MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Minnesota Department of Health is informing hospitals, health care systems and other vaccination partners that they can now provide the COVID-19 vaccine to a broader group of Minnesotans, including those 65 years of age and older.
The MDH said Thursday that the new guidance is in response to significant changes in the federal guidance on vaccine distribution earlier this week.
On Tuesday, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced two major changes to the federal government’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan. States are now directed to vaccinate anyone 65 or older, as well as anyone below 65 with comorbidities, and the government will now release a large supply of doses it had been withholding to ensure that vaccinated Americans got their second dose.
RELATED: Federal government gives states green light to vaccinate anyone 65 and older (CBS News)
Minnesota Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm says the announcement is designed to “free” health care providers and vaccination partners to use all available doses as quickly as possible — while also ensuring that doses go to those who most need them.
“We are approaching the end of our earliest stages of the vaccine rollout, and we want to make sure all vaccines in the state are getting into arms as quickly as possible,” Malcolm said. “The state is making sure that providers have nothing holding them back from immediately using any and all vaccine they have available. That said, the reality is that we have far more Minnesotans wanting the vaccine than we have doses available from the federal government. We are ready to get more vaccines out very quickly, but now we desperately need the federal government to step up and provide us with more vaccine.”
More information on the next phases of the vaccine rollout will be announced in the coming days. Meanwhile, Malcolm says the state is urging the federal government to provide more vaccine doses immediately.
“It will be some time before the federal government provides our state with enough vaccine to cover all those currently eligible,” Commissioner Malcolm said. “Minnesota is ready to move on anything we get immediately, and we are working quickly to create new options for Minnesotans to schedule a vaccine. We’ll be sharing more details on this in the next few days.”
More vaccine information can be found here.
More On WCCO.com:
- Minute Maid Park will serve as COVID-19 vaccination mega site this weekend [https://abc13.com/health/minute-maid-to-serve-as-covid-19-vaccination-mega-site-saturday/9659948/]
- ABC13’s ‘Vaccine Rollout’ special offers in-depth look at Houston’s vaccination effort [https://abc13.com/health/abc13s-vaccine-rollout-special-breaks-down-latest-details/9658382/]
- Charlie Baker defends coronavirus vaccine rollout as Massachusetts lags behind its neighbors [https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/01/14/charlie-baker-defends-coronavirus-vaccine-rollout-massachusetts]
- “A Burden Has Lifted” As Javits Vaccination Site Opens, For Those Who Can Score Appointments [https://gothamist.com/news/javits-center-vaccination-site-lifts-burden-appointment-headaches-remain]
- New York Congressman Adriano Espaillat Tests Positive For COVID-19 [https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/adriano-espaillat-covid-positive/]
- Long Beach Warns Residents Of COVID-19 Vaccine Scams [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/long-beach-warns-residents-of-covid-19-vaccine-scams/]
- Long Beach Convention Center To Serve As COVID Vaccination Site [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/long-beach-convention-center-to-serve-as-covid-vaccination-site/]
- Report: 1 In 3 LA County Residents Have Been Infected With COVID-19 [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/14/coronavirus-covid-los-angeles-county/]
- Coronavirus vaccine incentive: Instacart and Dollar General to pay workers to get vaccinated [https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2021/01/14/covid-vaccine-dollar-general-instacart-pay-employees-getting-vaccine/4160708001/]
- American teachers grapple with patchy COVID-19 vaccine rollout [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-teachers-featu/american-teachers-grapple-with-patchy-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-idUSKBN29J2RB]
- Chicago poised to open new COVID-19 vaccination sites, but Mayor Lori Lightfoot says city needs more doses [https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/vaccine/ct-vaccine-chicago-mayor-lori-lightfoot-distribution-update-20210114-bhjwgvaksvcy7acv67qrhsumzi-story.html]
- Wisconsin pharmacist accused of spoiling Covid-19 vaccine has license suspended [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wisconsin-pharmacist-accused-spoiling-covid-19-vaccine-has-license-suspended-n1254295]
- COVID-19 vaccine trial participants clamoring to get the real deal [https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-life-covid-vaccine-placebo-pfizer-moderna-janssen-trial-20210114-r6vzmohbs5ed5gstqwuxdhtria-story.html]
- Two members of WHO team blocked from entering China over failed coronavirus antibody test [https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/14/asia/who-team-china-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fedition_world+%28RSS%3A+CNNi+-+World%29]
- US officials warn ‘full resurgence’ of Covid in major population centers [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/us-covid-coronavirus-cases-deaths]
- China steals march on West in developing nations’ vaccine rollout [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-global/china-steals-march-on-west-in-developing-nations-vaccine-rollout-idUSKBN29J2FT]
- Past COVID infection provides some immunity for at least 5 months, study shows [https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-infection-immunity/]
- Moderna looks to test Covid-19 booster shots a year after initial vaccination [https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/14/moderna-looks-to-test-covid-19-booster-shots-a-year-after-initial-vaccination.html]
- Coronavirus: What’s happening in Canada and around the world on Thursday [https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coronavirus-covid19-canada-world-january-14-2021-1.5872664?cmp=rss]
- Which Americans can get a vaccine now? Here’s a look at the new guidance. [https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/health/who-can-get-vaccine.html]
- Israel claims Pfizer jab has slashed Covid infections by HALF as it leads the way with world-beating vaccine roll out [https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13743249/israel-claims-pfizer-jab-slashed-infections-by-half/]
- Brazil to start vaccinating Jan 20, as UK bars travelers over new COVID-19 variant [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-brazil-start-vaccinating-uk-traveler-ban-variant-13962592]
- Districts prepare for 1st phase of COVID-19 vaccination [https://morungexpress.com/districts-prepare-for-1st-phase-of-covid-19-vaccination]
- Number of new coronavirus cases dropping [https://glashrvatske.hrt.hr/en/news/domestic/number-of-new-coronavirus-cases-dropping/]
- Pregnant, lactating women shouldn’t be administered Covid vaccine now: Govt [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/pregnant-lactating-women-shouldn-t-be-administered-covid-vaccine-now-govt-121011401550_1.html]
- American Airlines readies non-mandatory Covid vaccine rollout for workers [https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/american-airlines-readies-non-mandatory-covid-vaccine-rollout-for-workers-121011401403_1.html]
- B’desh likely to get first lot of vaccine by Jan 25-26 [https://www.siasat.com/bdesh-likely-to-get-first-lot-of-vaccine-by-jan-25-26-2067769/]
- Yemen to receive first batch of COVID vaccine in April or May [https://www.siasat.com/yemen-to-receive-first-batch-of-covid-vaccine-in-april-or-may-2067734/]
- Arunachal Pradesh ready for Coronavirus Vaccination drive [https://arunachal24.in/arunachal-pradesh-ready-for-coronavirus-vaccination-drive/]