The current situation is different from the 1st MCO as many businesses were forced to shut, says minister
by LYDIA NATHAN / pic by ARIF KARTONO
THE public should refrain from panic buying as there is ample supply of basic necessities in the country, said Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi.
“Panic buying should not be taking place, as our ministry has confirmed that there are enough goods in all categories. The ministry will also be carefully monitoring manufacturers, suppliers and retailers to ensure the continuous operation of businesses,” he said in a statement yesterday.
Nanta Linggi said he is aware of the people’s concern as they are expecting more measures to be announced by Prime Minister (PM) Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin which is set to take place today, due to the surge in daily Covid-19 cases.
However, the minister said the current situation is different from the first Movement Control Order (MCO) that was implemented on March 18 last year as many businesses were forced to shut, impacting the supply of goods in the market.
“We are always monitoring daily essentials across the country to ensure they are not only enough but are readily available at shops and can accommodate a continuous demand from the people,” the minister added.
“Among the goods being monitored are sugar, cooking oil, flour, rice, bread, powder milk, poultry, vegetables, eggs, onions, hand sanitisers and face masks,” he said.
The monitoring on these 12 essential items involves 2,711 selected retailers, 1,039 selected wholesalers and 223 selected manufacturers.
“We would like to remind people that the supply of daily necessities is under control and the public are advised not to go into a buying frenzy, as this will severely impact the people and the supply of needed goods,” Nanta Linggi said further.
On Saturday, Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the government is not expected to impose a total lockdown as per the first MCO.
He also said the government will give ample time for people to prepare for any decision to be announced by the PM.
“There is no need to panic buy, the people will be given time to prepare (for any decision),” Ismail Sabri said.
￩ ￫ x × Previous Next
RELATED ARTICLES Monday, April 20, 2020 COVID-19: No restriction on British travellers leaving M’sia – HC Monday, April 27, 2020 Another 25bps OPR cut next month appears imminent, say analysts Wednesday, September 9, 2020 Moratorium worth RM81.9b granted as of Aug 28 – MOF Thursday, July 30, 2020 Malaysia’s success in managing COVID-19 due to sacrifices of its people: Muhyiddin Wednesday, June 24, 2020 Bursa closes lower Wednesday, June 3, 2020 Study reveals MCO boosts technology adoption, digitalisation
- National Medical Taskforce provides updates on traveling procedures for arrivals into Bahrain via King Fahd Causeway [https://www.bna.bh/en/NationalMedicalTaskforceprovidesupdatesontravelingproceduresforarrivalsintoBahrainviaKingFahdCauseway.aspx?cms=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1%2bDuNZ9rPSB7VS210OCJzOwOc%3d]