Taiwan’s Health minister Chen Shih-chung in a virtual meeting on Wednesday (January 6) discussed the global development of the coronavirus pandemic with Slovenian prime minister Janez Jansa.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), the two officials exchanged ideas on how to effectively contain the spread of the disease as well as improve the vaccine situation in both countries. They also evaluated the surge in coronavirus cases in Europe and around the world.
While expressing gratitude for Taiwan’s donations of medical supplies to Slovenia last year, Jansa accredited late Slovenian doctor Janez Janez, who worked for 40 years in northern Taiwan, with laying the foundations for bilateral cooperation in health. He said Janez had set a great example for the people of both countries.
Jansa also acknowledged Taiwan’s success in epidemic prevention. He said he had been deeply impressed by the country’s alertness and quick response to the pandemic.
Chen thanked Slovenia for continuing to support Taiwan’s bid to join World Health Assembly meetings. He emphasized that infectious diseases know no borders and that it is important for countries to combine their efforts against the coronavirus.
Jansa served as the prime minister of the Central European nation from 2004 to 2008 and from 2012 to 2013. He has visited Taiwan three times and praised the country for its friendly people and convenient healthcare system.
- Connecticut confirms two cases of new U.K. coronavirus variant [https://ctmirror.org/2021/01/07/connecticut-confirms-two-cases-of-new-u-k-coronavirus-variant/]
- HK fourth wave: household members of coronavirus patients’ close contacts to be tested under new proposal, as another 25 cases recorded [https://www.intellasia.net/hk-fourth-wave-household-members-of-coronavirus-patients-close-contacts-to-be-tested-under-new-proposal-as-another-25-cases-recorded-852296]
- Chinese vaccine 78% effective in Brazil tests: Officials [https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2021/01/07/642523/Brazil-Chinese-vaccine-COVID-19-coronavirus-success]
- HK fourth wave: city facing more than 30 new coronavirus cases as Sinovac vaccine efficacy rates expected later [https://www.intellasia.net/hk-fourth-wave-city-facing-more-than-30-new-coronavirus-cases-as-sinovac-vaccine-efficacy-rates-expected-later-852277]
- Hard Rock Stadium converts COVID-19 testing site into vaccination site amid statewide rollout [https://wsvn.com/news/local/hard-rock-stadium-converts-covid-19-testing-site-into-vaccination-site-amid-statewide-rollout/]
- Only 43 percent of vaccines shipped to Mass. have been administered, health data shows [https://whdh.com/news/only-43-percent-of-vaccines-shipped-to-mass-have-been-administered-health-data-shows/]
- Brazilian study says Sinovac COVID-19 jab 78% effective [https://wtop.com/asia/2021/01/brazilian-study-says-sinovac-covid-19-jab-78-effective/]
- California sees two-day record of coronavirus deaths [https://wtop.com/national/2021/01/california-hospitals-prepping-for-grim-covid-19-choices/]
- Victoria records no new locally acquired cases, one in hotel quarantine [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-08/victoria-records-no-new-locally-acquired-coronavirus-cases/13041416]
- Florida Turns Testing Site in Miami into Vaccination Spot [https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com/news/local-news/florida-turns-testing-site-in-miami-into-vaccination-spot/]