Washington, Jan.12 (BNA): Barely a month into a mass vaccination campaign to stop the COVID-19 pandemic, the Trump administration unexpectedly shifted gears Tuesday to speed the delivery of shots.
Health and Human Services Alex Azar has announced two major changes. First, the government will no longer hold back required second doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, practically doubling supply.
Second, states should immediately start vaccinating other groups lower down the priority scale, including people age 65 and older, and younger people with certain health problems, said AP.
As of Monday morning, the government had distributed about 25.5 million doses to states, U.S. territories and major cities. But only about 9 million people had received their first shot. That means only about 35% of the available vaccines had been administered.
Each state has its own plan for who should be vaccinated, based on recommendations from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC recommendations give first priority to health care workers and nursing home residents.
The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine requires a second shot about three weeks after the first vaccination. Another vaccine, this one produced by Moderna, requires a second shot about four weeks afterward. One-shot vaccines are still undergoing testing.
- President-elect Biden receives final Covid-19 vaccine dose [http://thedailynewnation.com/news/275127/president-elect-biden-receives-final-covid-19-vaccine-dose.html]
- Newsom’s vaccination plan bogs down [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/12/newsoms-vaccination-plan-bogs-down/]
- This Week in COVID: “Please Do Not Put Us in the Position to Ration Care” [https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/this-week-in-covid-arizona-151000-vaccinated-and-uk-strain-may-be-in-arizona-11524872]
- Pre-Registration for COVID-19 Vaccination in St. Louis County Now Open [https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2021/01/12/pre-registration-for-covid-19-vaccination-in-st-louis-county-now-open]
- Gov. Baker announces Gillette Stadium as state’s first mass COVID-19 vaccination site [https://whdh.com/news/gov-baker-announces-gillette-stadium-as-states-first-mass-covid-19-vaccination-site/]
- New Broward COVID Vaccination Site Opens in Coral Springs [https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com/news/local-news/new-broward-covid-vaccination-site-opens-in-coral-springs/]
- California opens COVID-19 vaccination ‘super’ sites at major landmarks [https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/california-opens-covid-19-vaccination-super-sites/]
- Feds release all reserved COVID-19 vaccine doses [https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/feds-release-all-reserved-covid-19-vaccine-doses/]
- Mayor: Grocery store workers, shelter residents and workers now eligible for COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.amny.com/news/mayor-grocery-store-workers-shelter-residents-and-workers-now-eligible-for-covid-19-vaccine/]
- COVID In Philadelphia: City Officials Expected To Outline Plans To Lift Some Indoor Dining Restrictions [https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/01/12/covid-in-philadelphia-city-officials-expected-outline-plans-lift-indoor-dining-restrictions/]
- US shifts to speed vaccinations; won’t hold back 2nd doses [https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/1/12/22227119/us-shifts-speed-vaccinations-wont-hold-back-2nd-doses]
- ABC13’s ‘Vaccine Rollout’ special offers in-depth look at Houston’s vaccination effort [https://abc13.com/health/abc13s-vaccine-rollout-special-to-kick-off-today/9564960/]
- New York could run out of vaccine stock by next week’s end: mayor [https://www.rfi.fr/en/new-york-could-run-out-of-vaccine-stock-by-next-week-s-end-mayor]
- Massachusetts’ First Mass COVID Vaccination Site To Be At Gillette Stadium [https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/01/12/massachusetts-covid-coronavirus-vaccine-gillette-stadium/]
- U.S. releases millions of COVID-19 doses and urges states to include more people [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccine-usa/u-s-releases-millions-of-covid-19-doses-and-urges-states-to-include-more-people-idUSKBN29H15F]
- NYC Mayor de Blasio says COVID-19 vaccine supply to run out in less than two weeks [https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de-blasio-nyc-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-running-out]
- Inside Newcastle’s Covid mass vaccination centre [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-55624751]
- COVID19 vaccine doses reach Meghalaya [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/01/12/covid19-vaccine-doses-reach-meghalaya/]