SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) — San Francisco Mayor London Breed provided clarity on the city’s plan to distribute the COVID-19 vaccine, saying the city ready to roll out a network of vaccination sites and distribute doses across the city once supply is available.
The city intends to open three large vaccination sites at San Francisco City College, the Moscone Center and in the Bayview District, along with pop-up sites across the city.
Breed also said the city will be working with Walgreens and Safeway to distribute the COVID-19 vaccine.
Distribution depends on California and the federal government providing the doses of vaccine, Breed said.
“We’re ready to ramp up even more once we have the vaccine,” Breed said.
The mayor acknowledged the confusion around vaccine distribution and COVID-19 in San Francisco.
“Confusion is a huge problem and clarity is essential,” Breed said.
RELATED: San Francisco ramping up COVID-19 vaccine distribution, accepting out-of-county patients
She said the city is ready to increase distribution, but needs more doses.
The city remains in phase 1A of vaccine distribution which allows for residents of long-term care facilities and health care worker to receive the vaccine.
Breed says the city has 80,000 to 90,000 front line workers alone.
The mayor said the department of health and private health providers are coming together to prepare for vaccine distribution.
“My focus is setting up the city for when we do get vaccines,” Breed said.
Stream the press conference in the media player above or watch live on Facebook.
VIDEO: ‘It’s complicated’: Mayor Breed weighs in on SF’s distribution plan for COVID-19 vaccine
EMBED More News Videos
The City of San Francisco says it is following state guidelines when it comes to vaccine distribution, prioritizing workers in health care settings and skilled nursing facilities.
Report a correction or typo Related topics:
health & fitnesssan franciscocoronaviruslondon breedshelter in placestay at home orderreopening californiacovid 19 Share: Share Tweet Email Copyright © 2021 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.
- Bay Area Seniors Seeking COVID-19 Vaccine Face ‘Logistical Nightmare’ [https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/01/15/coronavirus-vaccine-logistical-nightmare/]
- Frontline workers, people 65 or older will start getting coronavirus vaccine doses Jan. 25, Pritzker says [https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2021/1/15/22232940/illinois-coronavirus-vaccine-frontline-workers-teachers-first-responders-transit-workers-phase-1b]
- Early COVID-19 vaccine data shows more people on city’s North Side, lakefront getting immunized than South, West sides. Experts say picture might change when shot is more widely available. [https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/vaccine/ct-coronavirus-early-vaccine-data-six-things-20210115-m2kzgnqp5vabfe5w7xsdcyhmp4-htmlstory.html]
- Bay Area health officials are desperate for more vaccine to meet demand [https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/15/bay-area-health-officials-are-desperate-for-more-vaccine-to-meet-demand/]
- ‘We should end each day with no covid19 vaccines in the freezer’: MGH doctor urges Gov. Baker to speed up vaccinations [https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/01/15/louise-ivers-urges-speeding-up-vaccine-rollout]
- Queens councilman and Manhattan BP join public advocate’s call for city to improve COVID-19 vaccine site accessibility [https://www.amny.com/news/queens-councilman-robert-holden-joins-public-advocates-call-for-city-to-improve-covid-19-vaccine-site-accessibility/]
- Von Miller under criminal investigation by Parker police Polis “shocked we were lied to” following report that promised COVID-19 vaccine stockpile doesn’t exist [https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/15/colorado-covid-vaccine-stockpile/]
- Analysis: Biden’s federal boost to vaccine rollout is critical to speeding inoculations [https://www.amny.com/coronavirus/analysis-bidens-federal-boost-to-vaccine-rollout-is-critical-to-speeding-inoculations/]
- Scattered U.S. vaccine shortages halt some COVID-19 inoculations [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa/scattered-u-s-vaccine-shortages-halt-some-covid-19-inoculations-idUSKBN29K2H4]
- Biden to unveil plan to speed U.S. COVID-19 vaccine rollout [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-biden/biden-to-unveil-plan-to-speed-u-s-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-idUSKBN29K0NF]
- No stockpile? Governors hit Washington as vaccine chokepoints pile up [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/no-stockpile-governors-hit-washington-vaccine-chokepoints-pile-n1254442]
- ‘Tourists’ are flying to Florida to score COVID-19 vaccine early [https://nypost.com/2021/01/15/people-are-flying-to-florida-for-covid-19-vaccine/]
- Thousands of Covid-19 vaccines wind up in the garbage because of fed, state guidelines [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/thousands-covid-19-vaccines-wind-garbage-because-fed-state-guidelines-n1254364]
- Lyft and Uber want to take you to your vaccination appointment [https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/lyft-uber-want-take-you-your-vaccination-appointment-n1254308]
- Biden’s Covid vaccine plan focuses on communities of color Biden taps D.C. veteran David Kessler for vaccination drive ‘A call for unity’: Biden lays out vast federal expansion of pandemic response [https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/15/biden-vaccine-plan-communities-of-color-459697]
- States want to vaccinate more people. But data on who has received a shot is lacking. [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/states-want-vaccinate-more-people-data-who-has-received-shot-n1254449]
- Anger in states over pace of COVID-19 vaccine allotments [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2021/01/15/anger-in-states-over-pace-of-covid-19-vaccine-allotments.html]
- Senator-elect Warnock receives 1st dose of COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/us/2021/01/15/senator-elect-warnock-receives-1st-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine.html]
- More U.S. COVID-19 deaths in the past two weeks than any other 14-day period [https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/more-u-s-covid-19-deaths-in-the-past-two-weeks-than-any-other-14-day-period-1.5268727]