A further 1,820 people have died within 28 days of testing positive for COVID-19 – the highest number of UK deaths reported on a single day since the outbreak began.
It surpasses the previous record number announced yesterday of 1,610.
Since the start of the pandemic, a total of 93,290 people have now died in the UK within 28 days of a positive COVID test.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has warned “there will be more to come” when asked by reporters about the record number of deaths.
The government said there were another 38,905 coronavirus cases recorded in the past 24 hours, compared to 33,355 a day earlier. It takes the UK infection total to 3,505,754.
Meanwhile, it has been revealed that 12 January this year was the UK’s deadliest day so far in the pandemic, when 1,110 COVID-related deaths took place.
On 11 January, there were 1,085 deaths while on 13 January some 1,077 people lost their lives to COVID.
All three days have passed 8 April 2020 – the previous day when most people died (1,073).
It is possible these totals will increase as more data is reported over the coming days.
In total, there are now six days on which more than 1,000 people died with COVID in the UK. All but one of them (8 April) were this month – consecutive days between 10 and 14 January.
New figures from the vaccine programme show a further 343,163 people have been given a first jab, taking the total to 4,609,740 up to 19 January.
Ahead of the latest data being published, the UK was facing questions as to its vaccination strategy after a study of Israeli jab data suggested that the efficacy of one dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is just 33%.
The government has previously said that efficacy was “around 90%”, starting 14 days after the first dose.
In response, Sir Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser, told Sky News the UK will need to “keep measuring the numbers” as the vaccine is rolled out across the UK.
While the UK compares favourably to other countries when it comes to vaccination, two doses are needed for the most comprehensive protection.
To date, just over 460,000 people have had a second jab, following an increase of 3,759 on figures released the previous day.
© Sky News 2021
- Russian Coronavirus Vaccines Have Full Potential To Compete With Others – Envoy To EU [https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/russian-coronavirus-vaccines-have-full-potent-1146888.html]
- Russia files for Sputnik vaccine registration in EU [https://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/russia-files-for-sputnik-vaccine-registration-in-eu/]
- Breton: Jab certificates not enough to ensure free movement [https://www.euractiv.com/section/eu-council-presidency/news/breton-jab-certificates-not-enough-to-ensure-free-movement/]
- FURIOUS Sturgeon accuses Tories of ‘briefing and spinning misleading’ coronavirus figures [https://newslanes.com/furious-sturgeon-accuses-tories-of-briefing-and-spinning-misleading-coronavirus-figures/]
- Vatican vaccinates homeless against coronavirus [https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/vatican-vaccinates-homeless-against-coronavirus-1.5274411]
- As virus surges, states reporting shortages of vaccine [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2021/01/20/as-virus-surges-states-reporting-shortages-of-vaccine.html]
- Should COVID-19 vaccination give people the “basic rights” to avoid lockdown restrictions? [https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vaccine-basic-rights-vaccination-avoid-lockdown-restrictions-freedom-germany/]
- Pregnant women added to coronavirus vaccine priority list in Israel after several hospitalizations [https://globalnews.ca/news/7587954/israel-pregnant-women-vaccines/]
- Netanyahu proposes international corporation to battle pandemics [https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2021/01/israel-austria-benjamin-netanyahu-sebastian-kurz-coronavirus.html]