The Ministry of Interior recently set up a centre within the Federal Punitive and Correctional Establishments, so inmates who wished to could receive the Covid-19 vaccine for free.
Colonel Khalid Ali Al Suwaidi, Director of the Federal Penal and Correctional Establishment in Abu Dhabi, said that the move came as part of the UAE’s efforts to protect the health and safety of the entire community against the Covid-19 virus.
A video of the drive was released by the ministry on Thursday.
In it, inmates who took the jab spoke to the camera (although with their faces blurred out to protect their identities) and expressed their appreciation for the initiative that allowed them to join the rest of the nation in participating in the ongoing National Vaccination Programme.
Also read: UAE on track to vaccinate 50% population well before March deadline
The UAE has undertaken a goal of vaccinating 50 per cent of the population before the end of the first quarter.
“We would like to thank the Ministry of Interior and the Government of the UAE for giving us the opportunity to have the coronavirus vaccine. That’s why we’ve come here today: to voluntarily take this vaccine,” said one inmate.
Another said, “I willingly took the vaccine to protect myself and the people around me. I thank the leadership, thank you very much.”
- Covid-19 vaccine in UAE: 133,253 people vaccinated in last 24 hours [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/covid-19-vaccine-in-uae-133253-people-vaccinated-in-last-24-hours]
- German vaccine institute praises efficacy of Astra-Oxford vaccine [https://thehimalayantimes.com/news-archives/top-stories/german-vaccine-institute-praises-efficacy-of-astra-oxford-vaccine/]
- Vaccines due in weeks or months not yet Africa’s way out of pandemic, officials say [https://thehimalayantimes.com/world/vaccines-due-in-weeks-or-months-not-yet-africas-way-out-of-pandemic-officials-say/]
- RO1,000 fine for not returning tracking bracelet: Health Minister [https://www.omanobserver.om/ro1000-fine-for-not-returning-tracking-bracelet-health-minister/]
- AstraZeneca interested in getting COVID-19 vaccine registered in Pakistan [https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/774191-astrazeneca-interested-in-getting-covid-19-vaccine-registered-in-pakistan]
- California Moves to Vaccinate All Residents Over 65 [https://www.laopdrnewsgazette.com/california-moves-to-vaccinate-all-residents-over-65/]
- Taiwanese Health Official Warns Against Reliance on Coronavirus Vaccines [https://laotribune.com/taiwanese-health-official-warns-against-reliance-on-coronavirus-vaccines/]
- Video: UAE prison inmates get the Covid-19 vaccine for free [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/14/how-long-before-we-can-get-a-covid-jab-at-a-high-street-pharmacy/]
- 16 Covid-related deaths and 973 cases reported in NI [https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2021/0114/1189732-coronavirus-ni/]
- More than 77,000 vaccines administered up to yesterday [https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0114/1189739-vaccine-numbers/]
- Number of people infected with new UK COVID-19 strain reaches 109: Health Ministry [http://tehelka.com/number-of-people-infected-with-new-uk-covid-19-strain-reaches-109-health-ministry/]
- US tops 10 million COVID vaccinations as California expands eligibility for shots [https://bdnews24.com/coronavirus-pandemic/2021/01/14/us-tops-10-million-covid-vaccinations-as-california-expands-eligibility-for-shots]
- Hungarian government to launch vaccination campaign [https://dailynewshungary.com/hungarian-government-to-launch-vaccination-campaign/]
- Backgrounder: Booming vaccine cooperation between China, developing world [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267533570/backgrounder-booming-vaccine-cooperation-between-china-developing-world]
- WHO Experts Arrive in China to Probe Pandemic’s Origins [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267533088/who-experts-arrive-in-china-to-probe-pandemics-origins]
- Coronavirus – Government bent on supplying vaccine [https://dailynewshungary.com/coronavirus-government-bent-on-supplying-vaccine/]
- Video: UAE prison inmates get the Covid-19 vaccine for free [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/14/downing-street-defends-vaccine-rollout-despite-patchy-figures-across-england/]
- WHO convenes emergency committee early over coronavirus variants [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267532672/who-convenes-emergency-committee-early-over-coronavirus-variants]
- HK wary of Chinese vaccine’s low efficacy rate [https://asiatimes.com/2021/01/hk-wary-of-chinese-vaccines-low-efficacy-rate/]
- The Latest: California counties ask for more virus vaccine [https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/The-Latest-Germany-records-highest-single-day-15869449.php]
- Health Minister: Covid-19 vaccination policy for private sector in the offing [https://www.dhakatribune.com/health/coronavirus/2021/01/14/health-minister-private-sector-covid-19-vaccination-policy-in-the-offing]
- Video: UAE prison inmates get the Covid-19 vaccine for free [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/14/scotlands-vaccine-deployment-plan-taken-down-after-uk-ministers-concerns/]
- Video: UAE prison inmates get the Covid-19 vaccine for free [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/14/effects-of-vaccination-programme-will-be-seen-from-early-spring-swann/]
- Indonesia may allow private sector to buy and distribute vaccines [https://bdnews24.com/coronavirus-pandemic/2021/01/14/indonesia-may-allow-private-sector-to-buy-and-distribute-vaccines]
- Bangladesh making guidelines for private import, sale of COVID vaccines [https://bdnews24.com/business/2021/01/14/bangladesh-making-guidelines-for-private-import-sale-of-covid-vaccines]
- India to treat homegrown COVID-19 vaccine same as AstraZeneca’s [https://bdnews24.com/neighbours/2021/01/14/india-to-treat-homegrown-covid-19-vaccine-same-as-astrazeneca-s]
- India’s Serum Institute expects WHO emergency approval for AstraZeneca shot soon [https://bdnews24.com/neighbours/2021/01/14/india-s-serum-institute-expects-who-emergency-approval-for-astrazeneca-shot-soon]
- German health official sees pandemic under control by year’s end [https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/01/14/german-health-official-sees-pandemic-under-control-by-years-end/]