Medical workers take test swab samples for the new coronavirus disease from residents in the Hebei province capital Shijiazhuang, on Wednesday. The capital has diagnosed 51 more infected locals in the latest coronavirus outbreak. The city is now under lockdown.
Shijiazhuang, capital of Hebei province, has been put under a lockdown after the city near Beijing reported the highest daily coronavirus infections since the outbreak over the past weekend, the China Daily reports.
The province reported 51 new locals who are infected Thursday, bringing the total number of confirmed patients to 90 in Hebei, the provincial health commission said on Thursday. Another 69 infected people not showing symptoms were also diagnosed.
Among the newly confirmed local patients, 50 were reported in the provincial capital of Shijiazhuang. Also, 67 of the non symptomatic carriers were found in Shijiazhuang.
“All residents and vehicles are not allowed to leave Shijiazhuang and residents’ movements within the city will be limited,” Meng Xianghong, vice-mayor of Shijiazhuang, said on Thursday night at a news conference on epidemic control.
The Standard Channel IOS Android IOS Android More>>
Many flights to and from Shijiazhuang have been canceled since Thursday morning. Railway stations have stopped selling tickets, while long-distance buses are suspended, Mi Zhiqi, head of the city’s transport bureau, said at the conference.
Vehicles are not allowed to enter or exit except for those transporting daily necessities or medical materials.
The cases in Shijiazhuang are mainly in two villages in Zengcun town, Gaocheng district. But the contacts are widely spread across five districts in downtown Shijiazhuang and 10 other counties and districts, Meng said.
In Gaocheng district, the country’s only high-risk area for the virus, locals are not allowed to leave, Meng added.
Three officials there have been punished for dereliction of duty in coronavirus prevention and control after a resident tested positive on January 3, according to the city’s top anti-corruption authority.
To understand the scale of the outbreak, Shijiazhuang started universal testing on Wednesday. By midday on Thursday, it had collected over 6 million samples, more than 2.4 million of which have been tested, with 11 samples testing positive.
For treatment, the Shijiazhuang Fifth Hospital has been cleared for coronavirus patients, and another three hospitals are preparing, Meng said. A total of 49 medical experts have been deployed, Meng said.
Currently, all the patients are in stable condition, she added.
- HK reports 45 new Covid cases, three buildings need mandatory testing [https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/4/162946/HK-reports-45-new-Covid-cases,-three-buildings-need-mandatory-testing]
- Hebei capital names acting mayor [https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/3/162947/Hebei-capital-names-acting-mayor]
- South Korea confirms 35 deaths; 674 cases [https://www.bna.bh/en/SouthKoreaconfirms35deaths674cases.aspx?cms=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1%2bDrujujeKOyGXAvw0QWiHvYY%3d]
- 10 medical teams sent to China’s Hebei to aid COVID-19 screening [http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0108/c90000-9807471.html]
- Tokyo logs 2,392 new virus cases, topping 2,000 for 2nd day in a row [http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14091901]