LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Four additional vaccination sites for health care workers opened Wednesday in the San Fernando Valley and Eastside of Los Angeles, bringing city sites’ collective capacity up to about 2,000 vaccinations per day.
The new locations opened at the Ritchie Valens Recreation Center in Pacoima, the Balboa Sports Complex in Encino, the Hazard Recreation Center in Boyle Heights and the El Sereno Recreation Center and will be able to provide 300 vaccinations per day, Mayor Eric Garcetti said.
On Dec. 30, the first vaccination sites opened at the Lincoln Park Recreation Center, San Fernando Park and the Crenshaw Christian Center in South Los Angeles, and on Friday, another opened at the Hansen Dam.
Garcetti said those sites have provided 6,700 vaccinations in the week they’ve been open.
Jimmy Kim, assistant general manager of the Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks, said that healthcare workers have to be registered to receive their tests, which will be scheduled at a specific time.
Their registrations will be confirmed by the site’s workers, and there will be a screening process to make sure there is no reason that the individual should not receive the vaccination, such as allergies. The entire process takes about five to 15 minutes, Kim said.
Los Angeles County has provided over 100,000 vaccinations in total, many of which have been administered to patients and staff at skilled nursing facilities.
(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. City News Service contributed to this report.)
- UK registers more than 1,000 COVID-19 deaths in latest 24-hour period [https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/06/uk-registers-more-than-1-000-covid-19-deaths-in-latest-24-hour-period]
- AP gears up for Covid jab [https://www.thehansindia.com/andhra-pradesh/ap-gears-up-for-covid-jab-665737]
- Tirupati: Coronavirus vaccination preparedness gains pace [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/cities/tirupathi/tirupati-coronavirus-vaccination-preparedness-gains-pace-665705]
- Peru inks deals with Sinopharm, AstraZeneca for coronavirus vaccines -president [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106185151-6vjle]
- Covid-19: Egypt approves Sinopharm vaccine for general use [https://www.africanews.com/2021/01/03/covid-19-egypt-approves-sinopharm-vaccine-for-general-use/]
- Governors scramble to speed vaccine effort after slow start [https://whdh.com/news/governors-scramble-to-speed-vaccine-effort-after-slow-start-2/]
- RI governor says supply still a problem for state vaccination efforts [https://whdh.com/news/ri-governor-says-supply-still-a-problem-for-state-vaccination-efforts/]
- COVID-19 In New Jersey: Police, Firefighters Eligible For Vaccine, Gov. Phil Murphy Says [https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/01/06/covid19-coronavirus-vaccine-new-jersey-firefighters-police-phil-murphy/]
- Opinion: Micromanagement is impeding rollout of COVID vaccines [https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/06/opinion-micromanagement-is-plaguing-the-vaccine-rollout/]
- LA Fire Department Vaccinates 48% Of Its Employees; Aims For 100% Vaccination [https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/01/06/la-fire-department-vaccinates-48-percent-employees-aims-100-percent-vaccination/]
- What’s the scientific basis for delaying the Covid vaccine second dose? [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/06/whats-the-scientific-basis-for-delaying-the-covid-vaccine-second-dose]
- 17.3 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines distributed, 5.3 million administered: U.S. CDC [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-cdc/17-3-million-doses-of-covid-19-vaccines-distributed-5-3-million-administered-u-s-cdc-idUSKBN29B2N0]
- 1 in 100,000 had severe reactions to Pfizer vaccine: US study [https://www.rfi.fr/en/1-in-100-000-had-severe-reactions-to-pfizer-vaccine-us-study]
- Second doses have begun for the earliest U.S. vaccine recipients. [https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/us/second-doses-have-begun-for-the-earliest-us-vaccine-recipients.html]
- Vaccinating 300 million people: How India plans to roll-out vast Covid-19 vaccine drive [https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20210106-vaccinating-300-million-people-how-india-plans-to-roll-out-vast-covid-19-vaccine-drive]
- Second dry run of Covid vaccine at 2 Delhi hospitals [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/national/second-dry-run-of-covid-vaccine-at-2-delhi-hospitals-665677]
- Government ministers to be publicly vaccinated on Thursday [https://glashrvatske.hrt.hr/en/news/politics/government-ministers-to-be-publicly-vaccinated-on-thursday/]
- U.S. to send COVID-19 vaccine to pharmacies in hopes of speeding shots [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106175446-h568i]
- South African medical schemes to fund COVID-19 vaccines for 30% of adults [https://www.sharenet.co.za/views/views-article.php?views-article=557568]
- U.S. passes 21 mln COVID-19 cases with record hospitalizations as states ramp up vaccination efforts [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106175246-eqc46]
- Canadian care home residents challenge delay of second COVID-19 vaccine shot [https://news.trust.org/item/20210106175747-4t12h]
- Who gets the vaccine first in T&T? [https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/who-gets-the-vaccine-first-in-t-t/article_358ed27c-5041-11eb-bfd9-0fab3d159030.html]
- Call for Govt to publish vaccination strategy [http://www.gibraltarpanorama.gi/174238]
- Q&A: How is the COVID vaccine rollout unfolding around the world? [https://www.timesofisrael.com/qa-how-is-the-covid-vaccine-rollout-unfolding-around-the-world/]
- Illinois COVID-19 deaths surpass 17,000 [https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210106/illinois-covid-19-deaths-surpass-17000]
- County-by-county breakdown on COVID-19 vaccine distributions [https://abc13.com/health/county-by-county-breakdown-on-covid-19-vaccine-distributions/9410168/]