HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) — As the city of Houston deals with the COVID-19 crisis, one of Houston’s sports monuments became a vaccination site Saturday and new appointment availabilities filled up in minutes.
1,000 new appointments were filled shortly after they were added by the Houston Health Department at Minute Maid Park for people who meet Phase 1A or Phase 1B criteria.
The department partnered with the Astros Foundation to operate the landmark as a COVID-19 vaccination site, but it’s open only to people who already have those appointments scheduled.
To make an appointment for another day, go to the Houston Health Dept. website.
NEW: We are opening approximately 1,000 new appointments for today’s #COVID19 vaccination clinic at Minute Maid Park. People who meet Phase 1A or Phase 1B of the state’s criteria can visit https://t.co/vvm1oYDr7f for a same day appointment. #HouNews pic.twitter.com/W4xXeWfrsm
— Houston Health Dept (@HoustonHealth) January 9, 2021
The health department’s Bayou City Event Center clinic is closed for an unrelated weekend event. Appointments originally scheduled for that facility are being honored at Minute Maid Park.
READ MORE: Track COVID-19 vaccine availability and progress across Houston
EMBED More News Videos
In the video, watch our ABC13 team walk you through using the vaccine tracker within this page.
“The city of Houston is working around the clock to get the COVID-19 vaccine to the public based on available supply. Unfortunately, we are not in control of the vaccine supply and must schedule local vaccines based on vaccine delivery,” said Mayor Sylvester Turner.
Turner took to Twitter on Friday to clarify that the clinic at Minute Maid Park is not a “vaccine mega site.”
EMBED More News Videos
ABC13 answered vaccine-related questions on specific Houston-area hospitals, major pharmacies and Phase 1B patients.
This weekend, we are partnering with the @Astros Foundation to operate Minute Maid Park as a #COVID19 vaccination site on Saturday.
It will NOT be a mega-site.
— Sylvester Turner (@SylvesterTurner) January 7, 2021
The health department is contacting people in its appointment queue to let them know about the new location and will provide instructions on what to do when you arrive. Appointments are filled through the end of January based on the department’s current vaccine allotment and no additional appointments are being made, according to the city.
Appointments are based on vaccine availability, and current appointments may be adjusted based on the department’s allotment.
As of Thursday, Jan. 7, the health department received a total of 13,800 doses of vaccine and administered 8,169 doses at locations including the Bayou City Event Center along with the Northside, La Nueva Casa de Amigos, Sharpstown and Sunnyside health centers.
The department also transferred 1,900 doses to other providers. The health department will announce additional vaccination opportunities at its health centers, multi-service centers, community locations and via mobile units as supply increases. Report a correction or typo Related topics:
health & fitnesshoustonvaccinescoronavirus helpgreg abbottcoronaviruscoronavirus texasminute maid parkcoronavirus outbreakcovid 19 vaccinecoronavirus pandemiccoronavirus testcovid 19 pandemiccovid 19 outbreakcovid 19coronavirus testinghouston astros Share: Share Tweet Email Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.
- Older New Yorkers, Police, Firefighters, Teachers May Get Vaccine Starting On Monday [https://gothamist.com/news/older-new-yorkers-police-firefighters-teachers-may-get-vaccine-starting-monday]
- Pope Francis to have COVID-19 vaccine as early as next week [https://news.trust.org/item/20210109154531-zh4uj]
- Prof Dr Nazrul Islam: Mass vaccination for Bangladesh’s population to take time [https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2021/01/09/prof-dr-nazrul-islam-mass-vaccination-for-bangladesh-s-population-to-take-time]
- 1,000 new appointments filled up in minutes at Minute Maid Park COVID-19 vaccination clinic [https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/01/09/vaccine-centre-will-handle-3000-a-day/]
- 1,000 new appointments filled up in minutes at Minute Maid Park COVID-19 vaccination clinic [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/09/queue-winds-around-corners-in-south-london-as-gps-roll-out-vaccine/]
- 1,000 new appointments filled up in minutes at Minute Maid Park COVID-19 vaccination clinic [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/09/gp-being-able-to-give-people-hope-through-vaccine-quite-wonderful/]
- Lisa Vanderpump’s hubby gets COVID-19 vaccine early [https://pagesix.com/2021/01/09/lisa-vanderpumps-hubby-gets-covid-19-vaccine-early/]