Western Australia will reinstate its hard border with Queensland from midnight tonight, WA Premier Mark McGowan has announced.
After midnight, only travellers with an exemption will be allowed into WA from Queensland, with Greater Brisbane due to enter lockdown at 6:00pm.
The lockdown was announced earlier following concerns about the potential spread of the new COVID-19 strain, which originated in the UK.
A cleaner at a quarantine hotel in Brisbane yesterday tested positive to the highly-transmissible mutant strain and was in the community for five days.
It marks the second time WA has shut its border with Queensland since the pandemic began.
The hard border had been in place since April last year before opening about nine weeks ago, in mid-November.
Did you know we offer a local version of the ABC News homepage? Watch below to see how you can set yours, and get more WA stories.
(Hint: You’ll have to go back to the home page to do this)
Over the past two months, WA has abruptly reintroduced hard borders to South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales following outbreaks in those states.
In the case of Victoria and South Australia, people who arrived freely into WA were forced into a 14-day quarantine period retrospectively because of concerns they could have brought the virus to WA.
Several flights are due to arrive in Perth from Brisbane today.
No further community cases in Queensland have yet been detected, but 79 people have been placed into isolation because of their contact with the infected cleaner.
More to come.
- PM supports Palaszczuk’s ‘wise’ decision to lockdown Greater Brisbane [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6221128596001]
- Australia must strengthen its hotel quarantine system: Infectious disease expert [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6221068008001]
- Covid: England and Scotland arrivals will need negative test result [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55582116]
- Tennis Australia in talks with SA over Adelaide quarantine option [https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/tennis-australia-in-talks-with-sa-over-adelaide-quarantine-option-20210108-p56sof.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- Panic buying as Queensland shoppers defy Premier, Chief Health Officer [https://www.smh.com.au/national/queensland/panic-buying-as-queensland-shoppers-defy-premier-chief-health-officer-20210108-p56snu.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- International arrival cap lowered, Commonwealth declares Brisbane a hotspot to stop new COVID strain [https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/international-arrival-cap-lowered-commonwealth-declares-brisbane-a-hotspot-to-stop-new-covid-strain-20210108-p56sp0.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- WA closes border with Queensland as country goes into ‘high alert’ [https://www.smh.com.au/national/western-australia/wa-closes-border-with-queensland-as-country-goes-into-high-alert-20210108-p56sop.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- France ready to tighten coronavirus curbs, says Prime Minister Castex [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/france-ready-to-tighten-coronavirus-curbs-says-prime-minister-castex-121010800108_1.html]