Tirupati: Those who were expected to become brand ambassadors for Covid vaccination themselves seem to be lacking confidence. This was evident from the poor turnout of health workers who were identified for taking the jab during the Phase-1 of inoculation.
In the run-up to the mega programme, it was widely felt that doctors’ fraternity was eagerly waiting to get the jab and the allotted 100 vaccines per day to each centre may not be sufficient.
But the targeted beneficiaries surprised the officials by showing their reluctance to reach the session sites on Monday. Since no abnormalities were reported on Day 1 of vaccination, it was expected that the situation would improve on Day 2 and all those whose names figured in the list for vaccination would turn up at the centres.
But in Chittoor district, as against the turnout of 72.3 per cent on Day 1, only 50.6 per cent of the health workers came to take the vaccine on Sunday and it further went down to 50 percent on Monday.
The medical and health department has analysed the reasons for the poor show. It showed that 255 persons out of total 1,283 absentees on Day 2 expressed their unwillingness for vaccination out of fear, while another 235 wanted to wait and see. There were 50 feeding mothers out of those enrolled and 31 pregnant women who could not be given the shot.
More than 600 people have cited various other reasons. Speaking to The Hans India, Chittoor district medical and health officer (DM&HO) Dr M Penchaliah observed that the death of 29 elderly people in Norway after getting vaccinated might have shown the adverse impact here.
Many healthcare workers have been thinking to wait for some more time to study the efficacy and effects of the vaccine before taking it. “We cannot compel anyone to come forward. It is left to their willingness. But we are trying to allay the fears of side effects,” he said.
- Delhi misses target by 56%, 17% less inoculation on Day 2 [https://www.siasat.com/delhi-misses-target-by-56-17-less-inoculation-on-day-2-2070608/]
- Forty Percent Of Serbians Opt For Russia’s Sputnik V Vaccine – Health Ministry [https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/forty-percent-of-serbians-opt-for-russias-sp-1144825.html]
- California calls for pause on lot of Moderna vaccine after allergic reactions reported – media [https://www.unian.info/world/covid-19-california-calls-for-pause-on-lot-of-moderna-vaccine-after-allergic-reactions-reported-11289512.html]
- Sweden begins to administer second dose of COVID-19 vaccine [https://news.az/news/sweden-begins-to-administer-second-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine]
- Allergic Reactions to Moderna COVID Vaccine at Petco Park Prompt State Action [https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2021/01/18/allergic-reactions-to-moderna-covid-vaccine-at-petco-park-prompt-state-action/]
- Encouraging vaccinations today similar to efforts in the Inland Empire more than 100 years ago [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/18/encouraging-vaccinations-today-similar-to-efforts-in-the-inland-empire-more-than-100-years-ago/]
- California urges stop to 300K Moderna vaccines after some fall ill [https://whdh.com/news/california-urges-stop-to-300k-moderna-vaccines-after-some-fall-ill/]
- Colorado orders hospitals to use second doses of COVID-19 vaccine now Colorado orders hospitals to use second doses of COVID-19 vaccine now [https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/18/colorado-covid-vaccination-second-shot/]
- CUNY faculty and staffer union calls on state to clarify college in-person ‘instructors’ eligible for COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.amny.com/news/cuny-faculty-and-staffer-union-calls-on-state-to-clarify-college-in-person-instructors-eligible-for-covid-19-vaccine/]
- COVID In MN: Walz Announces Pilot Program To Begin Vaccinating Educators, Minnesotans Ages 65+ [https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/01/18/walz-health-officials-to-update-vaccine-rollout-plan/]
- Glitches, thin supply frustrate Virginia seniors seeking COVID-19 vaccine shot [https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2021/01/glitches-thin-supply-frustrate-virginia-seniors-seeking-covid-19-vaccine-shot/]
- Alameda County providers received paused Moderna vaccine lot [https://abc7news.com/health/alameda-co-providers-received-paused-moderna-vaccine-lot/9785698/]
- San Diego County Expands COVID Vaccinations to Residents Aged 75 and Up [https://timesofsandiego.com/life/2021/01/18/san-diego-county-expands-covid-vaccinations-to-residents-aged-75-and-up/]
- Brazil brings forward vaccine campaign as pressure builds [https://www.rfi.fr/en/brazil-brings-forward-vaccine-campaign-as-pressure-builds]
- Andrew Neil exposes Sturgeon and Drakeford’s flaws in vaccine rollout – stark charts [https://newslanes.com/andrew-neil-exposes-sturgeon-and-drakefords-flaws-in-vaccine-rollout-stark-charts/]
- Vijayawada: Poor turnout for vax drive [https://www.thehansindia.com/andhra-pradesh/vijayawada-poor-turnout-for-vax-drive-667477]
- COVID-19: UK currently has highest coronavirus death rate in the world, researchers say [https://www.islandfm.com/news/national-news/covid-19-uk-currently-has-highest-coronavirus-death-rate-in-the-world-researchers-say/]
- ‘UK vaccinating 140 people a minute’ [https://dailyasianage.com/news/252771/uk-vaccinating-140-people-a-minute]
- I feel proud after taking vaccine: Devi Shetty [https://dailyasianage.com/news/252774/i-feel-proud-after-taking-vaccine-devi-shetty]