The UK has increased its order of French vaccine candidate Valneva – securing 40 million additional doses for 2022, Sky News reports.
Some 60 million doses had already been agreed upon but the latest negotiation is a signal the government is making preparations for the years ahead.
Britain could still order a further 90 million doses between 2023 and 2025, the company said.
The firm expects to report on its Phase I/II clinical trial within three months and commercial production has already begun in Scotland.
The Standard Channel IOS Android IOS Android More>>
“The further 40 million doses secured through today’s deal significantly bolsters our portfolio and gives us future flexibility should we need to revaccinate any of the UK population,” said interim chair of government’s vaccines taskforce, Clive Dix.
Valneva hopes its vaccine can start to be used in Britain between July and September.
- EU secures extra vaccines; Republicans to meet Biden over Covid relief plan [https://www.rfi.fr/en/business-and-tech/20210201-eu-secures-extra-vaccines-republicans-to-meet-biden-over-covid-relief-plan]
- Nat’l gov’t commits to providing vaccines for Marikina [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1129135]
- AstraZeneca Covid-19 Vaccine Safe for Elderly, Says Health Ministry [https://en.tempo.co/read/1428584/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-safe-for-elderly-says-health-ministry]
- UK orders 40m more doses of French vaccine candidate Valneva [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/02/01/residents-at-all-eligible-care-homes-offered-covid-jab-figures-set-to-confirm/]
- France delivers about 1.49 million vaccine shots as of Jan. 31 [https://news.trust.org/item/20210131185617-wv9x1]
- WHO team in Wuhan visits provincial disease control centre [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/asia/2021/02/01/who-team-in-wuhan-visits-provincial-disease-control-centre.html]