Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched the pan India rollout of COVID-19 vaccination drive on 16th January, 2021 at 10:30 AM via video conferencing.
This is world’s largest vaccination program covering the entire length and breadth of the country. A total of 3006 session sites across all States and UTs will be virtually connected during the launch. Around 100 beneficiaries are being vaccinated at each session site on the inaugural day.
This vaccination programme is based on the principles of priority groups to be vaccinated and Health Care workers, both in government and private sectors including ICDS workers, will receive the vaccine during this phase.
The vaccination programme will use Co-WIN, an online digital platform developed by Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, which will facilitate real time information of vaccine stocks, storage temperature and individualized tracking of beneficiaries for COVID-19 vaccine.
This digital platform will assist programme managers across all levels while conducting vaccination sessions.
A dedicated 24×7 call centre – 1075 – has also been established for addressing the queries related to COVID-19 pandemic, vaccine rollout and the Co-WIN software.
Adequate doses of both made in India, COVISHIELD and COVAXIN have already been delivered across the country to all States/UTs with the active support of the Ministry of Civil Aviation. These have been further delivered by the State/UT governments to the districts. All preparations are in place to initiate the programme on the principles of Jan Bhagidari.
Never before has this large-scale vaccination campaign been run in history. There are more than 100 countries in the world whose population is less than 30 million. And India is vaccinating 3 crore people in its first phase of vaccination:
Read alsoPfizer, SII seeks emergency use authorisation for COVID-19 vaccine in India
Source: Government of India
- No need to be afraid: Delhi Minister quells vax safety doubts (IANS Exclusive) [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210116/3692232.html]
- 20 ITBP personnel among first Covid vax recipients [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210116/3692228.html]
- Peru: Health Ministry finalizes plans to start vaccination against COVID-19 [https://andina.pe/ingles/noticia-peru-health-ministry-finalizes-plans-to-start-vaccination-against-covid19-830041.aspx]
- India kicks off ‘world’s largest’ vaccination campaigns in fight against COVID-19 [https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/india-kicks-off-world-s-largest-vaccination-campaigns-in-fight-against-covid-19-20210116-p56und.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- C’garh: 5,592 healthcare workers vaccinated on day one [http://www.ptinews.com/news/12114621_C-garh–5-592-healthcare-workers-vaccinated-on-day-one.html]
- Over 1.6 lakh frontline workers get first jabs as India rolls out COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.siasat.com/over-1-6-lakh-frontline-workers-get-first-jabs-as-india-rolls-out-covid-19-vaccine-2069124/]
- India vaccinates over 190,000 on first day of rollout; Co-Win causes delays [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-vaccinates-over-190-000-on-first-day-of-rollout-co-win-causes-delays-121011601002_1.html]
- Proudest moment for our country: T’gana Guv on vaccine drive [https://www.siasat.com/proudest-moment-for-our-country-tgana-guv-on-vaccine-drive-2069148/]
- Delhi will increase vaccination sites: Kejriwal [https://www.siasat.com/delhi-will-increase-vaccination-sites-kejriwal-2069144/]
- Efforts of Indian scientists, PM Modi produced COVID-19 vaccines in short time: Naqvi [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210116/3692197.html]
- India starts ambitious mass COVID-19 vaccination drive Death toll in Indonesia quake rises to 56, rescue efforts continue [https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/01/4f67a67d1f26-india-starts-ambitious-mass-covid-19-vaccination-drive.html]
- Doraiswami: Bangladesh to get vaccines quickly, urgently [https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/foreign-affairs/2021/01/16/doraiswami-bangladesh-to-get-vaccines-quickly-urgently]
- Telangana minister drops plan to vaccinate after PM’s suggestion [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210116/3692203.html]
- Flowers, hope and consent forms for India’s huge vaccine rollout [https://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/flowers-hope-and-consent-forms-for-indias-huge-vaccine-rollout/]
- Covishield maker Adar Poonawalla gets dose of his own vaccine [https://www.siasat.com/covishield-maker-adar-poonawalla-gets-dose-of-his-own-vaccine-2069093/]
- 11,800 vaccinated against Covid-19 on day one in Gujarat [https://www.deshgujarat.com/2021/01/16/over-8500-vaccinated-against-covid-19-on-day-one-in-gujarat/]
- NE states join nationwide Covid vaccination drive [https://www.siasat.com/ne-states-join-nationwide-covid-vaccination-drive-2069099/]