State Housing, Local Government, Town and Country Planning Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said the state government and PMPS reached the agreement as preliminary preparations to increase capacity and expedite vaccinations after the vaccine arrives in Malaysia. — Picture by Sayuti Zainudin
GEORGE TOWN, Jan 4 — About 100 private clinics under the Penang Medical Practitioners’ Society (PMPS) are ready to offer free Covid-19 vaccination services to the people in Penang.
State Housing, Local Government, Town and Country Planning Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said the state government and PMPS reached the agreement as preliminary preparations to increase capacity and expedite vaccinations after the vaccine arrives in Malaysia.
He said the vaccines will be distributed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) to each state which will later distribute it to hospitals, as well as public and selected private clinics to provide vaccinations to the Penang residents.
“So far, 100 private clinics have agreed to provide free vaccination services to the entire population of Penang. I understand that 50 clinics in Seberang Perai, as well as 50 clinics on the island, have agreed to help the MOH increase the capacity of the vaccination process.
“We are looking at the issue of whether the existing clinics are capable of accommodating such capacity. What will happen when the vaccine arrives? We have 1.8 million people who need to be vaccinated. Can you imagine what is going to happen?” he said to reporters here today. The Covid-19 vaccine is expected to arrive in Malaysia next month.
Speaking on the question of capacity, Jagdeep said the federal government should increase the number of panel clinics that do Covid-19 screenings for foreign workers due to concerns of the spread of Covid-19.
He said that recently the Social Security Organisation (Socso) revealed that only 8.5 per cent of foreign workers in the country had been screened. He described this figure as too small.
“So far, the government has allowed 3,000 screenings per day in each state. For me, the capacity can be increased so that we can do screenings and take quick action,” he said.
He added that in Penang, only 51 clinics were authorised to conduct Covid-19 screening tests on a total of 180,000 foreign workers there. — Bernama
- Indonesia says to start Covid-19 vaccinations programme next week [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/04/indonesia-says-to-start-covid-19-vaccinations-programme-next-week/1937192]
- Dr Kon on how long will we wear the masks; “There will probably be some consequences” [https://www.b92.net/eng/news/society.php?yyyy=2021&mm=01&dd=04&nav_id=110082]
- Can I choose which Covid-19 vaccine to take? 7 questions about Singapore’s vaccination strategy answered [https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/can-i-choose-which-covid-19-vaccine-to-take-7-questions-about-singapores]
- Bali to receive first batch of COVID-19 vaccines today [https://coconuts.co/bali/news/bali-to-receive-first-batch-of-covid-19-vaccines-today/]
- UK starts rollout of AstraZeneca vaccine [https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/health/148010/uk-starts-astrazeneca-vaccine-rollout-university-oxford-health-secretary-matt-hancock-pandemic-mhra-pfizer-biontech-european-medicines-agency-ema/]
- Coronavirus vaccine: Beijing responds to claims Japanese were given unapproved Sinopharm jabs’ [https://www.intellasia.net/coronavirus-vaccine-beijing-responds-to-claims-japanese-were-given-unapproved-sinopharm-jabs-850547]
- French government pressured to quicken vaccinations [https://asiatimes.com/2021/01/french-government-pressured-to-quicken-vaccinations/]
- SII: No bar on vaccine export [https://www.dhakatribune.com/world/south-asia/2021/01/04/sii-no-bar-on-vaccine-export]
- Latvia receives another 13,650 Comirnaty vaccines [https://leta.lv/eng/home/important/5FA19FFD-B8DD-4034-9984-D7413CFBCE7B/]
- Top Bulgarian Medic: New Peak of Infections Coming Mid-January [https://www.novinite.com/articles/207415/Top+Bulgarian+Medic%3A+New+Peak+of+Infections+Coming+Mid-January]
- South Korea reviews AstraZeneca vaccine and expands ban on gatherings [https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/04/asia-pacific/south-korea-astrazeneca-vaccine-coronavirus/]
- Local production of AstraZeneca vaccine kicks off, Thailand signs up for 2 million doses from Chinese firm [https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400664?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral]
- EXPLAINER | Why Indonesia is vaccinating its working population first, not the elderly [https://www.news24.com/news24/World/News/explainer-why-indonesia-is-vaccinating-its-working-population-first-not-the-elderly-20210104]
- Indonesia says to start COVID-19 vaccinations programme next week [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-vaccine/indonesia-says-to-start-covid-19-vaccinations-programme-next-week-idUSKBN2990VJ]
- Fauci rejects Trump claim that US coronavirus deaths are overcounted [https://news.am/eng/news/622094.html]
- Ghana’s Covid-19 vaccine consignment to be in latest by June [http://ghheadlines.com/agency/3news/20210104/142471579/ghanas-covid-19-vaccine-consignment-to-be-in-latest-by-june]
- Vietnam seeks to buy 30 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine from UK [https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-seeks-to-buy-30-million-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine-from-uk-4215939.html]
- India Coronavirus Dispatch: Those already infected may still need shots [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-coronavirus-dispatch-those-already-infected-may-still-need-shots-121010400565_1.html]
- World Coronavirus Dispatch: No vaccines for Palestinians in Israel [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/world-coronavirus-dispatch-no-vaccines-for-palestinians-in-israel-121010400553_1.html]
- Yet to receive licence to export Covishield: SII [https://www.siasat.com/yet-to-receive-licence-to-export-covishield-sii-2060069/]
- Enough vaccines secured for all Singaporeans, PRs and long-term residents, who can get it for free, says minister [https://www.malaymail.com/news/singapore/2021/01/04/enough-vaccines-secured-for-all-singaporeans-prs-and-long-term-residents-wh/1937176]
- Faster distribution of Covid vaccine seen with passage of proposed bill [https://businessmirror.com.ph/2021/01/04/faster-distribution-of-covid-vaccine-seen-with-passage-of-proposed-bill/]
- Health Ministry: Macedonia to get 800,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, the first 5,850 to arrive in February [https://english.republika.mk/news/macedonia/health-ministry-macedonia-to-get-800000-doses-of-the-pfizer-vaccine-the-first-5850-to-arrive-in-february/]
- Indonesia aiming for herd immunity, prioritises working adults not elderly [https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0104/1187532-covid19-global/]
- PM Modi should take first shot of COVID-19 vaccine to reassure people, Bihar Cong leader [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210104/3685153.html]
- Islanders urged to help over-80s book vaccines [https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/01/04/islanders-urged-to-help-over-80s-book-vaccines/]
- Second COVID-19 vaccine shipment arrives in Latvia [https://bnn-news.com/second-covid-19-vaccine-shipment-arrives-in-latvia-220470]
- SOUTH AFRICA HOPES TO GET VIRUS VACCINES NEXT MONTH [https://zambia24.com/south-africa-hopes-to-get-virus-vaccines-next-month/]
- Mzwandile Masina’s Covid-19 plea — ‘Hospitals are full, our front line workers are overstretched’ [https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2021-01-04-mzwandile-masinas-covid-19-plea–hospitals-are-full-our-front-line-workers-are-overstretched/]
- Fears that vaccines may not work on S.African variant [https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/01/04/fears-that-vaccines-may-not-work-on-s-african-variant/]