Hyderabad: Soon after Prime Minister Narendra Modi applauded the scientists for obtaining emergency use approval from Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) for indigenous vaccines against COVID-19 on Sunday, the developer of Covaxin, Bharat Biotech, a Hyderabad-based firm expressed its gratitude to him.
“Respected Sir, We are honoured! Thank you for your faith in our nation’s vaccine and constant motivation. We are much obliged to contribute to Aatmanirbhar Bharat,” tweeted Bharat Biotech.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated the country as DCGI granted emergency use approval to Serum Institute of India and Bharat Biotech for their COVID-19 vaccines on Sunday.
“A decisive turning point to strengthen a spirited fight! DCGI granting approval to vaccines of @SerumInstIndia and @BharatBiotech accelerates the road to a healthier and COVID-free nation. Congratulations India. Congratulations to our hardworking scientists and innovators,” Prime Minister Modi tweeted.
“It would make every Indian proud that the two vaccines that have been given emergency use approval are made in India! This shows the eagerness of our scientific community to fulfil the dream of an Aatmanirbhar Bharat, at the root of which is care and compassion,” he added.
Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Biotech Dr Krishna Ella said, “The approval of COVAXIN for emergency use is a giant leap for innovation and novel product development in India. It is a proud moment for the nation and a great milestone in India’s scientific capability, a kickstart to the innovation ecosystem in India.”
Ella further emphasised that their goal is to provide global access to the vaccine. “COVAXIN has generated excellent safety data with robust immune responses to multiple viral proteins that persist,” he added.
COVID-19 vaccines of Serum Institute of India and Bharat Biotech have been granted permission for restricted use in emergency situation, said Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) on Sunday.
“After adequate examination, CDSCO has decided to accept the recommendations of the Expert Committee and accordingly, vaccines of M/s Serum and M/s Bharat Biotech are being approved for restricted use in emergency situation and permission is being granted to M/s Cadila Healthcare for the conduct of the Phase III clinical trial,” said VG Somani, DCGI, during a media briefing.
- Indonesia begins COVID-19 vaccine distribution [https://www.vietmaz.com/2021/01/indonesia-begins-covid-19-vaccine-distribution/]
- Brazil health regulator approves import of 2 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine Top Comments [https://en.mercopress.com/2021/01/04/brazil-health-regulator-approves-import-of-2-million-doses-of-astrazeneca-vaccine?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=rss&utm_content=main&utm_campaign=rss]
- Pulse polio immunisation drive on Jan 17 [https://english.mathrubhumi.com/health/health-news/pulse-polio-immunisation-drive-on-jan-17-1.5330684]
- SII to sell vaccine for Rs 200 to govt, Rs 1,000 to public [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/national/sii-to-sell-vaccine-for-rs-200-to-govt-rs-1000-to-public-665257]
- TGA still waiting for ‘further data’ on AstraZeneca vaccine [https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/tga-still-waiting-for-further-data-on-astrazeneca-vaccine-20210104-p56rlj.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed]
- Brazil private clinics seek deal for Indian Covid vaccine [https://manilastandard.net/news/coronavirus-2019/343550/brazil-private-clinics-seek-deal-for-indian-covid-vaccine.html]
- FDA considering giving half doses of Moderna vaccine to some [https://whdh.com/news/fda-considering-giving-half-doses-of-moderna-vaccine-to-some/]
- Delivery of new doses of vaccines expected today [https://bnr.bg/en/post/101398471]
- COVID-19 Vaccines: What We Lose When We Lose Public Accountability [https://thewire.in/health/covid-19-vaccines-public-accountability]
- Covaxin: Concern over ‘rushed’ approval for India Covid jab [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-55526123]
- Brazil private clinics seek deal for Indian Covid vaccine [https://www.rfi.fr/en/brazil-private-clinics-seek-deal-for-indian-covid-vaccine]
- Pakistan Procures COVID-19 Vaccine from China [https://wadsam.com/international-business-news/pakistan-procures-covid-19-vaccine-from-china/]
- India approves two vaccines as it prepares for unprecedented immunization push [https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400632?utm_source=homepage_hilight&utm_medium=internal_referral]
- India approves two COVID-19 vaccines for emergency use [https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2021/01/03/india-approves-two-covid-19-vaccines-for-emergency-use.html]
- India gives green light to two COVID vaccines [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6219898508001]
- Coronavirus vaccine: Beijing responds to claims Japanese were given unapproved Sinopharm jabs’ [https://www.intellasia.net/coronavirus-vaccine-beijing-responds-to-claims-japanese-were-given-unapproved-sinopharm-jabs-850547]
- Zydus Cadila gets DCGI nod for Phase-3 clinical trials for Covid-19 vaccine [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210104/3685063.html]
- All Set for Roll-Out, Waiting for Vaccine to Arrive: Delhi Health Minister [https://thewire.in/health/delhi-covid-19-vaccine-health-minister]
- Govt Eyeing to Commence Covid-19 Vaccination Mid-January [https://en.tempo.co/read/1419868/govt-eyeing-to-commence-covid-19-vaccination-mid-january]
- Why India is banning the export of newly approved vaccines [https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2021/0103/Why-India-is-banning-the-export-of-newly-approved-vaccines?icid=rss]
- Pandemic might reach a turning point in summer: Leading expert [http://www.newsgd.com/news/2021-01/04/content_191935069.htm]
- Controversy around Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin approval without efficacy data [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/controversy-around-bharat-biotech-s-covaxin-approval-without-efficacy-data-121010300911_1.html]
- Over 73,000 get COVID-19 vaccines since Beijing begins inoculation [http://www.newsgd.com/news/2021-01/04/content_191935084.htm]
- India approves Covishield, Covaxin vaccines [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/01/04/india-approves-covishield-covaxin-vaccines/]