Health officials have assured MPs that efforts are being made to secure greater vaccine doses for the coronavirus, which until now have been limited to a trickle.
Olga Kalakouta, acting director of the Medical Services, gave parliamentarians a briefing on the government’s immunisation plan, which in the current first phase targets people aged over 80 as well as healthcare professionals dealing with Covid-19.
Speaking to the press after the briefing, House health committee chair Costas Costantinou said the ministry has identified problems in distribution and is working to resolve them.
One complaint that arose concerned the geographical spreading of the vaccination centres, which for example forced a number of people living to Polis to travel all the way to Kyperounda.
Another issue was the opening of the vaccination appointment portal at midnight, which led many people unable to stay up that late getting squeezed out. As a result, most of the available appointments were taken up by the early morning hours.
This has since been addressed, with the portal henceforth going live early in the morning for each round of appointments.
MP Giorgos Georgiou, of main opposition Akel, was less forgiving of the government, saying the briefing left a lot to be desired.
“Why does the ministry of health not provide data on the number of persons being vaccinated, why this lack of transparency?”
He went on to ask “why the delay in receiving the vaccines…how will people get immunised in order to achieve community immunity, whereas it was announced that vaccinations will last until the autumn.”
The MP also asked what is the immunisation plan regarding people aged 70 to 80, healthcare professionals other than those dealing with Covid-19, as well as kidney and cancer patients.
“Unfortunately no plan exists.”
Since the start of the vaccination programme on December 27 until last Sunday, a total of 6,035 people had the jab and they have made appointments for the second dose.
Another 3,960 vaccination appointments were made available through the government portal to people over 80 from Monday.
On Tuesday, 1,200 doses of the Moderna vaccine arrived in Cyprus. During the first three months of 2021 Cyprus is expected to receive a total of 16,500 Moderna vaccines.
- Are suburban residents getting fair share of state’s vaccines? What the numbers show [https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210114/are-suburban-residents-getting-fair-share-of-states-vaccines-what-the-numbers-show]
- San Bernardino County opens coronavirus vaccine to seniors [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/14/san-bernardino-county-opens-coronavirus-vaccine-to-seniors/]
- Despite Change In California Guidance, L.A. Will Not Currently Prioritize Seniors Over 65 [https://www.laweekly.com/despite-change-in-california-guidance-l-a-will-not-currently-prioritize-seniors-over-65/]
- Confusion, anger, relief seen as Inland Empire coronavirus vaccine rolls out [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/14/confusion-anger-relief-seen-as-inland-empire-coronavirus-vaccine-rolls-out/]
- Expanded vaccine rollout in US spawns a new set of problems [https://whdh.com/news/expanded-vaccine-rollout-in-us-spawns-a-new-set-of-problems/]
- NH lowers age requirement for next vaccination phase [https://whdh.com/news/nh-lowers-age-requirement-for-next-vaccination-phase/]
- COVID Vaccine: Drive-Thru Site Opens On Long Island, Clinics Planned At NYCHA Developments [https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/covid-vaccine-locations-new-york-city-long-island/]
- SA Health Minister urges high uptake of coronavirus vaccine amid ‘mammoth effort’ [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-15/sa-health-minister-outlines-coronavirus-vaccine-rollout-details/13056766]
- Soka University Becomes Orange County Coronavirus Vaccine Super Site [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/disneyland-orange-county-aliso-viejo-soka-university-vaccinations-vaccine/]
- LA County Officials Say No COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Have Been Discarded [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/los-angeles-county-covid-19-vaccine-not-discarded/]
- COVID Vaccines: Bay Area Health Officials Challenged By Some Frontline Workers Choosing To Defer Shots [https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/covid-19-vaccine-deferral-hesitancy-frontlilne-workers-challenges-bay-area-health-officials/]
- LA County COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 13,000 [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/covid-19-los-angeles-county-death-toll-13000/]
- ‘We Should Be Doing A Much Better Job’: Differences In State, LA County Guidelines Causing COVID-19 Vaccine Confusion [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/2-on-your-side-covid-19-vaccine-confusion/]
- ‘No doses, no vaccine:’ Bay Area county leaders, hospitals say they don’t have enough to meet demand [https://abc7news.com/health/demand-bigger-than-supply-for-covid-vaccines-across-bay-area/9666175/]
- Houston-area communities share concerns about COVID-19 vaccine distribution [https://abc13.com/health/houston-area-communities-share-vaccine-distribution-concerns/9650173/]
- Minute Maid Park will serve as COVID-19 vaccination mega site this weekend [https://abc13.com/health/minute-maid-to-serve-as-covid-19-vaccination-mega-site/9659948/]
- Experts call for calm on Pfizer vaccine supply after pre-order ‘guessing game’ [https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/experts-call-for-calm-on-pfizer-vaccine-supply-after-pre-order-guessing-game-20210115-p56uap.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- German specialists probing 10 deaths of people vaccinated against Covid-19 [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/german-specialists-probing-10-deaths-of-people-vaccinated-against-covid-19-121011500088_1.html]
- Delhi: Vaccination points to scale up to 225 within a week [https://www.siasat.com/delhi-vaccination-points-to-scale-up-to-225-within-a-week-2067904/]
- Former AIIMS director, other experts slam skeptics of Covid-19 vaccine [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/former-aiims-director-other-experts-slam-skeptics-of-covid-19-vaccine-121011500096_1.html]
- DOH to healthcare workers: Help gain public’s trust in vaccines [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1127432]
- Pakistan has not placed orders for Covid-19 vaccine: Dr Faisal [https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/774525-pakistan-has-not-placed-orders-for-covid-19-vaccine-dr-faisal]
- Health officials: Georgia able to receive only 200,000 doses of Pfizer vaccine, Chinese not being considered [https://agenda.ge/en/news/2021/83]
- Health Minister Talks of Possible Paid Covid-19 Vaccination Program [https://en.tempo.co/read/1423389/health-minister-talks-of-possible-paid-covid-19-vaccination-program]
- China Steals March on West in Developing Nations’ Vaccine Rollout [https://en.tempo.co/read/1423396/china-steals-march-on-west-in-developing-nations-vaccine-rollout]
- PM to launch Pan India Rollout of COVID-19 Vaccination drive on 16 January [https://www.pmindia.gov.in/en/news_updates/pm-to-launch-pan-india-rollout-of-covid-19-vaccination-drive-on-16-january/?comment=disable]
- HK fourth wave: minister promises tough safety checks after Sinovac’s Covid-19 vaccine performs worse than expected in new study [https://www.intellasia.net/hk-fourth-wave-minister-promises-tough-safety-checks-after-sinovacs-covid-19-vaccine-performs-worse-than-expected-in-new-study-855183]
- Philippine government, private firms secure 17M more doses of AstraZeneca vaccine [https://www.intellasia.net/philippine-government-private-firms-secure-17m-more-doses-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-855215]