Indonesia reported on Friday a record daily number of new COVID-19 cases for the third successive day with 10,617 infections, bringing the total to over 800,000, data from the country’s COVID-19 tadk force showed.
The Southeast Asia biggest country also reported 233 new COVID-19 deaths, taking that total to 23,753
More than 87.42 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 1,888,982 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
Infections have been reported in more than 210 countries and territories since the first cases were identified in China in December 2019.
In Japan, authorities in Tokyo confirmed that daily coronavirus cases topped 2,000 for the second day in a row on Friday, after the metropolitan area was put under a one-month state of emergency amid record numbers of cases and the rapid spread of infections in other major cities.
The Tokyo metropolitan government reported 2,392 additional cases of the novel coronavirus, the second highest after 2,447 were recorded on Thursday.
In addition to Tokyo and neighboring prefectures, there have been growing calls from health experts and regional authorities to expand the area under the emergency.
The Osaka prefectural government on Friday decided to request the central government to add its region to the list.
Meanwhile, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morisson said that travelers to Australia will have to show a negative COVID-19 test before they can get on their plane, as the city of Brisbane went into lockdown after the discovery of a case of a virulent new coronavirus variant.
The more than 2 million residents of Brisbane, Australia’s third-largest city, will be barred from leaving their homes for anything but essential business for three days from Friday evening after a worker at a quarantine hotel tested positive for the new variant, which was first detected in Britain.
Australia has found several cases of the variant but this was the first one to appear outside the quarantine system. Australia has also found a variant that emerged in South Africa in hotel quarantine.
- Greece extends international travel restrictions to Jan. 21, toughens quarantine [https://www.todayonline.com/world/greece-extends-international-travel-restrictions-jan-21-toughens-quarantine]
- Israel postpones Netanyahu’s trial amid virus lockdown [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/middleeast/2021/01/08/israel-postpones-netanyahus-trial-amid-virus-lockdown.html]
- UK approves two drugs reducing risk of death on sickest COVID-19 patients by a quarter [https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/08/uk-approves-two-drugs-reducing-risk-of-death-on-sickest-covid-19-patients-by-a-quarter]
- Indonesian clerics declare Sinovac’s Covid-19 vaccine halal [https://www.todayonline.com/world/indonesian-clerics-declare-sinovacs-covid-19-vaccine-halal-0]
- Cyprus goes into new lockdown from Jan 10 as COVID surges [https://www.todayonline.com/world/cyprus-goes-new-lockdown-jan-10-covid-surges]
- Malaysia PM to announce new COVID-19 measures as deaths hit daily record [https://www.todayonline.com/world/malaysia-pm-announce-new-covid-19-measures-deaths-hit-daily-record]
- 82 in India detected with new UK mutant strain [https://morungexpress.com/82-in-india-detected-with-new-uk-mutant-strain]
- Covid-19: 82 persons detected with new UK mutant strain in India [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/covid-19-82-persons-detected-with-new-uk-mutant-strain-in-india-121010800852_1.html]
- PM to announce mitigation measures on Monday [https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/01/08/pm-to-announce-mitigation-measures-on-monday/]
- France “cannot lower its guard” says PM [https://monacolife.net/france-cannot-lower-its-guard-says-pm/]