BOGOTA, Colombia, Fri. Jan 22, 2021 (Reuters) – Deaths from COVID-19 in Colombia have surpassed 50,000, the Ministry of Health said on Thursday, as reported coronavirus infections approached 2 million.
The Andean country has reported over 1.97 million cases of coronavirus, as well as 50,187 deaths from COVID-19, the disease it causes.
Colombia is dealing with a second wave of coronavirus infections. The country set a daily record of more than 20,000 cases last Friday, and intensive care unit occupancy rates exceed 90% in its three biggest cities, the capital Bogota, Medellin, and Cali.
The government has reached agreements to secure vaccine doses for 29 million people. These include 10 million doses each of the vaccines produced by Pfizer and BioNTech, and AstraZeneca, as well as nine million doses of the vaccine produced by Janssen, the pharmaceutical arm of Johnson & Johnson .
The country has also secured 20 million vaccine doses via the World Health Organization-backed COVAX mechanism.
While Colombia expects delivery of its first vaccine doses – produced by Pfizer – in the first week of February, the government has not given dates for expected vaccine deliveries.
(Reporting by Oliver Griffin Editing by Alistair Bell)
- Nepal to rely mostly on foreign aid to buy Covid-19 vaccines for its people, officials say [https://kathmandupost.com/national/2021/01/22/nepal-to-rely-mostly-on-foreign-aid-to-buy-covid-19-vaccines-for-its-people-officials-say]
- Africa’s long wait for the Covid-19 vaccine [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55751714]
- Pfizer vaccine could be delayed as government monitors shortages overseas [https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/pfizer-vaccine-could-be-delayed-as-government-monitors-shortages-overseas-20210122-p56w55.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- NHS medics break cover to condemn ‘dangerous’ decision to delay second dose of Covid jab [https://newslanes.com/nhs-medics-break-cover-to-condemn-dangerous-decision-to-delay-second-dose-of-covid-jab/]
- Japan to start coronavirus vaccinations with Pfizer vaccines [https://www.todayonline.com/world/japan-start-coronavirus-vaccinations-pfizer-vaccines]
- PM to interact with beneficiaries, vaccinators of Covid inoculation drive [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/pm-to-interact-with-beneficiaries-vaccinators-of-covid-inoculation-drive-121012200103_1.html]
- EU leaders see ‘dark red’ and urge Brussels to speed up vaccine delivery [https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-leaders-see-dark-red-as-pandemic-worsens-and-urge-brussels-to-speed-up-vaccine-delivery/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=RSS_Syndication]
- One mn doses for Nepal: Kathmandu urges India for continued vaccines supply [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/one-mn-doses-for-nepal-kathmandu-urges-india-for-continued-vaccines-supply-121012200124_1.html]
- India to dispatch ‘Covishield’ vaccine to Myanmar, Seychelles, Mauritius [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-to-dispatch-covishield-vaccine-to-myanmar-seychelles-mauritius-121012200107_1.html]
- Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines’ reduction in supplies causes dissatisfaction within EU [https://www.b92.net/eng/news/world.php?yyyy=2021&mm=01&dd=21&nav_id=110237]
- Japan to start coronavirus vaccinations with Pfizer vaccines [https://news.trust.org/item/20210122003825-xhrh3]
- Japan reports 5,652 new COVID-19 cases as gov’t nears vaccination rollout [http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0122/c90000-9812045.html]
- Mexico fatalities from COVID-19 rise to single-day record of 1,803 [https://news.trust.org/item/20210122002954-y9rvd]
- WHO plans slew of COVID-19 vaccine approvals for global rollout [http://www.newsgd.com/news/2021-01/22/content_192011080.htm]
- Lines Form At The Forum Vaccination Site As Residents 65 And Older Become Eligible To Receive The Shot [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/21/la-county-vaccination-sites-covid-vaccine-65-older/]
- Getting a COVID-19 vaccine is a confusing maze for many CA seniors; largely depends on luck [https://abc7news.com/society/for-many-ca-seniors-getting-covid-vaccine-is-luck-of-the-draw/9885057/]
- COVID-19: The latest on vaccinations in the suburbs [https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210121/covid-19-the-latest-on-vaccinations-in-the-suburbs]
- Northam urges patience as shortages hinder COVID-19 vaccine rollout [https://wtop.com/virginia/2021/01/northam-urges-patience-as-shortages-hinder-covid-19-vaccine-rollout/]
- Florida limits COVID vaccinations to state residents [https://wsvn.com/news/local/florida/florida-limits-covid-vaccinations-to-state-residents/]
- Australian government closely watching third variant of COVID-19 discovered in Brazil and Japan [https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-australia-third-variant-of-covid19-discovered-in-brazil-and-japan/ef3fd415-ac4a-40f5-9e8e-4da0cc0b399d]
- Opinion | Vaccines now! [https://mexicotoday.com/2021/01/21/opinion-vaccines-now/]
- Hungary breaks ranks with EU to license Russian vaccine [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/hungary-breaks-ranks-with-eu-to-license-russian-vaccine-sputnik-v]
- Texas doc accused of taking damaged vial of COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2021/01/21/texas-doc-accused-of-taking-damaged-vial-of-covid-19-vaccine.html]
- Doctor Fired For Allegedly Stealing 9 Doses of COVID Vaccine for Family and Friends [https://www.newsweek.com/doctor-fired-allegedly-stealing-9-doses-covid-vaccine-family-friends-1563548]
- South Africa to get 9 million J&J vaccine shots – ministry [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=566518]
- After Co-WIN update, Lok Nayak vaccinates 100% beneficiaries, Manipal 107% [https://www.siasat.com/after-co-win-update-lok-nayak-vaccinates-100-beneficiaries-manipal-107-2073083/]