The Kenyan government on Wednesday dismissed 86 doctors who had refused to resume work amid an ongoing strike since December 2020, against poor working conditions during the coronavirus pandemic.
Read more: Angry medics protest poor working conditions during COVID in Kenya
Patients left stranded as doctors strike cripples public hospitals
Chibanzi Mawachonda, secretary general of the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Pharmacists and Dentist’s Union (KMPDU), a doctors association, was among those dismissed.
Speaking by telephone to Anadolu news agency, Chibanzi Mawachonda of the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Pharmacists and Dentist’s Union said the government’s position was illegal and un-called for.
He condemned the move and called on the government to resolve its grievances as opposed to firing them.
Talks with the government late December over salary and lack of protective gear, led many doctors returning to work.
But, some refused saying that their issues remained unresolved. The sacked doctors have vowed to take the government to court.
At least 14 doctors have died of the coronavirus in Kenya since the first case was confirmed in March, according to the doctors union.
Kenya’s health care system is facing further pressure from nurses who have similar grievances and have also been striking since early December.
The Kenyan Health Ministry has so far registered 1,694 fatalities and 97,398 infections from the coronavirus.
- The daily coronavirus update: 48 more deaths; 2,374 new cases in Minnesota [https://www.minnpost.com/health/2021/01/the-daily-coronavirus-update-48-more-deaths-2374-new-cases-in-minnesota/]
- White House task force says there could be a fast-spreading ‘USA variant’ of coronavirus [https://whdh.com/news/white-house-task-force-says-there-could-be-a-fast-spreading-usa-variant-of-coronavirus/]
- UN Fears ‘Massive Community Transmission’ of COVID-19 in Tigray [https://www.tesfanews.net/tigray-massive-covid-community-transmission/]
- COVID-19: Sanwo-Olu commissions Armoured Shield Isolation Centre [https://theeagleonline.com.ng/covid-19-sanwo-olu-commissions-armoured-shield-isolation-centre/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=covid-19-sanwo-olu-commissions-armoured-shield-isolation-centre]
- New Rochelle hospital under investigation for illegal use of COVID vaccines [https://nypost.com/2021/01/08/ny-hospital-under-investigation-for-illegal-use-of-covid-vaccines/]
- Chicago’s public health commissioner: City residents 65 or older can get COVID-19 vaccine in the next distribution phase [https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/vaccine/ct-covid-vaccine-phase-1b-65-residents-arwady-20210108-iewdzijesfhbhi5pejxfvqlojy-story.html]
- Missed Gov. Whitmer’s Press Conference? Here’s Her Update On The State’s Response To COVID-19 [https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2021/01/08/missed-gov-whitmers-press-conference-heres-her-update-on-the-states-response-to-covid-19/]
- Vaccine rollout hits snag as health workers balk at shots [https://wtop.com/national/2021/01/vaccine-rollout-hits-snag-as-health-workers-balk-at-shots/]
- Illinois records 126 more COVID-19 deaths, another 9,277 new cases [https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210108/illinois-records-126-more-covid-19-deaths-another-9277-new-cases]
- 20 military medical workers helping Riverside County hospital with coronavirus surge [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/08/20-military-medical-workers-helping-riverside-county-hospital-with-coronavirus-surge/]
- Coronavirus: California hospitals make desperate appeal for more staffing, less red tape [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/08/coronavirus-california-hospitals-make-desperate-appeal-for-more-staffing-less-red-tape/]
- U.S. tops 4,000 daily deaths from coronavirus for 1st time [https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20210108/news/301089934/]
- ‘Very anxious’: Lebanon’s ICU doctors fear unfolding COVID surge [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/8/very-anxious-lebanons-icu-doctors-fear-unfolding-covid-surge]
- VIRUS TODAY: Pfizer says vaccine can work against variants [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2021/01/08/virus-today-pfizer-says-vaccine-can-work-against-variants.html]
- Holiday gatherings, travel have some impact on virus numbers [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2021/01/08/holiday-gatherings-travel-have-some-impact-on-virus-numbers.html]