Moderna’s vaccine was 94% effective in preventing disease in late stage clinical trials
Britain’s medical regulator on Friday approved Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine for use, the health ministry said, adding that it had agreed to purchase an additional 10 million doses of the shot as it eyed a spring rollout of the shot.
Three COVID-19 vaccines have now been approved for use in Britain, with Pfizer/BioNTech’s shot and one developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca already being rolled out.
Britain now has 17 million doses of Moderna’s vaccine on order, and supplies will begin to be delivered to the UK from spring once Moderna expands its production capability.
“We have already vaccinated nearly 1.5 million people across the UK and Moderna’s vaccine will allow us to accelerate our vaccination programme even further once doses become available from the spring,” health minister Matt Hancock said.
Moderna’s vaccine was 94% effective in preventing disease in late stage clinical trials, and it has already been approved for use in the United States, Canada and the European Union.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com. Follow our special coverage of Coronavirus pandemic in India and get news updates from around the world.
Watch Live News:
- Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine appears effective against mutation in new coronavirus variants, study suggests [https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-appears-effective-against-mutation-in-new-coronavirus-variants-study-suggests-1.5865885?cmp=rss]
- Vaccines may not work against SA virus variant, UK minister warns [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/8/uk-minister-warns-vaccine-might-not-work-against-sa-virus-variant]
- Covid-19 wrap: UK bans travel from 11 African countries, record deaths in US, Sinovac vaccine declared halaal [https://www.news24.com/news24/World/News/covid-19-wrap-uk-bans-travel-from-11-african-countries-record-deaths-in-us-sinovac-vaccine-declared-halaal-20210108]
- Iran’s supreme leader bans coronavirus vaccines from UK, US [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/8/irans-supreme-leader-bans-uk-us-coronavirus-vaccines]
- ‘Another string in our bow’: Novavax prepares for COVID-19 vaccine launch [https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/another-string-in-our-bow-novavax-prepares-for-covid-19-vaccine-launch-20210105-p56rty.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- And then there were three: U.K. approves Moderna’s COVID vaccine [https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-uk-approves-moderna-coronavirus-shot/]
- E.U. Regulators Approve Drawing up To Six Doses From BioNTech-Pfizer Vaccine Vials [https://time.com/5927884/vaccine-europe-doses-covid/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Fworld+%28TIME%3A+Top+World+Stories%29]
- EU doubles BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine order to 600 mn jabs [https://www.rfi.fr/en/eu-doubles-biontech-pfizer-vaccine-order-to-600-mn-jabs]
- Covid-19: Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine works against UK, South African variants, study says [https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210108-covid-19-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-works-against-uk-south-african-variants-study-says]
- Covid: First round of US vaccinations to begin on Monday [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55289726]
- Covid in Scotland: Care home vaccinations to begin on Monday [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55287355]