Paramedics transfer a patient who suffers from coronavirus disease in an ambulance from Durango hospital to another hospital, after she was rejected due to the occupancy of full beds inside the hospitals in Mexico City, Mexico January 6, 2021. — Reuters pic
MEXICO CITY, Jan 11 — The new variant of the coronavirus first detected in Britain has been confirmed in northern Mexico, health officials said yesterday, adding a new layer of concern to an already severe national outbreak.
The confirmation of the especially contagious new variant of the virus marks the first time it has been found in Mexico, home to the pandemic’s forth-highest death toll globally.
A 56-year-old British man who flew on December 29 from Mexico City to the city of Matamoros, just south of the US-Mexico border, tested positive for the new strain, both state and national health officials said yesterday.
The man arrived to the Mexican capital a day earlier on a flight from Amsterdam, said Jose Luis Alomia, the head of epidemiology for the national health ministry, at a regular government news conference.
The official explained that upon arriving in Matamoros, the man did not show any symptoms of Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. But he nonetheless tested positive again after a second test was administered to him on December 31.
Alomia stressed that while the new variant has been detected, it is not believed to be circulating on any significant scale among the population.
A dozen passengers on the same Mexico City-Matamoros flight have not yet been identified, officials said, while the rest of the 45-passenger flight have all tested negative, including the plane’s crew.
The British man remains hospitalised in Matamoros, and was placed on a ventilator on Saturday.
Officials did not say that any form of contact tracing or testing had been conducted on passengers on the Amsterdam-Mexico City flight.
The fast-spreading new strain of the virus has also been found in South Africa and Australia, prompting authorities to take more aggressive action to prevent even greater contagion as countries across the globe struggle to contain the pandemic. — Reuters
- British coronavirus strain confirmed in Russia in late 2020 [https://www.inform.kz/en/british-coronavirus-strain-confirmed-in-russia-in-late-2020_a3739484]
- Mexican president’s spokesman tests positive for coronavirus [https://wtop.com/latin-america/2021/01/mexican-presidents-spokesman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/]
- Mexican president’s spokesman tests positive for coronavirus [https://www.enmnews.com/2021/01/11/mexican-presidents-spokesman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mexican-presidents-spokesman-tests-positive-for-coronavirus]
- México confirma el primer caso de nueva variante de covid-19 que fue detectada primero en el Reino Unido [https://wtop.com/news/2021/01/mexico-confirma-el-primer-caso-de-nueva-variante-de-covid-19-que-fue-detectada-primero-en-el-reino-unido/]
- Japan finds new coronavirus variant in travellers from Brazil [https://www.intellasia.net/japan-finds-new-coronavirus-variant-in-travellers-from-brazil-852947]
- A year after first confirmed death, COVID-19 source still a puzzle [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/01/11/a-year-after-first-confirmed-death-covid-19-source-still-a-puzzle/]
- UK opens seven vaccination centers to boost COVID-19 immunization drive [https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2021/01/11/uk-opens-seven-vaccination-centres-to-boost-covid-19-immunization-drive.html]
- Mexico reports more than 10,000 new coronavirus cases – health ministry [https://news.trust.org/item/20210111002358-iwbqx]
- Cyprus enters three-week coronavirus lockdown [https://www.siasat.com/cyprus-enters-three-week-coronavirus-lockdown-2065041/]
- Global Covid-19 caseload surpasses 90 million: Johns Hopkins University [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/global-covid-19-caseload-surpasses-90-million-johns-hopkins-university-121011100055_1.html]
- County Reports 3,288 New COVID-19 Cases, 33 Deaths, As Hospitals Hit Key Benchmark [https://timesofsandiego.com/tech/2021/01/10/county-reports-3288-new-covid-19-cases-33-deaths-as-hospitals-hit-key-benchmark/]
- The Latest: Scores test positive in China’s Hebei province [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/10/the-latest-scores-test-positive-in-chinas-hebei-province/]
- U.S. daily COVID-19 cases hit record high of over 310,000, total surpasses 22 mln [http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0111/c90000-9807955.html]
- Brazil tops 1,000 daily average coronavirus deaths for the first time since Aug [https://news.trust.org/item/20210110234626-h4z9p]
- New coronavirus strain first seen in Britain confirmed in Mexico [https://news.trust.org/item/20210110233425-9oj83]
- S.Korea daily virus cases under 500 for first time since record highs in Dec -KDCA [https://news.trust.org/item/20210111001357-uk6uu]