BOSTON (CBS) – Dr. Mallika Marshall is answering your coronavirus-related medical questions. If you have a question for Dr. Mallika, email her or message her on Facebook or Twitter.
Dr. Mallika is offering her best advice, but as always, consult your personal doctor before making any decisions about your personal health.
Eileen writes, “I am scheduled to receive the vaccine. Do I need a COVID test beforehand? What would happen if someone got the vaccine not realizing they currently had COVID?”
You do not need a test before receiving the vaccine unless you are having symptoms of COVID-19. If you are feeling fine, it is safe to get the vaccine even if you have an asymptomatic infection.
Another viewer says she has had reactions to flu vaccines in the past and wonders if it is safe for her to get a COVID vaccine.
Yes. If you have had serious reactions to other vaccines, you can still get the coronavirus vaccine, but you will be monitored for a longer period of time after receiving it. Generally, 30 minutes rather than the standard 15 minutes.
Cynthia writes, “Has one vaccine over another been proven best for people 65 and older? I read seniors may need higher doses like flu vaccines.”
The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, which are the only ones currently available in the U.S., have triggered good immune responses in elderly patients with the standard two dose regimens. We’ll have to see how some of the other vaccines being studied fare when it comes to people over 65.
Maureen writes, “Every time they show someone getting the coronavirus vaccine, I am amazed how long the needle looks. Is it longer than most needles for other shots?”
The vaccine needs to be deposited into the deltoid muscle of the upper arm so a 1 – 1 ½” needle is used depending on the size of the patient. This is the same recommended needle length for the flu vaccine.
Katie writes, “I was wondering why the nurses giving multiple vaccines do not have to change their gloves between patients?”
If gloves are worn, they should be changed between patients. In addition, those administering vaccines should also use hand sanitizer between patients whether they wear gloves or not.
Linda from Norfolk writes, “When my family is all vaccinated, will we be able to be with each other without masks and will it be safe to be with our small grandchildren?”
We still don’t know whether getting fully vaccinated will prevent you from getting infected and passing the virus on to someone else. We’ll have a better idea in the next few months. In the meantime, even if you get vaccinated, you should keep physical distance and wear masks when you’re around others who have not been vaccinated.
Mallika, you fraud,
Which butt cheek should I get the vaccine? The left or the right? You really need to be fired from ALL TV broadcasting, you fat, overweight, lying fraud. ALWAYS get a second opinion after reading this slob’s advice. Mallika Marshall has been a 15 year asymptomatic infection at WBZ television.
Read this from this overweight fraud, “We still don’t know whether getting fully vaccinated will prevent you from getting infected”. THEN WHY GET THIS FRIGGIN’ VACCINE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW IT WHETHER YOU CAN GET INFECTED OR NOT. GET OUT OF THE MEDICAL BUSINESS, MALLIKA, YOU FAT BLACK FRAUD!!
- Pennsylvania, New Jersey Pass 100,000 COVID Vaccinations But Differ On Plans To Roll Out Vaccine To More People [https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/01/04/pennsylvania-new-jersey-pass-100000-covid-vaccinations-but-differ-on-plans-to-roll-out-vaccine-to-more-people/]
- Federal officials debate halving vaccine doses to accelerate rollout [https://www.enmnews.com/2021/01/04/federal-officials-debate-halving-vaccine-doses-to-accelerate-rollout/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=federal-officials-debate-halving-vaccine-doses-to-accelerate-rollout]
- Macron crisis: French president condemned as France trails behind UK in people vaccinated [https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1379655/emmanuel-macron-crisis-france-coronavirus-vaccine-vaccinated?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-world-news+%28Express+%3A%3A+World+Feed%29]
- UK buckling as COVID-19 cases and deaths soar [https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2021/01/04/642281/UK-buckling-as-COVID-19-cases-and-deaths-soar]
- Newsom to propose $300 million for COVID vaccine distribution in California budget [https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Newsom-to-propose-300-million-for-COVID-vaccine-15845510.php]
- COVID Test Before Vaccine? Dr. Mallika Marshall Answers Your Coronavirus Questions [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/04/aim-for-14-million-to-receive-covid-jab-by-mid-february-under-pms-plans/]
- EXPLAINER: Vaccine dosing debates add to public confusion [https://apnews.com/article/europe-coronavirus-pandemic-coronavirus-vaccine-b9e3e910d0e0f0b696a7c7c278287be9]
- Vaccination of health workers starts tomorrow [https://www.b92.net/eng/news/society.php?yyyy=2021&mm=01&dd=04&nav_id=110091]
- EXPLAINER: Vaccine dosing debates add to public confusion [https://wtop.com/national/2021/01/explainer-vaccine-dosing-debates-add-to-public-confusion/]
- Houston Mayor Turner gets COVID-19 shot as ‘mega’ vaccine center in the works [https://abc13.com/health/mayor-gets-covid-19-shot-as-mega-vaccine-center-in-the-works/9328048/]
- Newsom says coronavirus vaccinations will speed up this month [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/04/newsom-says-coronavirus-vaccinations-will-speed-up-this-month/]
- Governor Promises to ‘Aggressively Accelerate’ Distribution of COVID-19 Vaccines [https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2021/01/04/governor-promises-to-aggressively-accelerate-distribution-of-covid-19-vaccines/]
- By The Numbers: NYC’s COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout So Far [https://citylimits.org/2021/01/04/by-the-numbers-nycs-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-so-far/]
- Vaccination campaign picks up speed around the world [https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/vaccination-campaign-picks-up-speed-around-the-world/]
- Vaccination campaign picks up speed around the world [https://whdh.com/news/vaccination-campaign-picks-up-speed-around-the-world-2/]
- Fauci: Vaccinations are increasing in a ‘glimmer of hope’ [https://www.foxnews.com/health/fauci-vaccinations-are-increasing-in-a-glimmer-of-hope]
- Centre readies deal for 6.6 cr Covid vaccine doses with Serum [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/national/centre-readies-deal-for-66-cr-covid-vaccine-doses-with-serum-665405]
- French-Jewish MP gets vaccine in Israel despite appearing not to meet criteria [https://www.timesofisrael.com/french-jewish-mp-gets-vaccine-in-israel-despite-appearing-not-to-meet-criteria/]
- Beijing, Shandong kick off mass vaccination for key groups [https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1211693.shtml]
- COVID Test Before Vaccine? Dr. Mallika Marshall Answers Your Coronavirus Questions [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/04/boris-johnsons-lockdown-announcement-in-full/]
- UK rolls out AstraZeneca vaccine [https://dailyasianage.com/news/251581/uk-rolls-out-astrazeneca-vaccine]
- UK becomes world’s first to roll out Oxford vaccine as cases surge [https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/uk-becomes-world-s-first-to-roll-out-oxford-vaccine-as-cases-surge-121010500062_1.html]
- DeSantis to hospitals: Use the COVID vaccines or lose them [https://wsvn.com/news/politics/desantis-to-hospitals-use-the-covid-vaccines-or-lose-them/]
- Pandemic: Johnson orders new shutdown rules for the UK [https://www.pe.com/2021/01/04/pandemic-johnson-orders-new-shutdown-rules-for-the-uk/]
- UK prime minister orders new national coronavirus lockdown [https://whdh.com/news/uk-prime-minister-orders-new-national-coronavirus-lockdown/]
- John Elway steps down as Broncos general manager, will remain to oversee football operations UK prime minister orders new virus lockdown for England [https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/04/uk-england-lockdown-boris-johnson/]