(CBS DETROIT) – The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has ranked Michigan among the worst in the nation for administering vaccines to health care workers, first responders and others who fall into the top priority for immunizations.
Michigan officials say they are doing what they can to encourage more vaccinations, but some front line workers are declining to be vaccinated, according to the Detroit Free Press.
CDC data released Monday that showed there have been only six other states — Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Kansas, Mississippi and North Carolina — that have vaccinated fewer people per capita.
The Detroit Free Press reports according to the state health department data as of Monday, Michigan received 520,150 doses of Pfizer’s and Moderna’s coronavirus vaccines — only 27 percent of those vaccine doses had been administered. This means nearly 380,000 doses remain in freezers unused.
Michigan health officials told the Detroit Free Press, “launching mass vaccinations over the December holiday season created delays.”
“Although it was appropriate to start vaccinations as soon as the vaccine was available, it has caused the rollout to be slower,” said Bob Wheaton, a spokesperson for the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
Now, to help speed up the process of getting more vaccinated, state health officials say they are working with hospital and local health departments, offering to help with operational challenges and boosting staffing, the Detroit Free Press reports.
Wheaton says any organization in Michigan that receives COVID-19 vaccines has been told it must “aim to administer 90% of it within seven days of receipt.”
Wheaton also said the state health department has clarified the broad categories of health care workers that should be getting vaccinated and will continue to evaluate the overall strategy to increase vaccination numbers in the state.
MORE FROM CBS DETROIT: 24-Year-Old Detroit Woman Charged In Fatal Shooting Of Boyfriend
MORE FROM CBS DETROIT: Stryker Launches T7™ Personal Protection System
MORE FROM CBS DETROIT: Here’s What Trump Said About Michigan During Phone Call With Georgia Secretary Of State
- Experts concerned as India approves two COVID-19 vaccines: What we know so far [https://www.siasat.com/experts-concerned-as-india-approves-two-covid-19-vaccines-what-we-know-so-far-2061748/]
- Sufficient vaccines secured for healthcare, frontline workers: Govt [https://www.siasat.com/sufficient-vaccines-secured-for-healthcare-frontline-workers-govt-2061773/]
- States struggle for control of chaotic vaccine rollout Feds may cut Moderna vaccine doses in half so more people get shots, Warp Speed adviser says [https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/05/states-struggle-control-vaccine-rollout-455199?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=RSS_Syndication]
- COVID vaccine: Germany and the Netherlands consider delaying second dose [http://voiceofvienna.org/2021/01/06/covid-vaccine-germany-and-the-netherlands-consider-delaying-second-dose/]
- India to export Covid vaccines ‘within weeks’ [http://voiceofvienna.org/2021/01/06/india-to-export-covid-vaccines-within-weeks/]
- Rwanda’s Covid-19 Deaths Reach 105 [https://taarifa.rw/rwandas-covid-19-deaths-reach-105/]
- Health Minister meets first two people to get the COVID-19 vaccine in Qatar [https://www.qatarliving.com/forum/news/posts/health-minister-meets-first-two-people-get-covid-19-vaccine-qatar]
- Norway: Two people vaccinated against COVID-19 die [https://news.am/eng/news/622263.html]
- One in 50 Britons Now Infected with Covid [https://www.novinite.com/articles/207462/One+in+50+Britons+Now+Infected+with+Covid]
- Georgia considers use of three COVID-19 vaccines [https://report.az/en/region/georgia-considers-use-of-three-covid-19-vaccines/]
- Covid vaccine: When will you be eligible? [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639]
- Davao City gears up for Covid-19 vaccination [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1126595]
- Who will get Covid-19 vaccines and when? [https://dailyasianage.com/news/251640/who-will-get-covid-19-vaccines-and-when]
- Vaccine export permitted to all countries: Serum [https://dailyasianage.com/news/251641/vaccine-export–permitted-to-all–countries-serum]
- Investigation launched as 2 people die in Norway nursing home days after receiving Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine [http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2021/01/05/investigation-launched-as-2-people-die-in-norway-nursing-home-days-after-receiving-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine/]
- Cabinet nods for Sri Lanka to receive COVID-19 vaccine through COVAX [http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2021/01/05/cabinet-nods-for-sri-lanka-to-receive-covid-19-vaccine-through-covax/]
- The Latest: Germany: Shortages slow down vaccine rollout [https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2021/01/06/the-latest-thailand-to-expand-virus-testing-at-factories.html]
- Hank Aaron, civil rights leaders get vaccinated in Georgia [https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jan/5/hank-aaron-civil-rights-leaders-get-vaccinated-in-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS]
- Fauci: US could soon give 1 million vaccinations a day [https://thehimalayantimes.com/lifestyle/health/fauci-us-could-soon-give-1-million-vaccinations-a-day/]
- CVS, Walgreens to administer COVID-19 vaccines at U.S. nursing homes by Jan 25 [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106151229-u7sdc]
- U.S. sets COVID-19 hospitalization record as states ramp up vaccination efforts [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106150028-p4ukw]
- India Coronavirus Dispatch: Lockdowns ravage Goa tourism economy [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-coronavirus-dispatch-lockdowns-ravage-goa-tourism-economy-121010600819_1.html]
- Ten Croatian Ministers to be Vaccinated Publicly Tomorrow [https://www.total-croatia-news.com/news/49441-ten-croatian-ministers-to-be-vaccinated-publicly-tomorrow]
- Russia inoculates 1 million people against COVID-19 [https://thehimalayantimes.com/world/russia-inoculates-1-million-people-against-covid-19/]
- States call in National Guard and train volunteers to help boost vaccination pace as US hits a COVID-19 daily death toll record [https://whdh.com/news/states-call-in-national-guard-and-train-volunteers-to-help-boost-vaccination-pace-as-us-hits-a-covid-19-daily-death-toll-record/]
- Covid-19: UAE vaccinates 8% of its population, aims to inoculate 50% during Q1 2021 [https://gulfbusiness.com/covid-19-uae-vaccinates-8-of-its-population-aims-to-inoculate-50-during-q1-2021/]
- Umrah pilgrims advised to take Covid-19 vaccine [https://gulfbusiness.com/umrah-pilgrims-advised-to-take-covid-19-vaccine/]