Thailand will receive its first Covid-19 vaccines in February from China’s Sinovac Biotech. — Reuters pic
BANGKOK, Jan 4 — Thailand will receive its first Covid-19 vaccines in February from China’s Sinovac Biotech and will have the capacity to produce 200 million doses a year locally of the AstraZeneca vaccine, senior officials said.
Thailand, which is aiming to inoculate at least half of its 70 million population, should take delivery of 200,000 doses of the Sinovac vaccine by February, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said today.
It has ordered two million doses from Sinovac in total.
“I have given the direction on the vaccine and expect that within one to two months we will receive the first lot for medical professionals for about 200,000 doses,” Prayut said, according to a Twitter posting by his office.
The South-east Asian country reported its largest single-day increase in infections with 745 cases today, with Prayut urging people to stay home to limit the spread and avoid the need for a strict nationwide lockdown.
Another 800,000 doses of the Sinovac vaccine will arrive by March and one million in April, Supakit Sirilak, Director-General of Medical Science Department, said yesterday.
Thailand in November signed an agreement for 26 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which will be produced by local firm, Siam Bioscience, with its first batch to be ready by May, Supakit said.
The vaccines produced locally will be submitted for approval with Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) by April, said Siam Bioscience managing director Songpon Deechongkit.
The firm will be able to produce 200 million doses per year, for sale domestically and in the region, Songpon said.
The private sector is welcome to participate in vaccine production and distribution, if registered with the Thai FDA, Supakit said. — Reuters
- Why Indonesia is vaccinating its working population first, not elderly [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/04/why-indonesia-is-vaccinating-its-working-population-first-not-elderly/1937155]
- SA To Start Administer Covid-19 Vaccine Next Month [https://www.faceofmalawi.com/2021/01/04/sa-to-start-administer-covid-19-vaccine-next-month/]
- Second shipment of 25,000 coronavirus vaccines arrives in Bulgaria [https://bnr.bg/en/post/101398617/second-shipment-of-25000-coronavirus-vaccines-arrives-in-bulgaria]
- Which countries have approved Oxford coronavirus vaccine? [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/which-countries-have-approved-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine]
- Chinese CoronaVac remains promising in global vaccine race Chinese CoronaVac remains promising in global vaccine race [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/chinese-coronavac-remains-promising-global-vaccine-race-180574]
- US may cut some Moderna vaccine doses in half to speed rollout [https://report.az/en/other-countries/us-may-cut-some-moderna-vaccine-doses-in-half-to-speed-rollout/]
- US may cut some Moderna vaccine doses in half to speed rollout, official says [https://bdnews24.com/world/americas/2021/01/04/us-may-cut-some-moderna-vaccine-doses-in-half-to-speed-rollout-official-says]
- Sinovac’s 13,000 vaccine doses to arrive in East Nusa Tenggara [https://en.antaranews.com/news/164880/sinovacs-13000-vaccine-doses-to-arrive-in-east-nusa-tenggara]
- South Africa hopes to begin virus vaccinations February [https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/south-africa-hopes-to-begin-virus-vaccinations-february/]
- US officials reject Trump claims on COVID-19 toll, defend vaccine rollout [https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/01/us-officials-reject-trump-claims-on-covid-19-toll-defend-vaccine-rollout/]
- ‘There is a lot of fighting behind the scenes’: Zweli Mkhize on race to secure Covid-19 vaccines [https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2021-01-04-there-is-a-lot-of-fighting-behind-the-scenes-zweli-mkhize-on-race-to-secure-covid-19-vaccines/]
- IN QUOTES | Zweli Mkhize says expedition and delivery of vaccine are ‘top priorities’ [https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2021-01-04-in-quotes–zweli-mkhize-says-expedition-and-delivery-of-vaccine-are-top-priorities/]
- Vietnam says to buy AstraZeneca vaccine, in talks with other producers [http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14080948]
- As rollout falters, scientists debate new vaccination tactics [https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/04/world/science-health-world/coronavirus-vaccination-tactics/]
- South Africa hopes to get virus vaccines next month [http://ghheadlines.com/agency/citifm/20210104/142468011/south-africa-hopes-to-get-virus-vaccines-next-month]
- Vietnam says to buy AstraZeneca vaccine, in talks with other producers [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/04/vietnam-says-to-buy-astrazeneca-vaccine-in-talks-with-other-producers/1937133]
- US officials reject Trump claims on toll, defend vaccine rollout [https://themalaysianreserve.com/2021/01/04/us-officials-reject-trump-claims-on-toll-defend-vaccine-rollout/]
- Beijing vaccinates thousands in Covid-19 jab drive [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/04/beijing-vaccinates-thousands-in-covid-19-jab-drive/1937130]
- Covid-19 Vaccine; Expert Wary about Govt’s High Expectations [https://en.tempo.co/read/1419952/covid-19-vaccine-expert-wary-about-govts-high-expectations]
- Mosti: Covid-19 vaccine safe, no long-term side effects [https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2021/01/04/mosti-covid-19-vaccine-safe-no-long-term-side-effects/1937129]
- Beijing vaccinates thousands in Covid-19 jab drive [https://manilastandard.net/news/coronavirus-2019/343555/beijing-vaccinates-thousands-in-covid-19-jab-drive.html]
- Can Australians get an approved coronavirus vaccination before March? It will be up to the drug companies [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-04/covid-coronavirus-vaccine-australia-rollout-march/13030064]
- Govt aiming to vaccinate 67% of SA for Covid-19, says Mkhize [https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/govt-aiming-to-vaccinate-67-of-sa-for-covid-19-says-mkhize-f7f92edf-b0a9-49b0-8487-60c3aefd9dfb]
- COVID-19: Govt expects vaccine by February [https://www.enca.com/news/covid-19-govt-expects-vaccine-february]