NANCY SIAME, Lusaka
ZAMBIA is likely to receive the first consignment of coronavirus vaccine by next month and priority will be given to frontline health workers, Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI) director general Victor Mukonka has said.
Professor Mukonka said a national coordination committee has been put in place to oversee preparations for the coming of the vaccine.
He said this during Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation’s Sunday Interview programme.
“We have applied for the vaccine through a consortium of the World Health Organisation and the Africa CDC [Centres for Disease Control],” Prof Mukonka said.
He said the United Kingdom is also being engaged on the possibility of Zambia getting the vaccine from that country.
Prof Mukonka said apart from frontline health workers, the elderly, people with medical conditions and children will be CLICK TO READ MORE
- Covid-19 vaccine: UAE, Israel top 2 countries in giving coronavirus jabs [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/covid-19-vaccine-uae-israel-top-2-countries-in-giving-coronavirus-jabs]
- Ireland plans to distribute 10,000 Moderna vaccine doses per week, says deputy PM [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/06/ireland-plans-to-distribute-10000-moderna-vaccine-doses-per-week-says-deput/1937975]
- Covid-19: Portugal has already received more than 140 thousand doses of the vaccine [https://algarvedailynews.com/news/18696-covid-19-portugal-has-already-received-more-than-140-thousand-doses-of-the-vaccine]
- UK virus mutation not identified in Hungary, says medical officer [https://dailynewshungary.com/uk-virus-mutation-not-identified-in-hungary-says-medical-officer/]
- COVID vaccine in next month [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/06/care-home-vaccine-rollout-needs-to-be-stepped-up-pm/]
- Covid-19 vaccination for medical staff to be provided in other Latvian hospitals [https://bnn-news.com/covid-19-vaccination-for-medical-staff-to-be-provided-in-other-latvian-hospitals-220608]
- All eyes on Covid-19 vaccine [https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2021/01/06/all-eyes-on-covid-19-vaccine]
- COVID vaccine in next month [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/06/more-than-half-of-population-could-be-vaccinated-by-late-march-tony-blair/]
- Cayman Islands to Begin COVID-19 Vaccination Program This Week [https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com/caribbean-breaking-news-featured/cayman-islands-to-begin-covid-19-vaccination-program-this-week/]
- How to Get a COVID-19 Vaccine in Miami-Dade and Broward [https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/where-to-get-the-covid-19-vaccine-in-miami-and-fort-lauderdale-11795798]
- After a freezer filled with COVID-19 vaccines broke, a California hospital scrambled to administer more than 800 doses in about 2 hours [https://whdh.com/news/after-a-freezer-filled-with-covid-19-vaccines-broke-a-california-hospital-scrambled-to-administer-more-than-800-doses-in-about-2-hours/]
- In less than a week, more than 1,000 people have died of coronavirus in Los Angeles County [https://whdh.com/news/in-less-than-a-week-more-than-1000-people-have-died-of-coronavirus-in-los-angeles-county/]
- City wants one million COVID vaccine doses in January [http://foresthillstimes.com/bookmark/27788149]
- GPs to be at forefront of Australia’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout [https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/gps-to-be-at-forefront-of-australia-s-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-20210106-p56s6x.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- Vaccine rollout won’t open international travel by July, experts say [https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/vaccine-rollout-won-t-open-international-travel-by-july-experts-say-20210106-p56s3t.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- UK vows ‘sprint’ to vaccine finishing line [https://www.rfi.fr/en/uk-vows-sprint-to-vaccine-finishing-line]