SAO PAULO -The Brazilian production partner for a coronavirus vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac Biotech filed on Friday for emergency use authorization with health regulator Anvisa, the day after announcing results from a late-stage trial.
The Chinese vaccine is the first with an emergency use request filed in Brazil, where more than 200,000 have died of COVID-19 – the worst death toll outside the United States.
Anvisa will evaluate the request and reach a conclusion within in 10 days, the regulator said in a statement.
Butantan, which is funded by the Sao Paulo state government, has already begun filling and finishing doses of the vaccine known as CoronaVac with ingredients from China. The institute said separately that it had filed the request Friday morning.
Butantan officials announced on Thursday that the vaccine was 78% effective against mild COVID-19 infections and entirely prevented severe cases in a late-stage trial, however the lack of details left some demanding more transparency.
The filing submitted to Anvisa on Friday is expected to contain the detailed trial data for regulators to scrutinize Butantan’s findings.
Health Minister Eduardo Pazuello said on Thursday that the federal government would buy Butantan’s full output of CoronaVac this year, signing a deal for 100 million doses to supply a national immunization program starting this month. REUTERS
- Queens ‘Polio Pioneer’ one of the first to receive COVID-19 vaccine at Whitestone nursing home [https://www.amny.com/news/queens-polio-pioneer-one-of-the-first-to-receive-covid-19-vaccine-at-whitestone-nursing-home/]
- Covid priority list: When will I get the Covid vaccine? [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-55153322]
- Under-fire European officials step up vaccine push [https://www.rfi.fr/en/under-fire-european-officials-step-up-vaccine-push]
- Chinese vaccine seeks regulatory approval in Brazil [https://www.rfi.fr/en/chinese-vaccine-seeks-regulatory-approval-in-brazil]
- PM to interact with CMs on Monday over Covid situation, vaccine roll-out [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/pm-to-interact-with-cms-on-monday-over-covid-situation-vaccine-roll-out-121010801279_1.html]
- Brazil CoronaVac producer files for emergency use [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/08/drakeford-wales-not-lagging-behind-rest-of-uk-with-vaccinations/]
- Spain warns of ‘difficult weeks ahead’ amid surge in Covid-19 cases [https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-01-08/spain-warns-of-difficult-weeks-ahead-amid-surge-in-covid-19-cases.html]
- Govt to provide free coronavirus vaccine to people, says Fawad Chaudhry [https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/771242-govt-to-provide-free-coronavirus-vaccination-to-people-says-fawad-chaudhry]
- Covid-19 vaccine in UAE: 53,859 people vaccinated in last 24 hours [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/covid-19-vaccine-in-uae-53859-people-vaccinated-in-last-24-hours]
- CTU proposed no in-person learning until all employees receive at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine (LIVE UPDATES) [https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2021/1/8/22220540/latest-coronavirus-news-live-updates-chicago-illinois-2020]
- PM Lee Hsien Loong receives first dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pm-lee-hsien-loong-covid-19-vaccine-first-dose-pfizer-biontech-13919024]
- DeKalb County To Open COVID-19 Vaccine To The Public [https://tampa.cbslocal.com/2021/01/08/dekalb-county-to-open-covid-19-vaccine-to-the-public/]