Friday, January 8, 2021Sign in / Join Search Home Foreign Africa’s COVID-19 cases near 3m as death toll hits 69,000 – WHOAfrica’s COVID-19 cases near 3m as death toll hits 69,000 – WHO By Peter ChibunduJanuary 8, 20214
The World Health Organisation (WHO) Regional Office for Africa in Brazzaville, Congo, says there are over 2.9 million confirmed COVID-19 cases on the African continent.
The UN health agency gave the update on its regional official Twitter on Thursday.
WHO stated on its dashboard that there were over 2.9 million confirmed COVID-19 cases on the African continent – with more than 1.6 million recoveries and 69,000 deaths cumulatively.
According to the dashboard, South Africa reported the highest number of new cases, followed by Nigeria and Congo on the list of countries with highest reported COVID-19 cases.
It showed that South Africa reported 21,832 new cases, recording 1.14 million cumulative cases and 31,368 deaths while Nigeria had 1,664 new reported cases with cumulative confirmed cases of 94, 369 and 1,324 cumulative deaths.
Also, it stated that Congo reported 960 new cases with 7,160 cumulative cases and 100 deaths.
According to the UN health Agency, physical distancing is one of the most effective methods to limit the spread of COVID-19.
“When possible maintain at least one-meter distance between you and others.
“To keep yourself and others safe from COVID-19 on public transport, don’t throw used tissues on the floor,” the Agency said.
For a better society
Tags 000 – WHO Africa’s COVID-19 cases near 3m as death toll hits 69 Buhari urges Commission to assist in lifting 100m Nigerians out of poverty Champion Newspapers championnews.com.ng Covid-19 daily Champion Newspapers Daily News Foreign News Latest News Nigeria champion newspapers Nigeria News Nigeria newspapers online news Previous articleTribute: Lay Reader Edwin Ibekwe: Celebrating a great hero and caring father Peter Chibunduhttps://www.championnews.com.ng/ Foreign
WHO team blocked from entering China to study origins of coronavirus
January 7, 2021 0 The World Health Organization has announced that China has blocked its team investigating the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, from entering the country. WHO Director-General,… Read more Foreign
U.S. nurse contracts COVID-19 after receiving Pfizer’s vaccine
December 31, 2020 0 . As govt suspends another who stripped off PPE to have sex with coronavirus patient Agency Reporter A nurse in California tested positive for COVID-19 more… Read more Foreign
Storm wreaks havoc across France, Britain
December 27, 2020 0 A major storm swept across Britain and into northern France on Sunday, leaving thousands of households without power. Around 18,000 households in northern France are… Read more
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply
Please enter your comment! Please enter your name here You have entered an incorrect email address! Please enter your email address here
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
- Andhra Pradesh govt. issues fresh coronavirus guidelines amid outbreak of new strain [https://www.thehansindia.com/andhra-pradesh/andhra-pradesh-govt-issues-fresh-coronavirus-guidelines-amid-outbreak-of-new-strain-665934]
- 82 people have tested positive for new variant of Covid in India: Govt [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/82-people-have-tested-positive-for-new-variant-of-covid-in-india-govt-121010800480_1.html]
- Chaos at Harare Hospital: Nurses refuse to enter hospital premises as Covid-19 kills chief nurse [https://www.myzimbabwe.co.zw/news/75431-chaos-at-harare-hospital-nurses-refuse-to-enter-hospital-premises-as-covid-19-kills-chief-nurse.html]
- Czech Republic coronavirus update, Jan. 8, 2021: Restrictions extended after record-setting week The current number of infected hit a record high this week; the Czech government has extended the current lockdown measures. [https://www.expats.cz/czech-news/article/czech-republic-coronavirus-update-jan-8-2021-restrictions-extended-as-new-cases-soar]
- Dozens of Hebei virus infections ‘around for a while’ [https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/3/162938/Dozens-of-Hebei-virus-infections-‘around-for-a-while’]
- Singapore PM Lee gets his first dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine [https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/01/08/singapore-pm-lee-gets-his-first-dose-of-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine/]
- UK virus strain triggers snap lockdown in Australia’s Brisbane [https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/01/08/uk-virus-strain-triggers-snap-lockdown-in-australias-brisbane/]
- S. Korea ̔s third wave of COVID-19 has passed its peak and is slowly going down : ARIRANG [https://www.arirang.com/News/News_View.asp?nseq=270496]
- COVID-19: 166 new cases, 10 deaths, 416 recoveries [https://mia.mk/covid-19-166-new-cases-10-deaths-416-recoveries/?lang=en]
- 23 new Covid-19 cases in Singapore, with 21 imported and 2 in community [https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/23-new-covid-19-cases-in-singapore-including-21-imported-and-2-in-the-community]
- Armenia: Coronavirus tally rises to 161,415 [https://report.az/en/region/armenia-coronavirus-tally-rises-to-161-415/]
- COVID-19: Nehawu concerned about healthcare workers [https://www.enca.com/news/covid-19-nehawu-concerned-about-healthcare-workers]