Cook County accounted for nearly three-quarters of Sunday’s 81 reported fatalities.
State health officials on Sunday reported an additional 81 coronavirus-related deaths, bringing Illinois’ pandemic death toll to 17,574.
Cook County accounted for nearly three-quarters of Sunday’s reported fatalities. In total, 59 of the 81 deaths were reported in the Chicago area, including a Cook County man and woman in their 30s.
Illinois has logged more than 1,000 COVID-related deaths in January alone, averaging about 108 fatalities each day this month. That’s down from the first 10 days in December, when the state was averaging 159 deaths a day.
State health officials also announced 4,711 new and probable coronavirus cases, which were found in the latest batch of 77,775 tests reported to the Illinois Department of Public Health in the last day.
That lowered the statewide seven-day positivity rate to 7.9% — a slight decline from last Sunday when that figure, which experts use to gauge how rapidly the virus is spreading in the state, was 8.3%.
Statewide hospitalizations have also been on a gradual decline as Illinois continues to make slight progress in rebounding from a record-setting late fall resurgence.
As of Saturday night, 3,527 people were hospitalized in Illinois with COVID-19, with 740 of those patients in intensive-care units and 391 on ventilators, officials said. Those numbers are all down from last week.
This news comes as Illinois continues its COVID-19 vaccine rollout. More than 234,000 people have received doses across the state so far, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including about 54,000 Chicago residents.
It will be several months before shots are available for most of the state’s 12.7 million residents, officials have said. Frontline hospital and health care workers and long-term care facility residents are first in line for the vaccine. They’re followed by essential workers and people 65 or older with underlying health conditions.
In total, 1,02,750 people in Illinois have been confirmed to have the virus among the nearly 14.1 million tests processed over the last 11 months. That’s about 8.1% of the state’s population. The statewide recovery rate is 98%.
Know about breaking news as it happens. We follow the stories and update you as they develop.
Police responded to a crash in the 300 block of Illinois Route 137 where both the drivers were trapped in their vehicles.
Rep. Darren Bailey, R-Xenia, appeared to collapse and could be seen laying on the floor of the Bank of Springfield Center Sunday afternoon. His condition was not immediately known, but Bailey appeared to get on a gurney himself and gave a thumbs up while being wheeled out.
The Bears are also missing linebacker Roquan Smith and wide receiver Darnell Mooney — two of their best players.
Maeve Odonnell was last seen Saturday leaving her home in the 6200 block of North Knox Avenue.
A relative tells the Sun-Times that Jason Nightengale “was fighting some demons. He had some problems.”
Track the latest confirmed COVID-19 cases by zip code with this state map, updated daily with public health department data.
- COVID-19 live updates: California reports nearly 50,000 new cases in single day [https://abc7news.com/health/covid-19-updates-ca-reports-nearly-50k-new-cases-in-1-day/9534119/]
- Ukraine reports 11 new COVID-19 cases in armed forces as of Jan 10 [https://www.unian.info/society/covid-19-ukraine-reports-11-new-cases-in-armed-forces-as-of-jan-10-11280005.html]
- Nollywood veteran actress, Victoria Inyama, tests positive to COVID-19 [https://www.championnews.com.ng/nollywood-veteran-actress-victoria-inyama-tests-positive-to-covid-19/]
- FDOH reports over 12K new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday [https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade/fdoh-reports-over-12k-new-cases-of-covid-19-on-sunday/]
- Antigua records 7 cases of COVID-19; Active cases up to 19 [https://antiguabreakingnews.com/local-news/antigua-records-7-cases-of-covid-19/]
- Rajasthan logs 475 new COVID-19 cases [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210110/3688855.html]
- 7 COVID-19 recoveries today. [https://smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-martin-news/36528-7-covid-19-recoveries-today.html]