SINGAPORE – Mr Gerard Ee, chairman of the Charity Council and the Agency for Integrated Care (AIC), has full faith in Singapore’s medical system.
Hence, the 71-year-old hopes to be one of the “front-runners” among seniors to receive the Covid-19 vaccine – to inspire confidence in it among his friends who may be worried about its safety.
“I’m very confident that our people have done a very thorough job before approving the vaccine…and we have a reliable healthcare system,” he said. “And (getting vaccinated) is not only to protect myself, but my family too.”
Mr Ee said there are all sorts of contradictory information on the vaccine circulating on social media.
But he chooses to place his trust in the medical professionals in Singapore to assess its safety, as there is just too much data for the man on the street to understand it thoroughly.
The retired accountant said: “It’s foolish for a lay person to see or listen to things they may not understand on social media and trust it.
“The greatest fear is fear itself. Throughout history, there are often a lot of negativities surrounding a (new) inoculation at first.”
In 2007, Mr Ee was diagnosed with stage three colon cancer but it has been in remission for over a decade now.
A Health Ministry advisory says those whose cancer is in remission can be vaccinated, noted Dr Leong Hoe Nam, an infectious diseases specialist from Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital.
Mr Ee is chairman of the AIC, which was set up by the Health Ministry to co-ordinate and support efforts in care integration.
“And even though I’m the AIC chairman, I can say no and don’t have it (the vaccination). We are not forced,” he said.
“Common sense tells me it’s for my own good and for my family’s good.”
Should I get the Covid-19 vaccine? What you need to know
Nursing homes in Singapore prepping for Covid-19 vaccination; seniors share fears of side effects
Join ST’s Telegram channel here and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.
- Norway elderly deaths could be isolated incident, benefits of Covid-19 vaccine outweigh risks: Experts [https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/norway-elderly-deaths-could-be-isolated-incident-benefits-of-covid-19-vaccine-outweigh]
- Government warns against Covid-19 vaccine conspiracy theories [https://www.chronicle.co.zw/government-warns-against-covid-19-vaccine-conspiracy-theories/]
- Nursing homes in Singapore prepping for Covid-19 vaccination; seniors share fears of side effects [https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/nursing-homes-in-singapore-prepping-for-covid-19-vaccination-seniors-share-fears-of]
- Oxford scientists preparing vaccine versions to combat emerging virus variants -The Telegraph [https://news.trust.org/item/20210120210951-nfop5]
- Pfizer vaccine likely works against UK variant: studies [https://www.malaymail.com/news/life/2021/01/21/pfizer-vaccine-likely-works-against-uk-variant-studies/1942520]
- Chinese health experts advise Australia to halt approval for Pfizer vaccine following Norwegian deaths [https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1213297.shtml]
- Application for approval of Russia’s vaccine Sputnik V submitted to WHO [https://news.az/news/application-for-approval-of-russias-vaccine-sputnik-v-submitted-to-who]
- Care integration chairman Gerard Ee confident of Covid-19 vaccine [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/20/call-for-daily-figures-on-vaccine-rollout-to-different-ethnic-groups/]
- Chile approves emergency use of vaccine made by China’s Sinovac [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267595900/chile-approves-emergency-use-of-vaccine-made-by-chinas-sinovac]
- Cambodia turns to China for Covid-19 vaccines [https://english.cambodiadaily.com/china/cambodia-turns-to-china-for-covid-19-vaccines-171836/]
- South Africa to get 9 million J&J vaccine shots – ministry [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=565962]
- WHO plans slew of COVID-19 vaccine approvals for global rollout [https://www.todayonline.com/world/exclusive-who-plans-slew-covid-19-vaccine-approvals-global-rollout-document]
- Covid: When will I get the vaccine? [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639]
- “Do Not Panic, You Will Get A Vaccine,” Says WHO [https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/do-not-panic-you-will-get-a-vaccine-says-world-health-organization-2355638]
- WHO Not Aware of Any Deaths Linked to Use of Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine, Expert Says [https://sputniknews.com/world/202101201081829033-who-not-aware-of-any-deaths-linked-to-use-of-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-expert-says/]
- African countries to pay $3/$10 per COVID-19 vaccine dose under AU plan [https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/african-countries-to-pay-3-10-per-covid-19-vaccine-dose-under-au-plan/]
- Covid-19 shots to cost $3 to $10 under African Union vaccine plan [https://www.johannesburglife.com/news/267593629/covid-19-shots-to-cost-3-to-10-under-african-union-vaccine-plan]