NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Three additional cases of the COVID-19 strain originally found in the U.K. have been identified in the state of New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday.
The first case of the highly contagious strain was detected in Saratoga Springs earlier this week. The individual who tested positive is affiliated with a jewelry store there.
Cuomo says two employees of that jewelry store have also tested positive for the U.K. strain.
MORE: New York Has First Confirmed Case Of New, Highly Contagious Strain Of COVID
The third new case is unrelated to the exposure in Saratoga Springs. It was traced back to a man in his 60s in Massapequa, Nassau County, who first tested positive for COVID-19 on Dec. 27.
The health department is working with contact tracers in Nassau County to identify potential exposures.
“The U.K. strain is here, it is real, and the Usain Bolt-like speed through which it spreads is nothing short of frightening,” Cuomo said in a statement.
The governor called for the federal government to mandate COVID testing for all international travelers.
MORE — Only On CBS2: Researchers Testing Samples For New UK COVID Variant At New Jersey Lab
Two cases of the U.K. strain have also been found in Connecticut. New Jersey has not reported any cases of the variant.
Earlier this week, Mayor Bill de Blasio called for a travel ban from the U.K. to the U.S., saying, “If we don’t have a travel ban, then we’re literally inviting this new horrible variant in the door.”
MORE FROM CBS NEW YORK
- Dallas County Reports Record-High 3,194 New COVID-19 Cases, 10 Deaths Saturday [https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/01/09/dallas-county-reports-record-high-3194-new-covid-19-cases-10-deaths-saturday/]
- French city of Marseille gets tougher curfew as new COVID-19 variant discovered [https://www.todayonline.com/world/french-city-marseille-gets-tougher-curfew-new-covid-19-variant-discovered]
- UK public urged to ‘stay at home’ to fight coronavirus [https://www.siasat.com/uk-public-urged-to-stay-at-home-to-fight-coronavirus-2064368/]
- ‘This is our most dangerous time.’ COVID-19 deaths are at unprecedented levels in US [https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/this-is-our-most-dangerous-time-covid-19-deaths-are-at-unprecedented-levels-in-us/]
- Mass. health officials announce 7,110 new COVID-19 cases, 90 deaths, 7-day positivity rate of 7.35 percent [https://whdh.com/news/mass-health-officials-announce-7110-new-covid-19-cases-90-deaths-7-day-positivity-rate-of-7-35-percent/]
- California reports record 695 virus deaths in a day [https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-reports-record-695-virus-deaths-in-a-15858363.php]
- NHS counts cost of Christmas in lives and warns worst is yet to come [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/09/nhs-counts-the-cost-of-christmas-in-lives-and-warns-worst-is-yet-to-come]
- Israel reports first case of South African coronavirus strain [https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jan/9/israel-reports-first-case-south-african-coronaviru/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS]
- Today, 1.769 newly infected, 35 people died [https://www.b92.net/eng/news/society.php?yyyy=2021&mm=01&dd=09&nav_id=110131]
- UAE Covid vaccine: Over 1 million residents vaccinated [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/uae-covid-vaccine-over-1-million-residents-vaccinated]
- Israel launches 2nd-dose drive as serious COVID cases hit record high of 964 [https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-launches-2nd-dose-drive-as-serious-covid-cases-hit-record-high-of-964/]
- Positivity rate down as coronavirus claims 101 more Illinois lives [https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2021/1/9/22222411/illinois-coronavirus-cases-deaths-vaccine-positivity-pritzker-covid-19-jan-9]
- Suburban COVID-19 cases rise at long-term-care facilities even as vaccines begin [https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210108/suburban-covid-19-cases-rise-at-long-term-care-facilities-even-as-vaccines-begin-]
- COVID worries 9 in 10 Pinoys [https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/344019/covid-worries-9-in-10-pinoys.html]