About 20,000 doses of Moderna will arrive in the Czech Republic by the end of January, which is far fewer than the expected 80,000 doses. The vials should arrive around Jan. 22, Health Minister Jan Blatný told the Tn.cz news platform.
“Our current information, which has not yet been definitively confirmed, is that the delivery of vaccines will reach the Czech Republic in January,” said Blatný.
He added that the numbers would be lower than originally stated as he estimated the January delivery at 20,000 doses. That would be enough to vaccinate 10,000 people. However, the number of doses slated for delivery may change, noted Blatný.
The European Union authorized the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. Czechia has earlier ordered 1.9 million doses of this vaccine from the EU.
According to the Czech State Institute for Drug Control, the Moderna vaccine is intended for people over 18 years of age. It is administered in two doses 28 days apart. The Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine, which Czechia uses for vaccination since the end of December, also requires two doses for each person, but 21 days apart. The government’s vaccination strategy assumes that 80,000 doses should be delivered to the Czech Republic every month in the first quarter of the year. The number should rise to 278,000 doses per month from April to September. However, these estimates change a lot.
The Moderna vaccine does not need such low storage temperatures as the Pfizer-BioNTech one. The company states that at temperatures of 2 to 8 degrees Celsius, it lasts 30 days, while at temperatures of negative 25 to 15 degrees Celsius, it can last up to half a year. Therefore, the Moderna vaccine could get to smaller vaccination centers that do not have the necessary equipment to store the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
Other planned vaccines have not yet been approved. However, Czechia has already ordered through the EU 3 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine and two million doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Title image: In this file photo dated Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2020, a bottle of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine on a table before being utilized in Topeka, USA. The European Union’s medicines agency on Wednesday Jan. 6, 2021, gave the green light to Moderna Inc.’s COVID-19 vaccine, a decision that gives the 27-nation bloc a second vaccine to use to fight the virus rampaging across the continent.(AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, FILE)
- First batch of Moderna vaccines arrives in Israel [https://www.timesofisrael.com/first-batch-of-moderna-vaccines-arrives-in-israel/]
- Coronavirus: Why are Czechs among Europe’s most sceptical when it comes to vaccines? [https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/06/coronavirus-why-are-czechs-among-europe-s-most-sceptical-when-it-comes-to-vaccines#new_tab]
- Coronavirus digest: China’s Sinovac vaccine 78% effective, says Brazil [https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-chinas-sinovac-vaccine-78-effective-says-brazil/a-56153810]
- Kenya says 1st AstraZeneca vaccine doses to come next month [https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-east-africa-africa-coronavirus-vaccine-d02dd187bc7a0fb972e9b74b36d15eed]
- Govt approves Beximco to import, distribute Covid-19 vaccine from India [https://www.dhakatribune.com/health/coronavirus/2021/01/07/govt-approves-beximco-to-import-distribute-covid-19-vaccine-from-india]
- Kenya says 1st AstraZeneca vaccine doses to come next month [https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20210107/news/301079946/]
- South Africa buys 1.5 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine [https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20210107/news/301079964/]
- Covid-19 Vaccine In Children: Bahamas Ministry of Health States Its Position [https://eleutheranews.com/?p=23337]
- Healthcare Workers In South LA To Receive COVID-19 Vaccine In Effort To Remove Stigma [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/07/healthcare-workers-in-south-la-to-receive-covid-19-vaccine-in-effort-to-remove-stigma/]
- EU vaccine farce: Italy fears MAFIA linked with rollout as Interpol issues orange alert [https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1381040/eu-vaccine-mafia-italy-vaccine-shortage-EU-news-covid-vaccine-latest?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-world-news+%28Express+%3A%3A+World+Feed%29]
- Inside one GP surgery’s Covid vaccine roll-out [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-55568793]
- Odisha to go in for 2nd COVID-19 vaccination dry run tomorrow [https://pragativadi.com/odisha-to-go-in-for-2nd-covid-19-vaccination-dry-run-tomorrow/]
- WHO reviewing Covid vaccines from China, AstraZeneca for emergency listing WHO reviewing Covid vaccines from China, AstraZeneca for emergency listing [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/who-reviewing-covid-vaccines-china-astrazeneca-emergency-listing-182329]
- Vaccine assurance by India important: Doraiswami Vaccine assurance by India important: Doraiswami [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/covid-19-bangladesh/vaccine-assurance-india-important-doraiswami-182311]
- Portugal to receive first Moderna vaccines in “coming days” [https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/2021-01-07/portugal-to-receive-first-moderna-vaccines-in-coming-days/57614]
- ‘Extraordinary national crisis’ for health service – HSE chief [https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0107/1188280-covid-hse/]
- India’s dress rehearsal sets stage for vaccination [https://asiatimes.com/2021/01/indias-dress-rehearsal-sets-stage-for-vaccination/]
- ‘Alarming’ virus variants need bolder response: WHO [https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/01/07/alarming-virus-variants-need-bolder-response-who/]
- COVID-19 vaccine deliveries under COVAX could start this month – WHO [https://news.trust.org/item/20210107134710-tmfib]
- Global virus deaths hit record high as EU approves second vaccine [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/07/global-virus-deaths-hit-record-high-as-eu-approves-second-vaccine/1938365]
- WHO reviewing COVID vaccines from China, AstraZeneca for emergency listing [https://news.trust.org/item/20210107133040-op6sj]
- Babiš: All can apply for coronavirus vaccinations from February [https://english.radio.cz/babis-all-can-apply-coronavirus-vaccinations-february-8704527]
- Ministry plan envisages vaccinating high risk groups by March [https://english.radio.cz/ministry-plan-envisages-vaccinating-high-risk-groups-march-8704737]
- Covid-19 vaccine: Bharat Biotech completes recruitment for phase 3 trials [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/covid-19-vaccine-bharat-biotech-completes-recruitment-for-phase-3-trials-121010701171_1.html]
- Harsh Vardhan to visit TN on Friday to review vaccination dry run [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/harsh-vardhan-to-visit-tn-on-friday-to-review-vaccination-dry-run-121010701169_1.html]
- Covid vaccination likely to begin in India by Jan 12 [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/01/07/covid-vaccination-likely-to-begin-in-india-by-jan-12/]
- Harsh Vardhan reviews preparedness for vaccine dry run on Friday [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/harsh-vardhan-reviews-preparedness-for-vaccine-dry-run-on-friday-121010701075_1.html]
- Pakistan expects to get first coronavirus vaccine shipment by end of this month [https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/770671-pakistan-expects-to-get-first-coronavirus-vaccine-shipment-by-end-of-this-month]
- Moderna CEO says vaccine likely to protect for ‘couple of years’ Moderna CEO says vaccine likely to protect for ‘couple of years’ [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/moderna-ceo-says-vaccine-likely-protect-couple-years-182161]
- Senegal seeking vaccines beyond WHO-backed COVAX scheme [https://news.trust.org/item/20210107124236-1wj6g]
- Amid COVID-19 surge, S.Africa aims to vaccinate for herd immunity [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=557980]
- Saudi Arabia unveils ‘Health Passport’ for coronavirus vaccine recipients [https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/602250/SAUDI-ARABIA/Saudi-Arabia-unveils-Health-Passport-for-coronavirus-vaccine-recipients]
- Czechia to receive far fewer Moderna vaccine doses than expected [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/07/more-than-110000-receive-first-coronavirus-vaccination-in-scotland/]
- COVID vaccines must be stored at 2-8 degrees C: minister [https://en.antaranews.com/news/165224/covid-vaccines-must-be-stored-at-2-8-degrees-c-minister]
- Chamber of Doctors: the vaccination process of Hungarian healthcare professionals is chaotic [https://dailynewshungary.com/chamber-of-doctors-the-vaccination-process-of-hungarian-healthcare-professionals-is-chaotic/]
- Gov’t to ensure safety & efficacy of COVID vaccines,DOH assures [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267462631/govt-to-ensure-safety–efficacy-of-covid-vaccinesdoh-assures]