London, Jan 12 : British Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned against “false complacency” as the country is seeking to speed up the coronavirus vaccine rollout.
“This is a very perilous moment because everybody can sense that the vaccine is coming in and they can see that the UK is vaccinating large numbers of those that need it most,” he said on Monday during a visit to a vaccination center in Bristol, located in southwest England, about 193 km west of London, Xinhua news agency reported.
“My worry is…that this is the moment when that degree of false confidence, false complacency, and that when you look at what has happened in the NHS (National Health Service) that complacency is not merited,” he said.
According to the prime minister, 2.4 million coronavirus jabs have been administered across Britain.
Seven new mass vaccination sites in England opened Monday, as the country races against time to bring the pandemic under control.
Earlier Monday, Chief Medical Officer for England Chris Whitty warned that the “most dangerous time” of the coronavirus pandemic in Britain has yet to come before vaccine rollout has an impact.
The next few weeks will be “the worst” of the pandemic for the NHS, he told the BBC, urging the public to minimize all unnecessary contact with others.
Johnson and Whitty made the warnings after Britain surpassed the grim milestones of 3,000,000 Covid-19 cases and 80,000 coronavirus-related deaths on Saturday.
Disclaimer: This story is auto-generated from IANS service.
- UK PM Johnson warns of ‘false complacency’ amid coronavirus vaccine rollout [https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/uk-pm-johnson-warns-of-false-complacency-amid-coronavirus-vaccine-rollout-121011200144_1.html]
- Vaccination efforts boosted, WHO to probe COVID origins in China [https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/344200/vaccination-efforts-boosted-who-to-probe-covid-origins-in-china.html]
- Illinois in vaccine race against more infectious COVID-19 strain [https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210111/illinois-in-vaccine-race-against-more-infectious-covid-19-strain]
- Massachusetts first responders begin coronavirus vaccine rollout [https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01/11/massachusetts-first-responders-begin-coronavirus-vaccine-rollout/]
- ‘We’re punching back’: COVID-19 vaccine rollout for Mass. first responders underway [https://whdh.com/news/were-punching-back-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-for-mass-first-responders-underway/]
- Vaccine sign-ups for 75 years and older to begin next week [https://whdh.com/news/vaccine-sign-ups-for-75-years-and-older-to-begin-next-week/]
- California, Bay Area opening mass vaccination sites [https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/California-Bay-Area-opening-mass-vaccination-15862804.php]
- Coronavirus vaccine: Hospitals throwing out extra doses is a ‘sin’ [https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01/11/coronavirus-vaccine-hospitals-throwing-out-extra-doses-is-a-sin/]
- Virus deaths surging in California, now top 30,000 [https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-virus-deaths-top-30-000-after-15861132.php]
- Oakland Coliseum could be used as COVID-19 vaccine site [https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/11/oakland-coliseum-could-be-used-as-covid-19-vaccine-site/]
- Orange County Mayors Concerned About COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/11/orange-county-vaccine-rollout/]
- Governors’ red tape blamed as vaccine doses pile up [https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/11/governors-red-tape-vaccine-rollout-457909]
- After sluggish few weeks, California officials in mad dash to distribute COVID-19 vaccines [https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/11/after-sluggish-few-weeks-california-officials-in-mad-dash-to-distribute-covid-19-vaccines/]
- Biden gets second COVID jab as US ramps up vaccinations [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/11/were-going-to-run-out-new-york-urges-us-to-increase-vaccine]
- Inside Newcastle’s Covid mass vaccination centre [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-55624751]
- WHO rules out Covid-19 herd immunity this year [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/12/who-rules-out-covid-19-herd-immunity-this-year/1939553]
- England opens mass vaccination sites as virus spike fears spread [https://manilastandard.net/news/coronavirus-2019/344197/england-opens-mass-vaccination-sites-as-virus-spike-fears-spread.html]
- CT seniors age 75 and older can register for the COVID vaccine next week [https://ctmirror.org/2021/01/11/ct-seniors-age-75-and-older-can-register-for-the-covid-vaccine-next-week/]
- ‘The most dangerous time’: UK sees toughest virus threat yet [https://apnews.com/article/pandemics-england-coronavirus-pandemic-4f1881289ca4762baeccc7807f1ef357]