Moderna, Inc., a biotechnology company pioneering messenger RNA (mRNA) therapeutics and vaccines, today announced that Israel’s Ministry of Health (MOH) has given authorization to import the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna in Israel, AP reports.
“Today’s authorization is a landmark moment in our company’s history and in the global fight against COVID-19,” said Stéphane Bancel, Chief Executive Officer of Moderna. “This is the third regulatory authorization for the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna, and its first outside of North America. I want to thank the Ministry of Health of Israel for their efforts, as their team have worked tirelessly alongside ours to ensure a timely authorization of this vaccine. We hope to continue to see authorizations in additional markets in the coming days, weeks and months.”
The MOH has secured 6 million doses of the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna. Planned deliveries reflect today’s authorization to supply the vaccine in Israel, and first deliveries are expected to begin shortly.
Israel is the third country for which Moderna has received authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine, following the United States on December 18, 2020 and Canada on December 23, 2020. Additional authorizations are currently under review in the European Union, Singapore, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
The authorization is given according to Regulation 29 (A)(9): Medical product designated for pharmaceutical treatment of local citizens in case of epidemic or contagious disease or protection from chemical or radioactive substances, according to Regulation 29 of the Pharmacists’ Regulations (Medical preparations) – 1986.
The decision from the MOH is based on a rolling submission of data and is based on the totality of scientific evidence shared by the Company, including a data analysis from the pivotal Phase 3 clinical study announced on November 30.
- China vaccinating key groups against COVID-19 [http://www.newsgd.com/news/2021-01/05/content_191940638.htm]
- Age cut-off for vaccine prioritization lowered [https://www.pncguam.com/age-cut-off-for-vaccine-prioritization-lowered/]
- Mexico approves AstraZeneca vaccine for emergency use [https://report.az/en/other-countries/mexico-approves-astrazeneca-vaccine-for-emergency-use/]
- ‘Vaccines for emergency use’: A quick search to comprehend its meaning ‘Vaccines for emergency use’: A quick search to comprehend its meaning [https://tbsnews.net/feature/panorama/vaccines-emergency-use-quick-search-comprehend-its-meaning-180994]
- Bangladesh approves Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine Bangladesh approves Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine [https://tbsnews.net/bangladesh/govt-approves-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-emergency-use-180796]
- European Medicines Agency postpones decision on Moderna vaccine [https://www.bna.bh/en/EuropeanMedicinesAgencypostponesdecisiononModernavaccine.aspx?cms=q8FmFJgiscL2fwIzON1%2bDs%2flNQ3G7Yhret4pm3yHYns%3d]
- No evidence current COVID-19 vaccines less effective against UK strain: Gan Kim Yong [https://www.intellasia.net/no-evidence-current-covid-19-vaccines-less-effective-against-uk-strain-gan-kim-yong-851054]
- Great effort made to get vaccines for Lao people: Health Minister [https://www.laopdrnewsgazette.com/great-effort-made-to-get-vaccines-for-lao-people-health-minister/]
- Jakarta Receives 39,200 Covid-19 Vaccine Vials [https://en.tempo.co/read/1420264/jakarta-receives-39200-covid-19-vaccine-vials]
- Western Cape prepares for another Covid-19 peak [https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/western-cape-prepares-for-another-covid-19-peak–7a70e92a-6e41-41b3-b4f0-1382b7d348cb]
- Inovio to begin late-stage Covid-19 vaccine study in second quarter [https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/01/05/inovio-to-begin-late-stage-covid-19-vaccine/]
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination drive under way in Beijing [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/5/beijing-starts-mass-covid-19-vaccination-drive]
- No EU decision on Moderna COVID-19 vaccine as blame game mounts [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/no-eu-decision-on-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-as-blame-game-mounts-13892854]
- US FDA weighs in on COVID-19 vaccine dosing debate [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/us-fda-weighs-in-on-covid-19-vaccine-dosing-debate-13895046]
- EXPLAINER: Vaccine dosing debates add to public confusion [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/explainer-vaccine-dosing-debates-add-to-public-confusion]
- Coronavirus in Tajikistan: No new COVID-19 cases reported yesterday [https://asiaplustj.info/en/news/tajikistan/society/20210105/coronavirus-in-tajikistan-no-new-covid-19-cases-reported-yesterday]
- Mexico approves AstraZeneca/Oxford coronavirus vaccine [https://manilastandard.net/news/coronavirus-2019/343641/mexico-approves-astrazeneca-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine.html]
- COVID-19 vaccine allowed for use only if HSA assesses it to be ‘sufficiently efficacious and safe’: Gan Kim Yong [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-vaccine-singapore-hsa-safe-effective-13890122]
- Israel’s Health Ministry approves Moderna vaccine [https://report.az/en/other-countries/moderna-said-israel-had-secured-a-total-of-6-million-doses-of-the-vaccine-enough-to-inoculate-3-million-people/]
- Vaccinating population against COVID-19 requires ‘considerable resources’, to be key focus in 2021: Gan Kim Yong [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-vaccination-bookings-gan-kim-yong-parliament-13890030]
- COVID-19 vaccinations underway in Shandong, China [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267441714/covid-19-vaccinations-underway-in-shandong-china]
- POLL | Will you get the Covid-19 vaccine when it reaches SA? [https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2021-01-05-poll-will-you-get-the-covid-19-vaccine-when-it-reaches-sa/]
- Allowing choice of COVID-19 vaccines an unnecessary complication: Gan [https://www.intellasia.net/allowing-choice-of-covid-19-vaccines-an-unnecessary-complication-gan-851053]
- Covid-19 vaccines ‘sufficiently’ effective and safe; Singapore govt to provide financial support if recipients suffer adverse side-effects [https://www.intellasia.net/covid-19-vaccines-sufficiently-effective-and-safe-singapore-govt-to-provide-financial-support-if-recipients-suffer-adverse-side-effects-851052]
- Enough vaccines secured for all Singaporeans, PRs and long-term residents, who can get it for free, says minister [https://www.intellasia.net/enough-vaccines-secured-for-all-singaporeans-prs-and-long-term-residents-who-can-get-it-for-free-says-minister-851051]
- Private clinics in Penang to offer free Covid-19 vaccination services [https://www.intellasia.net/private-clinics-in-penang-to-offer-free-covid-19-vaccination-services-851049]