BOSTON (WHDH) – U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts Andrew E. Lelling intends to prosecute any residents who traveled to the nation’s capital to participate in Wednesday afternoon’s siege, according to a statement on Thursday.
In his statement, Lelling calls the siege on the Capitol building shocking, saying a peaceful demonstration turned violent and became criminal.
“The Constitution protects the right to freedom of speech and assembly. What it does not protect is a violent assault on government institutions. Americans on the right and left must re-learn the difference. Anyone who traveled from Massachusetts with the intent to commit such crimes will be prosecuted in the District of Massachusetts,” Lelling said.
(Copyright (c) 2020 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Omar unveils articles of impeachment against Trump [https://www.minnpost.com/glean/2021/01/omar-unveils-articles-of-impeachment-against-trump/]
- Beyond DC: Protests rock California, Utah, Michigan and more [https://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-protests-rock-california-utah-michigan/story?id=75108241]
- US Capitol rioter fired from job at Maryland marketing firm [https://nypost.com/2021/01/07/us-capitol-rioter-fired-from-job-at-maryland-marketing-firm/]
- Cape May man identified among rioters arrested by U.S. Capitol Police [https://www.phillyvoice.com/cape-may-capitol-police-arrests-washington-leonard-guthrie-new-jersey/?utm_source=news&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=pv-site]
- Boston Marathon bomber sues over ballcap, showers in prison [https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/boston-marathon-bomber-sues-ballcap-showers-prison-75110907]
- Mayor Sylvester Turner to weigh on DC Capitol riot and COVID-19 variant’s arrival in Houston area [https://abc13.com/politics/houston-mayor-and-hpd-chief-to-weigh-on-capitol-riot/9442569/]
- Florida firefighter under investigation for role in Capitol siege [https://nypost.com/2021/01/07/florida-firefighter-under-investigation-in-capitol-siege/]
- Charlie Baker rips GOP’s ‘brazenly political’ election challenge and says Trump should ‘step down’ after Capitol riot [https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/01/07/watch-charlie-baker-coronavirus-press-conference-thursday]
- Maryland Marketing Firm Fires Employee Who Broke Into Capitol Wearing Company Badge [https://www.newsweek.com/maryland-marketing-firm-fires-employee-who-broke-capitol-wearing-company-badge-1559811]
- 1 hurt in midday shooting on Dan Ryan at 67th Street [https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021/1/7/22219322/dan-ryan-shooting-67th-street]
- Afternoon Edition: Jan. 7, 2021 [https://chicago.suntimes.com/afternoon-edition-newsletter/2021/1/7/22219229/afternoon-edition-jan-7-2021]
- 2 Connecticut residents among those arrested at U.S. Capitol [https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2021/01/07/2-connecticut-residents-among-those-arrested-at-u-s-capitol]