Pakistan approves Chinese Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use
Published: 19 Jan 2021 11:46 AM BdST Updated: 19 Jan 2021 11:46 AM BdST
Pakistan on Monday approved the Chinese Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use, a government statement said, two days after AstraZeneca’s vaccine developed with Oxford University received a similar authorisation.
The Drug Regulatory Authority Pakistan (DRAP) said the vaccine, manufactured by China National Pharmaceutical Group (SinoPharm), had been given emergency use approval (EUA).
Pakistan’s health ministry has said the country was in process of speaking to different vaccine makers.
“The two COVID-19 vaccines have been granted EUA with certain conditions,” a DRAP’s spokesman said, adding that both vaccines have been evaluated for their safety and quality.
The authorisation will be reviewed on quarterly basis for further data regarding safety, efficacy and quality, the spokesman said.
Pakistan has been engaging with a number of vaccine makers, health minister Faisal Sultan said over the weekend, adding that the country could get “in the range of tens of millions” of vaccine doses under an agreement with China’s Cansino Biologics Inc.
The vaccine company’s Ad5-nCoV COVID-19 candidate is nearing completion of Phase III clinical trials in Pakistan. The preliminary results of the Cansino vaccine may come in by mid-February, Sultan said.
However, Pakistan has yet to place an order to procure any vaccine.
The minister said Pakistan planned to cover vaccines for the majority of the population for free, adding that private companies could also be allowed to import and sell vaccines once supply was available to an authorised company.
Pakistan reported 1,920 new coronavirus infections and 46 deaths on Monday, taking the total number of cases to more than 521,212 with fatalities approaching 11,000.
- Australia to go ahead with Pfizer vaccine despite elderly deaths: vaccine adviser [http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0119/c90000-9810927.html]
- Pakistan approves Chinese Sinopharm COVID -19 vaccine [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267577312/pakistan-approves-chinese-sinopharm-covid–19-vaccine]
- Philippine President Duterte praises safety of Chinese COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267577263/philippine-president-duterte-praises-safety-of-chinese-covid-19-vaccine]
- Brazil authorizes CoronaVac and Oxford injections amid rising cases [https://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202101/19/WS6004de1ca31024ad0baa32c8.html]
- Philippine President Duterte praises safety of Chinese COVID-19 vaccine [http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0119/c90000-9810949.html]
- Brazil starts vaccinations amid rise in COVID cases and new variants [https://bdnews24.com/world/americas/2021/01/19/brazil-starts-vaccinations-amid-rise-in-covid-cases-and-new-variants]
- TABIB: Vaccine used in Azerbaijan also effective against new COVID-19 strain [https://news.az/news/tabib-vaccine-used-in-azerbaijan-also-effective-against-new-covid-19-strain]
- South Africa to get 9 million J&J vaccine shots – ministry [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=565797]
- Oxford-developed vaccine could beat China’s for limited use in Thailand [https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/oxford-developed-vaccine-could-beat-chinas-for-limited-use-in-thailand/]
- Duterte says Filipinos can use Pfiser vaccine, but touts Sinovac deal [https://www.intellasia.net/duterte-says-filipinos-can-use-pfiser-vaccine-but-touts-sinovac-deal-856432]
- WHO hopes poorer nations can access Pfiser vaccine ‘very soon’ [https://www.intellasia.net/who-hopes-poorer-nations-can-access-pfiser-vaccine-very-soon-856428]
- PM Suga vows Olympics will be proof of victory over virus [http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14116773]
- Vaccination against COVID-19 in Brazil to kick off Wednesday [https://www.inform.kz/en/vaccination-against-covid-19-in-brazil-to-kick-off-wednesday_a3742578]
- Continuum of risk [https://kathmandupost.com/editorial/2021/01/18/continuum-of-risk]
- Thailand’s Tourism Industry and Coronavirus 2021 [https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/thailands-tourism-industry-and-coronavirus-2021-340804]
- Thai Health Ministry assures safety of COVID-19 vaccines, public injections in June [https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thai-health-ministry-assures-safety-of-covid-19-vaccines-public-injections-in-june-340785]
- PM ‘swaps notes’ with ‘first mover’ nations on pandemic action [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6223869979001]
- Fears COVID-19 vaccine rollout may exacerbate global inequality [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6223954656001]
- Flu jabs likely be delayed for priority COVID-19 vaccinations in South Australia [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-19/flu-jab-to-be-delayed-for-covid-vaccinations-in-sa/13067506]
- Asia Today: China sees virus outbreaks across its northeast [https://wtop.com/asia/2021/01/asia-today-china-sees-virus-outbreaks-across-its-northeast/]
- Brazil begins COVID vaccinations amid delay of ingredient imports [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/18/brazil-vaccinations-start-amid-delayed-imports-of-ingredients]