(Seychelles News Agency) – Seychelles is expected to roll out its COVID-19 vaccination plan this week, a health official said, even as cases of the virus continue to increase and spread to other islands of the archipelago.
The second- and third-most populated islands of Praslin and La Digue recorded their first cases of infections and suspected cases in the local community in the last several days.
As the population braces itself to possibley face more cases, the Public Health Commissioner confirmed in a press conference on Monday that it had received communication from the World Health Organisation (WHO) in regards to the SINNOPHARM anti-COVID-19 vaccine the country received as a donation from the United Arabs Emirates (UAE). The 50,000 doses arrived in the island nation late last month.
Jude Gedeon told the meeting that the health authorities were meeting to finalise their roll-out of the vaccination process. Gedeon warned though that “the effects of taking the vaccine will only be after the second dose has been taken,” meaning it takes three to six weeks after the first dose of the vaccine for it to become effective.
Health professionals will take the vaccine first, but the head of state, President Wavel Ramkalawan, has said he would lead by example and become the first to take the vaccine in Seychelles – 115 islands in the western Indian Ocean.
Gedeon stressed that the surest method of protection against the pandemic remains following guidelines such as wearing masks, observing good hygiene and social distancing. “We each have to protect ourselves. This is the way we can break the chain of transmission and bring this pandemic under control in our country!” he reiterated.
However, the doctor could not estimate how many other positive cases can be expected, although he said that there will be more, nor could he say at what number the infection rate would peak at and when.
As of at 3 p.m. January 4, there were 98 confirmed active cases of COVID-19 in Seychelles, of whom 58 are Seychellois and six health care workers. Since the first case in a cluster of community transmissions broke out last week, Seychelles has been experiencing a daily rate of around 12 new cases. The island nation also saw its first death from the virus on Sunday, a 57-year-old Seychellois.
Despite a sudden surge in the number of COVID19 positive cases among the Seychelles’ native population on the main island, Mahe and the third biggest island of Silhouette, other inner islands had remained relatively unscathed.
This ended Monday when Praslin recorded six cases with another three awaiting confirmation. La Digue Island was also waiting for the confirmation of suspected cases.
- Pressure on for SA government to push Covid-19 vaccine programme [https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/pressure-on-for-sa-government-to-push-covid-19-vaccine-programme-d4aeedbb-7182-46cf-aaca-0935c681cb4a]
- Germany set to extend hard lockdown as daily deaths mount [https://apnews.com/article/europe-angela-merkel-coronavirus-pandemic-germany-coronavirus-vaccine-2db8eec7d36fbfc562a3b07811c8a3f4]
- Belgium starts large-scale coronavirus vaccination campaign [https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/health/148163/belgium-starts-large-scale-coronavirus-vaccination-campaign-pfizer-biontech-official-vaccine-rollout-health-minister-frank-vandenbroucke-european-medicines-agency-ema-moderna-commission/]
- Italy vaccinates over 151,000 people against COVID-19 [https://news.az/news/italy-vaccinates-over-151000-people-against-covid-19]
- Coronavirus updates: Oregon to administer 12K vaccine doses daily by Jan. 15; Mexico approves AstraZeneca vaccine; 353K US deaths [https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/05/covid-news-oregon-vaccine-mexico-astrazeneca-mask-protests/4133822001/]
- Five Cases of Adverse Reactions Reported after First Vaccinations in Bulgaria [https://www.novinite.com/articles/207434/Five+Cases+of+Adverse+Reactions+Reported+after+First+Vaccinations+in+Bulgaria]
- Bulgarian Doctor: Immunity Starts 1 Week after the Vaccination [https://www.novinite.com/articles/207433/Bulgarian+Doctor%3A+Immunity+Starts+1+Week+after+the+Vaccination]
- Brazil diplomatic push to guarantee shipment of India made AstraZeneca vaccine Top Comments [https://en.mercopress.com/2021/01/05/brazil-diplomatic-push-to-guarantee-shipment-of-india-made-astrazeneca-vaccine?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=rss&utm_content=main&utm_campaign=rss]
- France promises faster vaccine rollout after criticism [https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2021/01/france-promises-faster-vaccine-rollout-after-criticism/]
- Covid Vaccines’ Speedy Distribution Major Challenge For World: WHO Experts [https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/covid-19-vaccines-speedy-distribution-major-challenge-for-world-who-experts-2347916]
- France promises faster vaccine rollout after criticism [https://www.rfi.fr/en/france-promises-faster-vaccine-rollout-after-criticism]
- 7 COVID vaccine candidates in running as India gears up for vaccination drive [https://pragativadi.com/7-covid-vaccine-candidates-in-running-as-india-gears-up-for-vaccination-drive/]
- Speedy distribution of Covid vaccine big challenge for govts globally: WHO [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/speedy-distribution-of-covid-vaccine-big-challenge-for-govts-globally-who-121010500533_1.html]
- More than 50K register for Covid-19 vaccine in Manila [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1126374]
- COVID-19 vaccines don’t belong to any political party: Omar Abdullah [http://www.kashmirtimes.com/newsdet.aspx?q=107003]
- DGHS finalises draft of Covid vaccination policy DGHS finalises draft of Covid vaccination policy [https://tbsnews.net/bangladesh/health/dghs-finalises-draft-covid-vaccination-policy-180997]
- Indonesia to commence symbolic COVID-19 vaccination on Jan 13 [https://en.antaranews.com/news/164972/indonesia-to-commence-symbolic-covid-19-vaccination-on-jan-13]
- Covid-19: As China vaccinates, makers say jab works against mutations [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/05/covid-19-as-china-vaccinates-makers-say-jab-works-against-mutations/1937498]
- India’s Vaccine Approvals Had One Problem. It Gave Rise To the Other Two. [https://thewire.in/health/indias-vaccine-approvals-had-one-problem-it-gave-rise-to-the-other-two]
- Majority of Covid-19 vaccines in US left unused [https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0105/1187705-global-virus-latest/]
- Daily infections surge past 8,300, with 7.6% of COVID tests positive [https://www.timesofisrael.com/daily-infections-surge-past-8300-with-7-6-of-covid-tests-positive/]
- Australia vows not to rush vaccine rollout, citing UK ‘problems’ [https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2021/01/australia-vows-not-to-rush-vaccine-rollout-citing-uk-problems/]
- UK locks down over virus surge despite new vaccine rollout [https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/uk-locks-down-over-virus-surge-despite-new-vaccine-rollout/]
- Covid-19: NFP to go to court in bid to legalise Ivermectin [https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/covid-19-nfp-to-go-to-court-in-bid-to-legalise-ivermectin-00453644-0d09-4a40-ac7d-6b49f5bda1ee]
- Mozambique: Health Minister hopes Covid-19 vaccines will arrive in May/June – AIM report [https://clubofmozambique.com/news/mozambique-health-minister-hopes-covid-19-vaccines-will-arrive-in-mayjune-aim-report-181183/]
- Israel authorises use of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine [https://bdnews24.com/world/2021/01/05/israel-authorises-use-of-moderna-s-covid-19-vaccine]
- COVID: Napa Co. Seeks Volunteers To Implement Plan To Turn Fairgrounds Into Mass Vaccination Site [https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/01/04/covid-napa-co-seeks-volunteers-to-implement-plan-to-turn-fairgrounds-into-mass-vaccination-site/]
- “Premature” To Change Authorized Covid Vaccines Dosing, Schedules: US Drug Regulator [https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/premature-to-change-authorized-covid-vaccines-dosing-schedules-us-drug-regulator-2347872]
- Richmond woman has lost 9 family members to COVID-19 amid nation’s slow vaccine rollout [https://abc7news.com/society/woman-who-lost-9-family-members-to-covid-questions-vaccine-rollout/9364893/]
- The Latest: Moderna says Israel approved its virus vaccine [https://wtop.com/asia/2021/01/the-latest-thailand-ups-restrictions-amid-virus-outbreak/]
- Covid-19: Curve is flattening [https://glashrvatske.hrt.hr/en/news/domestic/covid-19-curve-is-flattening/]
- UK first to roll out AstraZeneca shots in race to stem COVID surge [http://www.parikiaki.com/2021/01/uk-first-to-roll-out-astrazeneca-shots-in-race-to-stem-covid-surge/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=uk-first-to-roll-out-astrazeneca-shots-in-race-to-stem-covid-surge]
- U.S. COVID-19 cases surpass 20 million as deaths mount [http://www.parikiaki.com/2021/01/u-s-covid-19-cases-surpass-20-million-as-deaths-mount/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=u-s-covid-19-cases-surpass-20-million-as-deaths-mount]
- President Jokowi to Receive First Dose of Covid-19 Vaccine Next Week [https://en.tempo.co/read/1420286/president-jokowi-to-receive-first-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-next-week]
- Sinovac Vaccine Clinical Trial Report Completed on January 8 [https://en.tempo.co/read/1420281/sinovac-vaccine-clinical-trial-report-completed-on-january-8]
- Great effort made to get vaccines for Lao people: Health Minister [https://laotribune.com/great-effort-made-to-get-vaccines-for-lao-people-health-minister/]
- COVID-19 Vaccine To Be Rolled Out to the General Public in May – Chris Fearne Latest: Bay Way Hoodie (Unisex) Read more: [https://bay.com.mt/covid-19-vaccine-to-be-rolled-out-to-the-general-public-in-may-chris-fearne/]
- ‘Vaccine arriving by end of Jan’ [https://dailyasianage.com/news/251592/vaccine-arriving–by-end-of-jan]
- The Latest: Thailand ups restrictions amid virus outbreak [https://apnews.com/article/travel-pandemics-coronavirus-vaccine-migrant-workers-coronavirus-pandemic-dd7f8a1f34951b2c7af86dd54b80e0db]
- President Jokowi set for first COVID-19 vaccine jab on Jan. 13 ahead of national rollout: Health Ministry [https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/president-jokowi-set-for-first-covid-19-vaccine-jab-on-jan-13-ahead-of-national-rollout-health-ministry/]