LONDON: England will launch the next phase of its COVID-19 vaccination programme on Monday (Jan 17) when it will start offering doses to people aged 70 and above and those who are considered clinically extremely vulnerable to the coronavirus.
The vaccination programme – the biggest so far in Europe – has focused until now on people aged 80 and older as well as frontline health and care staff.
“Today is a significant milestone in our vaccination programme as we open it up to millions more people who are most at risk from COVID-19,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday.
“We have a long way to go and there will doubtless be challenges ahead – but by working together we are making huge progress in our fight against this virus.”
Health minister Matt Hancock said more than half of all over-80s had now had a vaccination.
Britain – which has Europe’s highest COVID-19 death toll – hopes progress with rolling out the vaccines will enable it to ease some of the economically damaging lockdown restrictions in March, foreign minister Dominic Raab said.
The government wanted all adults to have been offered a first vaccination by September, he said, adding: “If we can do it faster than that, great. But that’s the roadmap.”
Johnson has set a target of vaccinating the four most at-risk categories – encompassing roughly 14 million people – by the middle of February.
The government said that the first two groups in its programme would remain its priority but that vaccination sites which can take in more people will invite members of the next two cohorts for their shots.
Sunday’s announcement related to vaccinations in England, a health ministry spokesman said. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own powers over health policy.
Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram
- Lebanon signs with Pfizer for 2.1 million COVID-19 vaccine doses [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/lebanon-signs-with-pfizer-for-2-1-million-covid-19-vaccine-doses-13980696]
- Leaders from many countries show confidence in Chinese vaccines [http://www.newsgd.com/news/exclusive/content/2021-01/18/content_191993603.htm]
- Head In The Sand: Japan And Russia [https://southfront.org/head-in-the-sand-japan-and-russia/]
- UK is vaccinating 140 people per minute on average, minister says UK is vaccinating 140 people per minute on average, minister says [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/uk-vaccinating-140-people-minute-average-minister-says-187546]
- Drawing Lots with Coronavirus Vaccination [https://www.globalresearch.ca/drawing-lots-coronavirus-vaccination/5734663]
- Vaccines: “Death by Coincidence”. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. [https://www.globalresearch.ca/vaccines-death-by-coincidence-robert-f-kennedy-jr/5734600]
- Health Experts Call for Suspension of Pfizer Vaccination Among Elderly After Norway Deaths [https://www.globalresearch.ca/health-experts-call-suspension-pfizer-vaccination-among-elderly-after-norway-deaths/5734576]
- India hails ‘life saving’ COVID-19 vaccine rollout [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/india-hails-life-saving-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-13979642]
- Globe applies for vaccine approval [https://dailyasianage.com/news/252699/globe-applies-for-vaccine-approval]
- The Pfizer vaccine may not be the best choice for frail people, but it’s too early to make firm conclusions [https://theconversation.com/the-pfizer-vaccine-may-not-be-the-best-choice-for-frail-people-but-its-too-early-to-make-firm-conclusions-153445]
- 51 adverse reactions reported & 1 person hospitalized in Delhi as India begins world’s largest Covid-19 vaccination program [https://www.rt.com/news/512774-india-adverse-effects-covid-vaccine/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS]
- South Africa struggles against ‘relentless’ COVID-19 surge [https://www.chronicle.co.zw/south-africa-struggles-against-relentless-covid-19-surge/]
- COVID vaccines in Africa to be allocated by population [https://www.chronicle.co.zw/covid-vaccines-in-africa-to-be-allocated-by-population/]
- Singapore urges national airline to be first to vaccinate all staff [https://news.trust.org/item/20210118092130-orxob]
- Gov’t to bare terms of vaccine procurement deals after talks [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1127736]
- HPAAC: Public vigilance needed to ensure vaccine safety [https://manilastandard.net/news/national/344697/hpaac-public-vigilance-needed-to-ensure-vaccine-safety.html]
- Senator wary of vaccine deal [https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/344666/senator-wary-of-vaccine-deal.html]
- Virus cases break half-million mark; health workers needed [https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/344664/virus-cases-break-half-million-mark-health-workers-needed.html]
- PH revisits EUA as Norway bares Pfizer jab deaths [https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/344662/ph-revisits-eua-as-norway-bares-pfizer-jab-deaths.html]
- Vaccine facts vs. spins [https://manilastandard.net/opinion/columns/open-thoughts-by-orlando-oxales/344658/vaccine-facts-vs-spins.html]
- Choosing to be choosy [https://manilastandard.net/opinion/editorial/344653/choosing-to-be-choosy.html]
- Still out in the cold [https://manilastandard.net/opinion/columns/crossroads-by-jonathan-dela-cruz/344646/still-out-in-the-cold.html]
- Private sector rolls out initiatives to support Covid-19 vaccination programme in Singapore [https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/private-sector-rolls-out-initiatives-to-support-covid-19-vaccination-programme-in]
- PM thinks hard lockdown may not be necessary [https://sloveniatimes.com/pm-thinks-hard-lockdown-may-not-be-necessary/]
- Spain begins administering second dose of Covid vaccine despite delivery cuts [https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-01-18/spain-begins-administering-second-dose-of-covid-vaccine-despite-delivery-cuts.html]
- South Africa is promised 9 million J&J vaccine shots – Business Day [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=564803]
- Serbia receives 1 mln Sinopharm vaccines from China [http://www.newsgd.com/news/2021-01/18/content_191991710.htm]
- UK is vaccinating 140 people per minute: Minister [https://www.omanobserver.om/uk-is-vaccinating-140-people-per-minute/]
- Land borders closed for week [https://www.omanobserver.om/land-borders-closed-for-a-week/]
- It’s crucial we address COVID vaccine hesitancy among health workers. Here’s where to start [https://theconversation.com/its-crucial-we-address-covid-vaccine-hesitancy-among-health-workers-heres-where-to-start-152977]
- 37,000 front-line workers in aviation, maritime sectors expected to get Covid-19 vaccine within 2 months [https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/37000-front-line-workers-in-aviation-maritime-sectors-expected-to-get-covid-19-vaccine]