVID-19 Vaccines, Including Sputnik V [https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/moldova-health-ministry-approves-use-of-10-ty-1184009.html]
- Infosys, Accenture to pay for vaccination of their staff [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/national/infosys-accenture-to-pay-for-vaccination-of-their-staff-675165]
- 8,559 vaccinated vs COVID-19 in Philippines so far: official [https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/04/21/8559-vaccinated-vs-covid-19-in-philippines-so-far-official]
- People still eager to get Covid vaccine: Patrick Nip [https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1578677-20210304.htm]
- UK study to test Covid-19 vaccine efficacy in people with low immunity [https://www.mangalorean.com/uk-study-to-test-covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-in-people-with-low-immunity/]
- Taiwan receives first shipment of Astra-Zeneca COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2021/03/03/taiwan-receives-first-shipment-of-astra-zeneca-covid-19-vaccine.html]
- Ghana begins mass vaccination program against Covid-19 [https://www.mangalorean.com/ghana-begins-mass-vaccination-program-against-covid-19/]
- Vaccine safe: Malik after taking first jab [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/03/04/vaccine-safe-malik-after-taking-first-jab/]
- ‘When will it end?’: How a changing virus is reshaping scientists’ views on COVID-19 [https://bdnews24.com/health/2021/03/04/when-will-it-end-how-a-changing-virus-is-reshaping-scientists-views-on-covid-19]
- Live COVID-19 updates: Spain’s COVID-19 deaths surpass 70,000 [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267999642/live-covid-19-updates-spains-covid-19-deaths-surpass-70000]
- Govt targets 80,000 for vaccine priority [https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/govt-targets-80-000-for-vaccine-priority/article_d3389e68-7c8d-11eb-870f-f7861a44ec7b.html]
- S.Africa says J&J, Pfizer, Moderna vaccines those for “immediate use” [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=589215]
- PM: We’re on the right track [https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/pm-were-on-the-right-track/article_909a7acc-7c8d-11eb-b7a7-e3adb0f3d400.html]
- Germany, Belgium recommend AstraZeneca for seniors [https://asiatimes.com/2021/03/germany-belgium-recommend-astrazeneca-for-seniors/]
- SA records 1,447 new COVID-19 cases, 95 deaths [https://www.enca.com/news/sa-records-1447-new-covid-19-cases-95-deaths]