Denmark’s health system to get more options as the EU approves vaccine from US producer
Earlier this week, the government announced that all care centres nationwide will have had the first of two Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 injections in the next few days.
Now news has emerged that yet another vaccine will be available to Denmark in the near future.
At the behest of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), the EU Commission has approved the COVID-19 vaccine produced by US firm Moderna.
Data shows that both vaccines reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection by 94-95 percent.
“It’s wonderful that we have yet another vaccine approved that we can introduce into our program,” said Søren Brostrøm, the head of health authority Sundhedsstyrelsen.
“I hope the first Moderna vaccines will be delivered very soon so we can offer vaccinations to even more people in the risk groups.”
READ ALSO: Government reduces gathering limit to five as COVID-19 mutation gathers momentum
Easier to store, transport Brostrøm went on to say that distributing the Moderna vaccine should be even easier than the Pfizer-BioNTec vaccine.
Unlike the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the Moderna vaccine is not required to be stored in extreme low temperatures.
This also makes it easy to be transported and handled by medical staff – not that there has been any issues thus far.
“It’ll make it even easier to distribute Moderna’s vaccines in all areas of Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Greenland,” said Brostrøm.
Read more about the government’s vaccine plan here.
- Peru: President announces purchase of first COVID-19 vaccine batch [https://andina.pe/ingles/noticia-peru-president-announces-purchase-of-first-covid19-vaccine-batch-828840.aspx]
- Factbox-Vaccine dosing intervals: What countries are doing around the world [https://www.todayonline.com/world/factbox-vaccine-dosing-intervals-what-countries-are-doing-around-world-0]
- Explainer-How safe is it to switch and space COVID-19 vaccine doses? [https://www.todayonline.com/world/explainer-how-safe-it-switch-and-space-covid-19-vaccine-doses]
- More allergic reactions to Covid vaccine reported, but overall remain rare [https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/more-allergic-reactions-covid-vaccine-reported-overall-remain-rare-n1253007]
- 29 COVID-19 vaccine recipients had serious allergic reactions: CDC [https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/29-covid-vaccine-recipients-had-serious-allergic-reactions-cdc/]
- All You Need To Know About Switching, Spacing Covid Vaccine Doses [https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/all-you-need-to-know-about-switching-spacing-covid-vaccine-doses-2348764]
- COVID-19: Single vaccine dose leads to ‘greater risk’ from new coronavirus variants, South African experts warn [https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-single-vaccine-dose-leads-to-greater-risk-from-new-coronavirus-variants-south-african-experts-warn-12180837]
- Covid-19: US officials report more severe allergic reactions to Pfizer, Moderna vaccines [https://www.news24.com/news24/World/News/covid-19-us-officials-report-more-severe-allergic-reactions-to-pfizer-moderna-vaccines-20210106]
- U.S. officials report more severe allergic reactions to COVID-19 vaccines [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106170111-9to8f]
- 69% Indians hesitant to take Corona vaccine [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/national/69-indians-hesitant-to-take-corona-vaccine-665657]
- Israel leads world in vaccination drive [https://www.omanobserver.om/israel-leads-world-in-vaccination-drive/]
- Moderna vaccine to criss-cross continent before Europeans get shots [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106171112-tzp2t]
- Is Forever Mass-Vaxxing the “New Abnormal”? [https://www.globalresearch.ca/is-forever-mass-vaxxing-the-new-abnormal/5733705]
- South African medical schemes to fund COVID-19 vaccines for 30% of adults [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106165711-wz41o]
- EU agency approves Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.bna.bh/en/EUagencyapprovesModernasCOVID19vaccine.aspx?cms=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1%2bDqq3AaNuji0ptEqSUS8hBs4%3d]
- Globe Biotech gets DGDA approval to produce vaccine [http://thedailynewnation.com/news/274464/globe-biotech-gets-dgda-approval-to-produce-vaccine.html]
- Moderna Talking! Another COVID-19 vaccine coming to Denmark [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/06/vaccinate-at-risk-health-and-care-workers-in-two-weeks-union/]
- Moderna Vaccine approved [https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/2021-01-06/moderna-vaccine-approved/57546]
- WHO vaccine advisers say 2nd Pfizer Covid jab may be delayed [https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/01/06/news/latest-stories/who-vaccine-advisers-say-2nd-pfizer-covid-jab-may-be-delayed/823416/]
- COVID-19: FG to start administering vaccines on Nigerians soon [https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/covid-19-fg-to-start-administering-vaccines-on-nigerians-soon/]
- Coronavirus: health ministry issues Q&A for Moderna vaccine [https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/01/06/coronavirus-health-ministry-issues-qa-for-moderna-vaccine/]
- Ukraine investigating illegal vaccinations against COVID [https://www.todayonline.com/world/ukraine-investigating-illegal-vaccinations-against-covid-pm]
- Moderna COVID-19 vaccine gets the green light in Europe [https://www.todayonline.com/world/dutch-play-catch-europes-patchy-covid-19-vaccine-drive]
- Chilean lawmakers propose making coronavirus vaccine mandatory [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/chilean-lawmakers-propose-making-coronavirus-vaccine-mandatory-n1253037]
- Severe allergic reactions reported after getting COVID-19 vaccine, CDC study finds [https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/06/covid-vaccine-cdc-reports-severe-allergic-reactions-anaphylaxis/6564018002/]
- Nurse first in Netherlands to get COVID-19 vaccination [https://www.todayonline.com/world/nurse-first-netherlands-get-covid-19-vaccination]