FORT BEND COUNTY, Texas (KTRK) — Fort Bend County Judge KP George, alongside the Fort Bend Health and Human Services director, announced while the county has not received doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, they are expected to be in soon.
As of today, he said there are about 8,600 active cases. Two months ago, their active cases were about 800.
“Our COVID-19 numbers are going up at an alarming rate,” George said.
Dr. Jacquelyn Minter, the director at Health and Human Services, said its first doses of the vaccine will be distributed to frontline health care workers and those who are most at risk.
“We’re excited to be able to join hospitals, pharmacies and other community partners to provide protection to our residents from this virus that causes COVID-19,” said Dr. Minter. “If you are in those groups, we are asking you to roll up your sleeves and participate in this response that will allow us to safely congregate the way we desire. If you are not in this group, we ask for your patience as more vaccine is being distributed. Your time will come.”
Judge George said once the vaccines are in, people will be able to register to get them. They will be then contacted by Health and Human Services staff for details on the vaccine distribution location and time.
The county is not yet sure how many doses of the vaccine it will be getting.
In Harris County, the first free public COVID-19 vaccine clinic just opened Saturday, and was quickly overwhelmed with people looking to make an appointment.
Last Saturday alone, at least 1,000 people received a COVID-19 vaccination, according to the Houston Health Department. On Sunday, 986 people were vaccinated, according to Mayor Turner.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said he will get his first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine on Monday.
SEE RELATED STORY: Mayor Turner to get first dose of Moderna vaccine Report a correction or typo Related topics:
health & fitnessfort bend countyhealthvaccinescoronaviruscovid 19 vaccinecovid 19 Share: Share Tweet Email Copyright © 2021 KTRK-TV. All Rights Reserved.
- After Slow Start To Vaccine Rollout, De Blasio Says “Now It’s Time To Sprint” [https://gothamist.com/news/after-slow-start-vaccine-rollout-de-blasio-says-now-its-time-sprint]
- Concern among Muslims over halal status of COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/concern-among-muslims-over-halal-status-of-covid-19-vaccine-1.5253917]
- Britain shuts schools as Germany braces for extended lockdown [https://www.rfi.fr/en/britain-shuts-schools-as-germany-braces-for-extended-lockdown]
- Vaccine firms Bharat Biotech, Serum Institute patch up after war of words [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/vaccine-firms-bharat-biotech-serum-institute-patch-up-after-war-of-words-121010500995_1.html]
- Refrain from unwarranted criticism of scientists: K’taka Minister [https://www.siasat.com/refrain-from-unwarranted-criticism-of-scientists-ktaka-minister-2061069/]
- Covid-19: About 15,000 people in the Czech Republic vaccinated so far [https://english.radio.cz/covid-19-about-15000-people-czech-republic-vaccinated-so-far-8704578]
- How many people need to get a COVID-19 vaccine in order to stop the coronavirus? [https://theconversation.com/how-many-people-need-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-in-order-to-stop-the-coronavirus-152071]
- Residents, citizens hail Dubai’s free vaccination drive [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/residents-citizens-hail-dubais-free-vaccination-drive]
- Mexico grants emergency approval for second coronavirus vaccine [https://www.gna.org.gh/1.19550807]
- GLOBALink | China-developed COVID-19 vaccines safe, effective: officials [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267445127/globalink–china-developed-covid-19-vaccines-safe-effective-officials]
- Watch | ‘Won’t Take Covaxin Until Efficacy Data Is Made Public’: Gagandeep Kang [https://thewire.in/government/watch-karan-thapar-gagandeep-kang-bharat-biotech-covaxin-astrazeneca-approval-covid]
- Fort Bend Co. has 10 times more active cases than a few months ago [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/05/dame-esther-rantzen-so-glad-her-second-vaccine-shot-will-go-to-someone-else/]
- India Bars Virus Vaccine Maker from Exporting Doses India Bars Virus Vaccine Maker from Exporting Doses [https://www.laopdrnewsgazette.com/india-bars-virus-vaccine-maker-from-exporting-doses/]
- So far one fourth of persons for whom vaccines are available, have been vaccinated [https://leta.lv/eng/home/important/3EBB3BB4-4FFB-453C-9190-4D9903DC8CF1/]
- Provide more vaccine info or we’ll see you in court, IRR warns Zweli Mkhize [https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2021-01-05-provide-more-vaccine-info-or-well-see-you-in-court-irr-warns-zweli-mkhize/]
- Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout rate lagging behind US [https://nypost.com/2021/01/05/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-rate-in-canada-is-lagging-behind-us/]
- India Bars Virus Vaccine Maker from Exporting Doses India Bars Virus Vaccine Maker from Exporting Doses India Bars Virus Vaccine Maker from Exporting Doses [https://mozambiquetribune.com/india-bars-virus-vaccine-maker-from-exporting-doses/]
- Covid: What is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine? [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55302595]
- Coronavirus in Illinois updates: Here’s what’s happening Tuesday with COVID-19 in the Chicago area 6:55 a.m.: State officials warn of COVID-19 vaccine scams [https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-covid-19-pandemic-chicago-illinois-news-20210105-bggma7d4lrfjfln3tobywvoe3i-story.html]
- FDA says half-dosing Moderna COVID-19 vaccine ‘risks public health,’ lacks data [https://www.foxnews.com/health/fda-half-dosing-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-risks]
- COVID In Philadelphia: Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley ‘Concerned’ Over Coronavirus Increases Related To Holiday Gatherings [https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/01/05/covid-in-philadelphia-health-commissioner-dr-thomas-farley-concerned-over-coronavirus-increases-related-to-christmas-holiday/]
- Covid vaccine: When will you be eligible? [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639]
- COVID-19: How will India vaccinate nearly one billion people? [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/5/covid-19-how-will-india-vaccine-nearly-1-billion-people]
- Indonesia to start mass COVID vaccination drive on January 13 [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/5/indonesia-to-start-mass-covid-vaccination-drive-next-week]
- Germany set to extend hard lockdown as daily deaths mount [https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jan/5/germany-set-to-extend-hard-lockdown-as-daily-death/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS]
- Lanka to finalise agreement to secure Covid-19 vaccine through Covax [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/lanka-to-finalise-agreement-to-secure-covid-19-vaccine-through-covax-121010500852_1.html]
- Ready to roll out vaccine within 10 days from approval date: Health Ministry [https://www.siasat.com/ready-to-roll-out-vaccine-within-10-days-from-approval-date-health-ministry-2060988/]
- SII, Bharat Biotech bury the hatchet [https://morungexpress.com/sii-bharat-biotech-bury-the-hatchet]
- Ready to roll out vaccine within 10 days from approval date: Health Ministry [https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/india/ready-to-roll-out-vaccine-within-10-days-from-approval-date-health-ministry-1.5333586]
- Bharat Biotech, Serum Institute pledge for smooth rollout of COVID-19 vaccines [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/bharat-biotech-serum-institute-pledge-for-smooth-rollout-of-covid-19-vaccines]
- San Juan ramps up city-wide Covid-19 vaccination plan [https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1126463]
- In just one day, India’s vaccine somehow gained approval to fight the new coronavirus strain [https://qz.com/india/1952503/can-indias-covaxin-protect-against-the-new-coronavirus-strain/]
- How Vietnam developed a second Covid-19 vaccine in half a year [https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/how-vietnam-developed-a-second-covid-19-vaccine-in-half-a-year-4216451.html]